You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Gear_Jamer

clan joining

6 comments in this topic

[PC]
Members
82 posts
3,132 battles

just out of curiosity can a clan help a player get better but this is deal i play but not that often because i drive truck. yes i have been playing awhile but aiming is still an problem can't seem to get alot more citadel hits i understand that they are a freak chance but i may get 1 out of a three game deal. I feel if i was better i might look into one but was just asking.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,724 posts
11,347 battles

Just playing with people and listening to their criticism will help. Don't necessarily need a clan for that. Try enabling replays, sharing them here, then taking the feedback to heart. Or maybe hop on the NA community discord.

• Cool 1

[EREKT]
[EREKT]
Members
48 posts
6,102 battles

Joining a clan that has members on 24/7 can really help so someone is always on to div with. The best players rarely play alone. You can learn a lot by just getting on a clan chat or discord and talking over things. 

• Cool 1

[NEP]
[NEP]
Members
30 posts
9,580 battles

I will recommend [ADOPT] to you. They're an improvement-friendly clan who can give you some pointers for you to go forward.

Thread: 

Members
9 posts
121 battles

I hate to be negative, Gear_Jammer, but the chances of getting better just by playing with others is poor.

The key to success in WoWS is gun accuracy. Your ability to place shells on enemy ships is paramount. If you miss a lot, your battleships and cruisers will underperform, while your destroyers will need to avoid knife-fights as much as most Japanese DDs. You can improve your accuracy against broadside enemies by going to the dynamic gunsight and understanding it's assumptions, by watching youtube presentations on how to use guns, and google around for articles, but ultimately it's just practice. Thousands and thousands of battles of practice. The more you understand gunnery, and see the effect of accuracte gunnery against broadside targets, the more you'll understand the importance of angling, of using islands to screen yourself from extra enemies, etc. Furthermore, the better your gunnery, the more damage you'll do, which helps your side achieve victory.

In theory, a division should be stronger than the sum of its parts, as the players work together to support each other. In reality, most divisions see individual members choosing their own most advantageous path quickly, and pursue it for the whole battle. Very few players are good enough to be excellent support. It takes a special expertise to understand how to use a each ship as a support, and adjust it's maneuvering and attacks accordingly. Most of the time, if you "div-up" with better players, their superior skills increase the chances your team will win. But their superior skills won't really increase the chance of you magically becoming a better player.

Finally, although many guilds advertise their great teaching and/or mentors, you're up against significant issues:

• Training times may not match your schedule.
  • Training sessions you attend are topic-based; the topic may not be that useful to you at the moment.
  • Almost no trainers have professional training and experience in education. Understanding how to present material for visual, auditory AND kinesthetic (hands-on) learners is imperative, but very few trainers have the professional training to do this. Therefore, you'll have to rely on being lucky enough that your learning style matches how the trainer teaches.
  • Finally, even with the best teachers, and a desire to learn, gaining real skill is hard work. Maybe not as hard as learning virtuoso level violin or piano, but it's definitely up there. Ever take instrument lessons? Remember how important it was to practice every day? Yep, WoWS is that kind of game.
  • There is always the possibility the guild people playing when you can play might not have a personality that appeals to you, and vice versa. Learning goes out the window when there are personality clashes.

A few guilds have mentor programs. If you're lucky enough to join one of those, some of the above issues go away - if you luck into a good mentor who lives on your schedule. However, some of the problems are just insurmountable, especially the importance of professional education training/experience for the mentor, and the need for daily practice by the student.

Edited by SeaBeaver