You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ElvenRed

XP award for contesting a cap

12 comments in this topic

[WHS]
[WHS]
Members
245 posts
8,193 battles

There should be a score award for contesting caps in certain situations. One case comes to mind this weekend in a standard battle when I had to drop everything I was doing and sail full speed broadside to enemy BBs that were spamming HE for weekend reasons in order to just barely catch our base from being fully capped by the enemy Fletcher and then push him out of the cap zone - at the end I got ok-ish xp and people that were part of the problem that led to the Fletcher getting there in the first place got higher scores.

In standard battles it makes sense that preventing the base from being capped should generate score, as capping it is an instant win to the capping team, but I didn't put much thought on how it could be applied to domination as well (can't be both ways as it could lead to abuse to boost xp, I guess it could work the opposite way and give the attacking player points as he is denying points to the enemy team? Or simply not apply it to domination at all)

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,479 battles

You actually do get credit for cap contesting.  This is a score factor in the XP you earn & you get feedback re: this by the green flag ribbon that shows in your upper right display whenever you hit a enemy ship trying to flip or capture a cap.  This applies to both standard battle & domination mode caps.

If you were wondering, in general, the items that go into the XP score (a couple of these are not widely recognized):

WOWS Enjoyment - Getting More XP per Game

If you've ever had trouble getting past the threshold for Campaign Tasks & Missions of the nature "Earn X Base XP in one Game" (the number is usually 1500/1600), this article explains the XP scoring sources.  Understanding this can help boost the amount of XP you earn for these types of missions and turn them from a challenge to a piece-of-cake.  There is also one source of XP that is generally not recognized that, if acted upon, can help address many forum complaints about static play and back-of-the map sniping BB tactics (and help you earn more XP as well)!

Edited by hangglide42
  • Cool 2

[TF16B]
Members
8,063 posts
17,012 battles
6 minutes ago, hangglide42 said:

You actually do get credit for cap contesting.  This is a score factor in the XP you earn & you get feedback re: this by the green flag ribbon that shows in your upper right display whenever you hit a enemy ship trying to flip or capture a cap.  This applies to both standard battle & domination mode caps.

Cap contesting can be a bit complicated though; you can only reset an easily seen cruiser or battleship so many times before it won’t do any more good. If a hidden destroyer is also there, it needs to be spotted and hit as well.

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,479 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Cap contesting can be a bit complicated though; you can only reset an easily seen cruiser or battleship so many times before it won’t do any more good. If a hidden destroyer is also there, it needs to be spotted and hit as well.

Posted an additional section re: your point and as a follow-up to the OP's question that explains what you get XP for.   The XP point totals also include spotting damage.  In your scenario, a ship would get credit for spotting the hidden capper based on how much damage is inflicted as a result of the spot, then whoever hits them would get the cap reset damage credit.

Whether this is sufficient to cover the cap contesting scenario is another question entirely, but this is how the scoring currently is set up for cap resets and spotting (apart from the credit for taking a cap itself).

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
1 hour ago, ElvenRed said:

There should be a score award for contesting caps in certain situations. One case comes to mind this weekend in a standard battle when I had to drop everything I was doing and sail full speed broadside to enemy BBs that were spamming HE for weekend reasons in order to just barely catch our base from being fully capped by the enemy Fletcher and then push him out of the cap zone - at the end I got ok-ish xp and people that were part of the problem that led to the Fletcher getting there in the first place got higher scores.

In standard battles it makes sense that preventing the base from being capped should generate score, as capping it is an instant win to the capping team, but I didn't put much thought on how it could be applied to domination as well (can't be both ways as it could lead to abuse to boost xp, I guess it could work the opposite way and give the attacking player points as he is denying points to the enemy team? Or simply not apply it to domination at all)

As it has been stated Exp is given for contesting Caps. 

It is of my opinion,that Exp should be quadrupled if you are successful. If unsuccessful only half. Trying is like horseshoes either ring it or lean it misses don't count.

[WHS]
[WHS]
Members
245 posts
8,193 battles
22 minutes ago, hangglide42 said:

Posted an additional section re: your point and as a follow-up to the OP's question that explains what you get XP for.   The XP point totals also include spotting damage.  In your scenario, a ship would get credit for spotting the hidden capper based on how much damage is inflicted as a result of the spot, then whoever hits them would get the cap reset damage credit.

Whether this is sufficient to cover the cap contesting scenario is another question entirely, but this is how the scoring currently is set up for cap resets and spotting (apart from the credit for taking a cap itself).

I'm aware of how it works now, my post is for adding another type of xp award for an action that contributes to winning the match

12 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

As it has been stated Exp is given for contesting Caps. 

It is of my opinion,that Exp should be quadrupled if you are successful. If unsuccessful only half. Trying is like horseshoes either ring it or lean it misses don't count.

In my case I was successful in actually driving the Fletcher DD out of the cap and deny instant victory to the enemy team, however I figure I forgot to mention in my op that I was in a cruiser and did not have the speed to actually spot the DD myself ; nonetheless, I still got in there and prevented them from winning the game, and did so long enough that the Fletcher gave up on capping and the edge huggers crawled their way back to the middle of the map. As the xp system currently works, I could only get  rewarded for the couple dozen k's of damage I got in the advancing he-spamming alsace and the potential damage from dodging most of the DD's torps

• Cool 1

[IKEA]
Members
139 posts
3,208 battles

I understand the defended ribbon and such, but if there's a cap with two DDs having a standoff (while trying to stay hidden and not die) I don't think there's any reward for the standoff process.  Whichever DD leaves to go harass BBs (farm damage) will yield the cap to their opponent which is probably not ideal from a team standpoint.  You could go in for a knife fight but advancing closer to the enemy side means further away from whatever support you might have on your side. 

[ARGSY]
Members
5,794 posts
3,966 battles

I wouldn't mind seeing an extra percentage XP bonus getting laid on the cap-defender ribbon if you are INSIDE said cap when you deliver the reset hit, if this is at all possible (remembering that putting yourself inside the cap stops the capture process, but does it also reset the enemy ship's capture points? AFAIK not; I've seen enemy ships get blown up or leave caps in epicentre especially, and the timer just goes marching on from where it was frozen by their entry)

Another suggestion is an XP bonus loading for killing an enemy ship when you are both inside the cap (say, 15-20% over what you would normally get if you had both been outside it).

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,479 battles
23 minutes ago, ElvenRed said:

I'm aware of how it works now, my post is for adding another type of xp award for an action that contributes to winning the match

In my case I was successful in actually driving the Fletcher DD out of the cap and deny instant victory to the enemy team, however I figure I forgot to mention in my op that I was in a cruiser and did not have the speed to actually spot the DD myself ; nonetheless, I still got in there and prevented them from winning the game, and did so long enough that the Fletcher gave up on capping and the edge huggers crawled their way back to the middle of the map. As the xp system currently works, I could only get  rewarded for the couple dozen k's of damage I got in the advancing he-spamming alsace and the potential damage from dodging most of the DD's torps

I'm with you with this concept - the desire for scoring to credit "strategically decisive actions" which aren't currently captured by the current scoring metrics would be a fantastic addition to the scoring mechanics of the game.

In addition to your scenario, and the following cap related scenarios:

• Entering a cap to arrest a cap count to prevent a loss
  • Entering a enemy cap to strategically delay scoring (but not completing a cap) - resulting in a points win
  • Spotting the hidden enemy ship that holds the majority of the capture point count

I've often thought the following also deserve credit (don't mean to be CV heavy on the suggestions, but started playing CV's in Dec & realized that a lot of strategic CV play can really influence a battle, but not a lot is reflected in the scoring for CVs):

• The flanking ship(s) that breaks open a static bow-camping BB fest game
  • The BB that choses the correct moment to charge & tank for the team breaking open a deadlocked even ship game
  • CVs getting credit for taking out strike groups (i.e. reflected as potential damage an enemy CV could have inflicted on a friendly prevented?)
  • CVs getting spotting credit for DDs in a capture point, extra points for taking out the ship in a cap point
  • CVs getting credit for keeping DDs perma spotted or pinned in their smoke
  • Friendly ships targeting enemy fighter groups to help gain air superiority for the friendlies. (The assumption is currently if DD/CL/CA/BBs target planes, it's usually the strike groups.  The gunships are rewarded for helping the friendly CV gain air superiority by taking out fighters as well which overall helps the team)
  • Perhaps scoring mechanics be modified so actions in/around Cap points receive better rewards?

A number of these require a bit of AI to assist in what currently is a forumla based on scoring metrics, so I'm not sure how practical these would be, but one can only hope....

Edited by hangglide42
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,794 posts
3,966 battles
40 minutes ago, hangglide42 said:

A number of these require a bit of AI to assist in what currently is a forumla based on scoring metrics, so I'm not sure how practical these would be, but one can only hope....

I greatly fear that a lot of them require subjective and intuitive thinking that might be beyond the reach of even a very good AI. This is not the same as saying they don't deserve rewarding.

I suspect that tasks and achievements which trigger yes/no or other simple branching decision trees are far more likely to work out in the short to medium term (e.g. were both ships in cap when the defender killed the capper? What is the type of ship the CV is spotting?)

I wish more carriers would direct their bombers over my Fiji or Cleveland when enemy fighters are pursuing to intercept, or would seek fighter vs. fighter engagements overhead friendly ships. Even a ship without much AA can put a few helpful bursts in that might tip the balance. I agree that surface ships should get a minor shoot-down bonus for killing enemy aircraft that are actively engaging friendlies, especially friendly bombers, with an extra-special bonus if they cut down the entire enemy fighter squadron before any of the bombers can be shot down.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
509 posts
5,971 battles
1 hour ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Not always.  Our team won a standard battle one ship to two for the reason that we had several ships that occupied the red cap for a large portion of the game and stopped the points counter, while the red team, while out killing us, did so on friendly ground. We were up several hundred points by the time that the red team had destroyed enough of us to go on offense. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,038 posts
12,524 battles

I agree that a lot of important actions in the game go unrewarded, but it's also very difficult to figure out how they would be detected. For instance, a destroyer in the back field tends to push battleships away, and can effectively zone them out of a huge portion of the map. However, landing torpedoes against fleeing ships is basically impossible, minus dumb luck or dumb opponents. If you ever get yourself in the position, you'll go basically unrewarded.

There are other cases that are definitely detectable, though, and don't get credit. My pet peeve is that you don't get credit for cap points you have at the end of a battle, if the cap has not completed. That means if I sit on a cap in Standard Battle and 99% cap it, then the last ship on the enemy team dies, I get nothing for the nearly 3 minutes I spent there. Soft-pushing an enemy out of an objective (rather than decapping through direct damage) should also be rewarded.

Then there's the stupid thing where killing too many enemy ships too fast ends the match and more than half the potential XP (i.e. enemy ships left unsunk) is sometimes left on the table.

• Cool 1