You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CLUCH_CARGO

Dry Dock Port

18 comments in this topic

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I was just watching the Dry Dock operation and noticed your ship that is parked in the berth nothing is being repaired. No Welding on your ship no gun mounts being replaced no supplies being loaded.

I ask WG Developers add some animations to show your ship in port getting the repairs from battle. 

Nothing finely detailed but guns dangling from the craines  welder sparks on and around decks. 

Activity on your ships.

What you guys think is it feasible?

• Cool 5

[TBW]
Members
6,351 posts
11,894 battles

I think it is, but then I don't work for WG.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles

There was talk, and a teaser video, ages and ages ago about adding crew members to the decks of your ship when in port... but so far the only thing we've seen of that was mister fatso dancing around on Might Mo...

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,570 posts
3,740 battles

I figured it would be a rather large task to do even for simple animations like the ones we see on the container ship.

Each ship would have to be treated individually of all the aesthetics of personnel animation, welding locations, specific equipment/modules lying around or being hung by the crane.

• Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
3,434 posts

Speaking of Ports, is there a way to see the alternative side and fix the view on that side?

I ask as the London Port is very bland looking with a bunch of factories on first look. Yet spin the view around and you have a beautiful background with a fairground and everything (the guys who created it did some great work). So can I fix the view on that scene?

• Cool 2

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Nothing finely detailed but guns dangling from the craines  welder sparks on and around the deck.

33 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

I figured it would be a rather large task to do even for simple animations like the ones we see on the container ship.

Each ship would have to be treated individually of all the aesthetics of personnel animation, welding locations, specific equipment/modules lying around or being hung by the crane.

Did you Fail to read this one important sentence?

• Bad 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,570 posts
3,740 battles
3 hours ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Nothing finely detailed but guns dangling from the craines  welder sparks on and around the deck.

Did you Fail to read this one important sentence?

Again each ship has to be treated individually for any of those simple effects. Each ship has variations on their decks and hull shapes and so those welding locations will have to be placed uniquely on those ships. You can alternatively view it as a sort of camo for these ships just like how the Bismarck and Hood got those battle damaged camos.

For the guns dangling from the cranes, would those be specific to the ship as well? Like Bismarck turrets or Iowa turrets or some random generic gun turret that will stay the same for all ships?

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,482 battles
1 hour ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

I was just watching the Dry Dock operation and noticed your ship that is parked in the berth nothing is being repaired. No Welding on your ship no gun mounts being replaced no supplies being loaded.

I ask WG Developers add some animations to show your ship in port getting the repairs from battle. 

Nothing finely detailed but guns dangling from the craines  welder sparks on and around decks. 

Activity on your ships.

Union rules. Everyone tools down :Smile_teethhappy:

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
1 hour ago, Kitsunelegend said:

There was talk, and a teaser video, ages and ages ago about adding crew members to the decks of your ship when in port... but so far the only thing we've seen of that was mister fatso dancing around on Might Mo...

Well, there IS torpedo polishing guy on the crates ship ...

It would be nice to have a Floating Dry Dock as a Harbor, like the deep water docks which can sail on their own to where they are needed. Then the worker animations could be included as part of the Harbor itself.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles
18 minutes ago, Umikami said:

It would be nice to have a Floating Dry Dock as a Harbor, like the deep water docks which can sail on their own to where they are needed. Then the worker animations could be included as part of the Harbor itself.

I'd rather they just include the animations on all ships and ports no matter what, as they said they were going to way way back when... it was something I was really looking forward to actually...

Members
3,360 posts
3,915 battles
2 hours ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Activity on your ships.

No. Simply because they would have to remount the scaffolding, etc. to match every single hullform in the game. That sounds rather complex, and fairly pointless, considering that the scene already has a lot of nice lighting and animation features. Just use your

tenor.gif?itemid=8520696

[NMKJT]
Members
2,678 posts

I would add that I would like to see female welders if they do it. All nations had their Rosie during the war

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,827 battles

I dont think sparks would be too difficult, you call up the wire frame, select a dozen or more coords for each ship, animate a variety of sparks, and program in a randomization for location and spark type. I wouldnt expect more than 1 man day.

Cranes moving about above would be fairly painless.

However, people animated on deck, crane load interacting with ship, etc, that would be painstaking animation.

Members
1,789 posts
17,407 battles
4 hours ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Activity on your ships.

They already have the sparks going in the submarine dock (Edit: Bummer...my premium runs out in 10 days...I'm gonna miss my submarine).

2 hours ago, Umikami said:

This would work...it sails up to each ship & has a standard set "work detail" for each type of ship...1 for each of the 3 docks (DDs/CA & CLs/BBs & CVs)...oh wait...you were referring to it's own port...I was thinking it could be implemented in the Dry Dock port...although there are some pretty decent animations already going on there.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

Members
1,789 posts
17,407 battles
2 hours ago, Vader_Sama said:

Again each ship has to be treated individually for any of those simple effects. Each ship has variations on their decks and hull shapes and so those welding locations will have to be placed uniquely on those ships. You can alternatively view it as a sort of camo for these ships just like how the Bismarck and Hood got those battle damaged camos.

For the guns dangling from the cranes, would those be specific to the ship as well? Like Bismarck turrets or Iowa turrets or some random generic gun turret that will stay the same for all ships?

I'm w/you on the turrets but weldng doesn't have to be on the rivets...they could just be in "set places" on each dock & be "working on a small hole the crew is covering" in the plate of the ship animation wise.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,570 posts
3,740 battles
8 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

I'm w/you on the turrets but weldng doesn't have to be on the rivets...they could just be in "set places" on each dock & be "working on a small hole the crew is covering" in the plate of the ship animation wise.

Never stated that the welding had to be as specific as being on the rivets, but the overall size and shapes of each ships varies a lot and the location of where those "set places" and "small hole" are gonna be will be different

Members
126 posts
303 battles

At the complete opposite end of the spectrum, I’d like to see a display stand port. I’ve always admired museum quality models and I think WG’s computer models would look quite attractive mounted on mahogany stands with polished brass plaques to proudly identify each of them by name.

No welders though, unfortunately.

Edited by kagero__
S’s
  • Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
16 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

oh wait...you were referring to it's own port...I was thinking it could be implemented in the Dry Dock port...although there are some pretty decent animations already going on there.

Yeah, I was suggesting a separate port that would JUST be the floating dry dock, or possibly 3 if needed. Supply and repair ships would also be nice and would round out the "harbor".