Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Usedcarjock

Rangefinding: A treatise on effective combat ranges

10 comments in this topic

[SEALZ]
Members
526 posts
5,230 battles

A common difficulty I witness on the battlefield on a day to day basis is in the understanding of effective combat ranges. While the simplest example is the battleship at the border, another example is an ally not understanding from their position what is effective or not. For instance, a DD in a cap circle yelling at a battleship 12 km away from his position to quote, “Quit sniping you useless nitwit,” may not realize his ally can still hit the cruiser 2 km from the DD’s present position. A BB does not need to be up the “aft” of their friendly DD to be effective. However, they also need to be within a reasonable distance to be effective. So what are these combat ranges? Well each line has their own version.

The IJN, especially at high tier, I tend to give a pass at ranges over 14 km. Yamato especially has a serious shortage of WD40, and relies on distance to keep itself alive. However, 16-18 km is the absolute maximum distance I want to see these ships fighting at. While yes they can hit targets up to 26 km away, and yes they have extremely accurate guns, those guns will still have difficulty hitting targets effectively. 

The RN, USN, and French I tend play at around 12-14 km distance. The effectiveness of the RN and USN concealment allows them to sneak up on their unsuspecting target and unleash a salvo before its too late. These ships can get away with brawling to a degree, the RN especially, however that 12-14 km range is a good sweet spot.

The KM I find is best suited between 10-12 km. The inaccuracy and finite amount of guns means that making every hit count is paramount. Keeping that hit ratio up requires closing the distance to a degree. These ships thrive at close range, and should be a driving force towards the enemy fleet.

Tl:dr Each line has their own effective combat ranges. While you may see a ship 10 km away from you doesn’t mean he is out of position. At the same time you want to put your ship in the correct position to fit your ship’s niche. Play to your strengths and minimize your weaknesses.

• Cool 2

[TF16B]
Members
8,065 posts
17,029 battles
17 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

The RN, USN, and French I tend play at around 12-14 km distance.

Effective range; = Close enough to hit things?

I can't seem to get RNG worth a flying flip outside 10k in Normandie, so I tend to fight inside that.

Not much more and the full build secondaries open up.

22 minutes ago, Usedcarjock said:

Yamato especially has a serious shortage of WD40, and relies on distance to keep itself alive. However, 16-18 km is the absolute maximum distance I want to see these ships fighting at

Sure, I can hit things in Musashi at these ranges... Except that RNG gives me a big fat flying bird, to go along with all the lolfail overpens.

Again, I tend to fight much closer.

Something I read in a Strike Witches manga once is applicable here, and can be expressed thusly;

"If you can't hit anything; get closer until you can."

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,827 battles

The problem isnt just by nation, each ship has a particular set of skills.

Some dds are cappers, some are contestors, some are ninjas.

Bb have some that are best at long, med, short ranges. Some are better flankers, etc.

Cruisers are even more varied.

This doesnt even begin to account for unsual capt skills, composition of the teams, upgrade status, and the competence of the player.

Until someone has played in that ship at least a dozen games, they should keep their mouth shut about judging positioning.

• Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

I'd give you a +1, but it looks like I'm out. I just got the Nagato back, and I'm already sick of people yelling at me to "move up" and get in the fight. Buddy I've got long range, crap armor, turn like the Titanic, and the only thing I'm beating in a race is a Colorado. Does that sound like a close-up brawler to you?

Members
17,795 posts
5,084 battles

Another thing a lot of people don't think about is that, when you close into brawling range, your ability to engage fast-moving targets with main guns is degraded, because the closer you get, the faster your guns have to track to be able to hit.

Secondaries can help make up for that, but pretty much only if you have decent ones and spec for them.

[SYN]
Members
14,378 posts
10,239 battles

Catching reds inside of 12km is extremely effective as most BBs, but since most situations don't allow that, as close as my concealment and escape plan allows.

Yamasushi I wouldn't bother getting closer than 16km, because lol turret traverse and your mere presence is enough to scare off most ships. (of course, you need to be able to hit ships to be frightening to the reds, so make sure you practice aiming with them)

Edited by MrDeaf

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,049 posts
9,289 battles

All good points. +1

One thing that annoys the hell out of me on a daily basis and see it too often in all tiers is when you see friendly DD and BBs chasing ships who are heading away from cap areas and the BBs continue to be drawn away to get to almost point blank range of their target instead of just shooting at them from say 15k since the DD is keeping them lit while maintaining a position to go back towards caps and still being able to hit targets near the caps.

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

I want my BB allies to be close but not behind me. I want them far, but not at the wall. Obviously these are different ships but like with CVs, the closer you are, the more effective you can be. The further you are, the more time it takes to do things.

Example

• Too far
    • Enemy---------------------------------------------------------------------------------<<Ally>>----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>>Allied BB
  • Too close
    • Enemy---------------------------------------------------------------------------------<<<Ally<<<Allied BB-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Just right
    • Enemy-----------------------------------------------------------------------------<<<Ally------------------------------------------------<<Allied BB------------------------------------------------------
Edited by Vangm94

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

But just like ships in the game, it's all about enemy intel and adjusting to it. As a CV player, one of my main goals is to find and shadow the enemy, watching 6 enemy BBs and their CAs be at the front engaging 8 allied CAs and DDs while 2 BBs are at the wall shooting and 2 other BBs are getting swarmed by DDs in a different area sucks because I found the enemy but no one did anything.

Edited by Vangm94

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,827 battles
17 hours ago, Landsraad said:

I'd give you a +1, but it looks like I'm out. I just got the Nagato back, and I'm already sick of people yelling at me to "move up" and get in the fight. Buddy I've got long range, crap armor, turn like the Titanic, and the only thing I'm beating in a race is a Colorado. Does that sound like a close-up brawler to you?

Havent driven Nagato yet, but from what i have seen on the red side...trolish armor (for my shots at least) slow, and somewhat clumsy. She does seem to be one where she could tank some, but that is all.

I do want to clarify my post though. Bbs on the one line, when the reds are in a flat formation on line 7/8 is a little too far back, two line or maybe 3 is fine. you still want to be able to accept some incoming fire. Also no matter how long range it can shoot doeant mean dispersion isnt better closer up.

Sign in to follow this