Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sinton

Hydro and Harekaze

7 comments in this topic

[LOS]
Members
556 posts
7,576 battles

Question for the group:  Has anyone seen an unsightly bulge hanging off the beam of Harekaze, just below the forward main turret?

I know this game is not purely realistic, but has anyone else noticed this?

When Space Wars game out I opted for the 'Space Dock'   While doing a walk around inspection of my beloved Harekaze I notice the aforementioned 'bulge' thinking that maybe she was just glad to see me.

A cursory investigation on my part turned up that some ships of the 'Kagero' type ( IJN Destroyer Type A) were retrofitted with RADAR array, but I could find no information re. Hydro-acoustic ( passive or active) fitted to this type of boat.

Walk around of the other IJN boats show no bulge of this type.  

Anyone here have a clue to help me, a former proud Sunfish and Laser Captain with more capsize events than anyone under the age of 12! 

TIA!

World of Warships 4_9_2018 7_14_08 AM.png

Edited by Sinton

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,710 posts
11,324 battles

Several ships have that or something similar. Not sure what it is.

[INTEL]
Members
747 posts
7,860 battles
1 hour ago, Sinton said:

Question for the group:  Has anyone seen an unsightly bulge hanging off the beam of Harekaze, just below the forward main turret?

I know this game is not purely realistic, but has anyone else noticed this?

When Space Wars game out I opted for the 'Space Dock'   While doing a walk around inspection of my beloved Harekaze I notice the aforementioned 'bulge' thinking that maybe she was just glad to see me.

A cursory investigation on my part turned up that some ships of the 'Kagero' type ( IJN Destroyer Type A) were retrofitted with RADAR array, but I could find no information re. Hydro-acoustic ( passive or active) fitted to this type of boat.

Walk around of the other IJN boats show no bulge of this type.  

Anyone here have a clue to help me, a former proud Sunfish and Laser Captain with more capsize events than anyone under the age of 12! 

TIA!

World of Warships 4_9_2018 7_14_08 AM.png

Thats not the beam, the beam being the widest part of a ship. The bulge is on the keel. And yes, it is a sonar dome. Whether its correct for the type or not is another question.

Edited by Ares1967

[SYN]
Members
14,370 posts
10,239 battles

Only Harekaze gets the sonar dome.

It's part of the design from the anime, which is in... like 2040 or something.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
938 posts
8,748 battles

Just about every DD in the war had a hydrophone (early passive sonar) or one of the early active Sonar sets. Wouldn’t surprise me if that was a hydrophone.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,334 posts
9,415 battles

Technical information on Japanese Hydro-acoustic technology can be found at the link below.

<removed>   -- Yes..  Technical information has been removed because..  reasons.

"The Imperial Japanese Navy at the onset of World War II used projectors based on quartz. These were big and heavy, especially if designed for lower frequencies; the one for Type 91 set, operating at 9 kHz, had a diameter of 30 inches (760 mm) and was driven by an oscillator with 5 kW power and 7 kV of output amplitude. The Type 93 projectors consisted of solid sandwiches of quartz, assembled into spherical cast iron bodies. The Type 93 sonars were later replaced with Type 3, which followed German design and used magnetostrictive projectors; the projectors consisted of two rectangular identical independent units in a cast iron rectangular body about 16 by 9 inches (410 mm × 230 mm). The exposed area was half the wavelength wide and three wavelengths high. The magnetostrictive cores were made from 4 mm stampings of nickel, and later of an iron-aluminium alloy with aluminium content between 12.7% and 12.9%. The power was provided from a 2 kW at 3.8 kV, with polarization from a 20 V, 8 A DC source.

The passive hydrophones of the Imperial Japanese Navy were based on moving-coil design, Rochelle salt piezo transducers, and carbon microphones.[13]"

Sign in to follow this