Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_1204_

DC2 or Steering gears on BBs?

11 comments in this topic

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

Typically I go for damage control 2, because that + BOS leads to like 40 second fires which is really nice. But a lot of people swear by steering gears for torp dodging, wiggling, and so on. What do you all use on your BBs? And is BoS a worthwhile commander skill with (or without) DC2?

Thanks!

[VW]
Members
1,832 posts
12,276 battles

Depends on the bb. A doy or kgv for example needs rudder because they turn like a cargo container ship filled to the brim with lukewarm ale and fish and chips. The miz on the other hand i run damage con cause she turns well enough already.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,495 posts
2,050 battles

I run Rudder shift on my BBs. I like to be able to dodge things. I run the USN. If it was KMS, i'd probably go damage con. I can handle DOT damage with DC and heal. It's really a personal preference based on play style.

I don't think BOS is worth it even on my 19 pointer. EM is the go to skill, and if I had an extra 2 pts I'd go AR. Even if I didn't spec AFT for AA, I'd go fire reduction. I can count on one hand how often BOS would have made a difference. All the others have saved my butt multiple times. (I run PT, EM, SI, BFT, CE, AFT, PM and EL because it's Seagal).

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
11,331 battles

Depends on the BB and my captain build, but more often than not... DC2

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,602 posts
14,017 battles

My more nimble Tier VIII and below BBs, I tend to adopt SGM2.  But more and more of my Tier IX-X BBs, I'm slotting DCSM2.  Agility was never a strong suit of IX-X BBs, IMO, SGM doesn't really change all too much for them.

For IX-X, I used to keep SGM2 on them, without a doubt.  But after a while, it came to a simple realization that those IX-X BB rudder shifts will be atrocious no matter what.  Montana, Republique, Alsace, GK, Yamato, Musashi, Conqueror, Lion have DCSM2.  My FDG is still sporting SGM2 because she's more of an overgrown Bismarck.  My Iowa / Missouri are still SGM2 because for those 2 showing sides any longer than they need to is a dangerous prospect.  Call it a paranoid habit from when IX-X USN BBs had skyscraper citadels, but Iowa / Missouri sides have always felt like Pensacola armor to me.

Anyways, the nice thing about DCSM2 is it lets you sneak in a BOS-like trait without sacrificing captain points for the trait itself.  If you go Full Survival with BOS, FP, and DCSM2 on top of that, as well as proper consumables use, you're looking very good against fires.

Meanwhile, you can compensate for normal rudder shift on your BB with smarter sailing.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
1,509 posts
7,947 battles

Hey

I run Steering Gears on mine; since I prefer to have some ability to dodge; unless it slow, completely unmaneuverable or have no AA capability then I would consider damage control 2.  Bigger the ship the more DC2 works better since like my FDG, it can't get out of it's own shadow.  My Missouri handles rather nicely and good AA, so I run SG2.

Pete

Members
2,274 posts
7,330 battles

I mostly use DC module and reply on situation awarness to dodge. With all the HE spam, that reduction in fire duration is a lot. Even with rudder mudule, most BBs still have terrible rudder shift time.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,378 posts
10,158 battles
19 hours ago, WolfofWarship said:

I usually prefer steering gears just to give myself a bit more movement

This.

Dodging torps in those big lumbering high tier BB's with such massive turning radiuses and slow rudders is a lot easier with SGM2. IMOA. IT also helps in brawls and when in and around islands.

• Cool 1

[DRACS]
Members
3,350 posts

Rudder on all mine except the Hood. On Hood, I actually use the Propulsion mod as her rudder time is already pretty good and I want to strengthen her best feauture: her speed.

[DRG_N]
Members
407 posts
582 battles

Given the stupid buff torps are getting, Steering Gears over DamCon is going to be the way to go.

We'll never be able to out-repair the flooding via skillwall, so hoping damage control will save you is suicide now.  Which I expect to last a single path rotation before the continued shrieking from the DD mafia will get steering gears nerfed and BB mobility further reduced.

Sign in to follow this