Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
J30_Reinhardt

Potential damage???

17 comments in this topic

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,337 posts
3,646 battles

Pardon the returning noob, and this is the first time I've seen it on my screen but... I somehow exceeded the 'potential damage'?

shot-18_04.09_02_29.08-0444.thumb.jpg.8150f2ce820aa6a2a2e22e703c452874.jpg

Members
116 posts
1,900 battles

Potential damage is the total amount of received and "potentially received" incoming damage.  For example, anytime a ship fires at you or launches a torp at you that is recorded as potential damage whether it hits you or not.  A high amount means that a lot of people were shooting a lot of ordnance your way and great indicator of your level of tanking in a game.  Battleships for example can rack up multiple millions of potential damage in just one game.

Your screenshot indicates that you were a particularly sneaky ninja and had only 55,200 worth of total ordnance slung your way over the whole game.

Hope it helps :)

• Cool 1

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,337 posts
3,646 battles

Thanks.. and I generally ain't a sneaky ninja in a BB. I used to be lol

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,827 battles

That is a heck of a disparity 55k, vs the sub 1k you took. Good job at being hard to hit! (72x's)

This is an important stat as a bb player, you want to have high potential damage games, as this helps by drawing shots away from the rest of the team, and that you are engaging the enemy and not camping at the rear. Also it helps to boost your xp!

I didnt get a chance to screenshot but i had a 2.4 million in spaces battles tonight. Only took 76k. At least 10 torpedo spreads sent my way only 3 hit. But these were shots and torps that my teammates didnt have to deal with. Sadly i only did 96k, no kills, but my guns had a hard time finding a target while i was dodging.

Beta Testers
1,287 posts
6,427 battles

Torps count if they pass within a certain distance of your ship.  Dodging a shima spread does wonders for that potential.

[5BS]
Members
4,477 posts
5 hours ago, Snarky_Wombat said:

Potential damage is the total amount of received and "potentially received" incoming damage. 

Not quite. Potential damage is the total amount of damage that comes within 300 *meters* of your ship. So if I launch a spread of torps at you, and they pass in another direction 10km away, this doesn't count towards potential damage. However lets say you do some torp beats, an 6 of the 10 pass within 300 meters of your ship, then it will be 6xthe max damage of those torps. Same holds true for shellfire.

[SYN]
Members
14,370 posts
10,228 battles

They need to rename it to "Blocked or evaded Incoming damage"

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,049 posts
9,289 battles

Also low potential damage numbers playing a BB indicates that you are being too passive and not using your armor effectively. So a low number here is not a good thing (unless it is a total curb stomp of a match and you have to chase ships just to get damaged).

Members
116 posts
1,900 battles
1 hour ago, _RC1138 said:

Not quite. Potential damage is the total amount of damage that comes within 300 *meters* of your ship. So if I launch a spread of torps at you, and they pass in another direction 10km away, this doesn't count towards potential damage. However lets say you do some torp beats, an 6 of the 10 pass within 300 meters of your ship, then it will be 6xthe max damage of those torps. Same holds true for shellfire.

Makes sense.  I stand corrected.  Is there a wiki or post somewhere that indicates the actual distance required for the potential damage to count?  Interested in where that comes from.

[5BS]
Members
4,477 posts
Just now, Snarky_Wombat said:

Makes sense.  I stand corrected.  Is there a wiki or post somewhere that indicates the actual distance required for the potential damage to count?  Interested in where that comes from.

I believe so. I don't remember where expressly but it's around 300 meters iirc. I know it was less than 1 km. That's why if you get shot at by hundreds of torps you dont get 10's of millions of potential damage (assuming they all miss).

[-BRS-]
Members
877 posts
7,315 battles
12 hours ago, _RC1138 said:

I believe so. I don't remember where expressly but it's around 300 meters iirc. I know it was less than 1 km. That's why if you get shot at by hundreds of torps you dont get 10's of millions of potential damage (assuming they all miss).

I was under the impression if you where targeted, then the ordnance fired at you was tallied as potential...

That being said, I feel you're right in regards to torpedoes as my record is 97 torpedoes spotted, (with undoubtedly more unspotted) fired at me, but I had a rather low potential damage. The minimal distance to be count seems to explain that particular game.

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,337 posts
3,646 battles

Okay that makes much more sense that the potential damage is against *me* since it's generally craploads higher than pictured.

Interesting.

[STW-N]
Beta Testers
263 posts
14,739 battles
On 4/9/2018 at 10:12 AM, _RC1138 said:

It's actually 500m, not 300.

Sign in to follow this