You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Premium Ship Review: Graf Spee & HSF Graf Spee

91 comments in this topic

Members
3,554 posts
6,867 battles
6 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Experts will appreciate the variety of game play this ship offers which is an interesting departure from the norm, but overall her slow speed and small number of main-battery guns limits her flexibility.

A fine review. You need to amp up her speed with flags, fire suppression with flags and captain skills, and definitely reduce detection range anyway you can.

A situational ship that relies on the acute minimap awareness at all times.

This ship, along with the Molotov and others, is what premium ships should be in WoWs--something truly unique and challenging--not just a tech tree clone with some frill.

Not to mention the fact that along with the Atago and Hood, she is visually a beauty. For a collector this counts for a lot. Nice review thanks.

• Cool 3

[JKSDF]
[JKSDF]
Members
1,601 posts
2,491 battles

Be careful Mouse! You might trigger people with those girls! :Smile_hiding:

But fine review!

[VVV]
[VVV]
Members
682 posts
10,368 battles

Couldn't agree with this review more Mouse plus +1  

[WOLFB]
Members
209 posts
4,682 battles

As a rabid Graf Spee lover, i must say...

gin17lW.gif.f802e5fe10fd96291dbb162c299fa41b.gif

[HINON]
Supertester
18,993 posts
12,488 battles

RAJhG5O.gif

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 3

[BBICT]
Members
3,352 posts
3,540 battles

Love the Spee! I did the mission for the boring non HSF one...but should have just bought the thing. She is my favorite Tier 6. Vending machine of pain if played well. 

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles

Yeah, this is one of my favorite ships.  Love the durability, and, if you're shooting at DDs in early game, 11-inch AP overpens are nice.  I just hang back enough that the DDs aren't going to come after me, at least not early.  If I have to deal with one later, well, I have good durability, and I'm not usually utterly alone with a DD.   If I have to take one on even up, they forgot the torps exist half the time.   Those torps are so nice.  Other ships forget she has them.  Also, BBs forget I have bigger guns, and will give me broadsides for free, which I will punch right through given a chance.  As you say, the big paydays don't come often, but it's nice steady damage, and if a startle the BB with a couple good pens, and he turns his broadside to even bigger guns, that's a win.  Of course, derp too much with a BB around, and you'll get drowned, but, that happens to anyone, really.  

Also, Operations.  My son (he's 14) and I team up, he's usually in a BB, and I'll bring HSF Graf Spee.  We leave a trail of badly-damaged ships behind us.  There's *always* a Cleveland or two along, it seems, and they love to get fat while securing kills on those damaged boats while my son and I reload our big guns.  We don't mind.  More than once he and I have been two of the top three in an operation, with the third being the Cleveland that followed us.

• Cool 2

Members
126 posts
303 battles

Thank you for the updated review, even longtime Spee players will find much that is useful in your analysis.

Of late, I’ve been running my 19pt Bismarck commander with a dedicated secondary build on the Graf Spee and while it’s probably not the best build, it has proven reasonably effective and turned the ship into a surprising and very enjoyable brawler. I’m curious to know if you’ve experimented at all with a secondary build, @LittleWhiteMouse, and if so, what conclusions you were able to draw.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,072 posts
7,618 battles
22 minutes ago, kagero__ said:

I’m curious to know if you’ve experimented at all with a secondary build, @LittleWhiteMouse, and if so, what conclusions you were able to draw.

I put all sorts of commanders in HSF Graf Spee and tested them out, including my Graf Zeppelin commander with no real applicable skills that would work with Spee.  On the opposite end, she worked just as well with my Bismarck (full secondary, including IFHE) commander and perfectly fine with my destroyer commanders too.  In regards to secondaries specifically, she just doesn't have the range (or tier) to make massive secondary investments work.  As I state in my review, she's almost there, but not quite.  An extra kilometer of range or if she was tier VII to make full use of Manual Fire Control for Secondary Armament would have made it more interesting.

[TF57]
Members
496 posts
6,467 battles

The best addition you ever made to these reviews were the diagrams and infographics. I love them! 

[TBW]
Members
6,354 posts
11,905 battles

I will have to play her more often to get to like her I think. Nice review once again Miss Mouse.

• Cool 1

[NUWES]
Members
1,644 posts
5,494 battles

Thanks for re-reviewing her Mouse. :Smile_great: Spee is one of my favorite ships and I have some of my best winrates in her. The ship is a bully if you know how to use her. Like you said, the key is to survive into the middle and late game when things tend to get close and personal and enemy BBs have closed the range. By then your guns have stacked up a good bit of damage and you can close on unwary BBs and torp them.  Gunboat DDs are Spee's biggest problem. If they stay at range and pepper you there isn't a lot you can do except to turn away and try to break contact behind an island. 

[SIM]
Members
2,456 posts
4,093 battles

Great review Mouse, thanks (and thanks to all of your Patrons for helping to keep this thing going).

[WOLFB]
Members
1,672 posts
8,070 battles

Her defense is kinda deceptive. You have great HP for the tier and also heal but at the same time you hit massive damage from BB and your armor is so think even DD can melt you down if you're not carefull. Also HE spam cruiser are so effective against this ship. But it still a fun ship to play 

Edited by AlcatrazNC

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,240 posts
3,126 battles

Great updated review, Miss Maus.

She's also one of my favorite ship, and also my most played so far. Such a fun ship to take into Tier VI Operations and Coops. The Defensive Fire consumable kinda makes her average AA still perform surprisingly good.

As Miss Maus said, this ship would be nothing if it weren't for the Repair Party consumable. She eats damage like popcorn, thanks to her poor speed and concealment that make her easy to be focused, so the consumable is pretty much her life blood, crutch, and salvation all rolled into one. I personally would recommend Superintendent as THE first 3 point skill. No but's and if's. Anyone commanding this ship needs that extra heal, period.

Edited by Blorgh2017

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles

Nice review, sums up the Graf Spee well to me. I personally love this ship and find her to be a great little "pocket dreadnought" to support from the second line or go in and hammer overeager light cruisers with. Honestly I wish we had more unique ships in game like this. Heck I'm even rethinking my position on the Asashio thinking about it, though I'm still dreading the confusion her new torps will bring.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
2 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

I personally would recommend Superintendent as THE first 3 point skill. No but's and if's. Anyone commanding this ship needs that extra heal, period.

I have a 10-point Captain on her.  3-point skill is Superintendent, yes, so I agree.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,993 posts
12,488 battles
29 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

you hit massive damage from BB and your armor is so think even DD can melt you down if you're not carefull.

The other T6 CA aren't any better in that respect though.

[UCF]
[UCF]
Members
21 posts
5,475 battles

Thanks for this new review for these ships Mouse(and supporters).  Always enjoy reading these and have learned a lot form them.  I also have to say this is one of my favorite ships.

[CMFRT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
693 posts
1,687 battles

I really like Graf Spee, shes pretty enjoyable to play for such a slow ship. I didnt realize she had different guns when compared to Scharnhorst, given they share turret and gun models.