You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
guardian1816

Torpedo Woes

22 comments in this topic

Members
7 posts
767 battles

I have played a ton of battles in various ships and the Japanese Destroyer line seems to be my favorite, but its not without problems.  A question that I keep yelling at my tv is "how the *bleep* did he dodge those!?"  I seem to be missing some exploit, glitch, or whatever when it comes to basic turning in these ships.  I have seen battleships, cruisers, and carriers all dodge torps when they are launched at extremely close range when by all account they shouldn't miss.  If you ask while in a game the best response you can hope for is either a "you suck" or some witty comment about your mother.  So I am asking in here and hoping to get a better response. 

I know not all ships are created equal, but ive seen this enough times to know there has to be something more going on.  If its a rudder shift module, does it really help that much?

I know this might be a noob question, but please indulge me.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,219 posts
8,804 battles

The famed WASD hack.

Members
1,178 posts
501 battles

use the white "AIMING GUIDE" as a guide... and watch it before you shoot... is it moving right or left?? the that means the enemy is turning or slowing... judge and adjust.... after a while your judgment will help you lead or lag enough to get one or two hits... which per salvo is pretty good these days...

I use the torp guide to see if an opponent  that is behind a rock is moving or not to know where I want to be to shoot him.... it helps for more than torps...LOL

[VW]
Members
1,846 posts
12,290 battles

The grey triangle only works consistently at tier 5 or below. When you progress people change course all the time you need to study their movements and then torp. 

Edited by monpetitloup
  • Cool 2

[5D]
Members
2,222 posts
14,024 battles
1 minute ago, monpetitloup said:

The grey triangle only works consistently at tier 5 or below. When you progress people change course all the tile you need to study their movements and then torp. 

^^^ This

[WORX]
Members
1,652 posts
12,706 battles

for close range torp training, nothing beats the IJN DD Ishokaze, and the German DD V-140.  Torping is not easy. Practice makes BB drivers batty.

Members
7 posts
767 battles

oook I didnt feel the need to add this part, but since you are giving advice for a day 1 player....   I understand the very basics of how the game works and the torpedo aiming bit.   The battle that boat me hear was at 3.5km in a Kiev vs a cruiser that was almost stopped.   10 torpes in a wall in the direction he was going and where he was going to be.   Kievs torps go 65 knots...he turned 90 degrees stupid fast.

Members
1,178 posts
501 battles
17 minutes ago, guardian1816 said:

oook I didnt feel the need to add this part, but since you are giving advice for a day 1 player....   I understand the very basics of how the game works and the torpedo aiming bit.   The battle that boat me hear was at 3.5km in a Kiev vs a cruiser that was almost stopped.   10 torpes in a wall in the direction he was going and where he was going to be.   Kievs torps go 65 knots...he turned 90 degrees stupid fast.

what cruiser??? some turn pretty hard and fast... plus if he hit the brakes just as you launched he was not going to be there anyway... and the turn seemed faster.. it is tough...

and you are a day one player and you already have a KIEV??? you ne to spend a  bit more time in lower tiers... 4 is good... your % in the kiev is too low to jump right into that ship...
PLUS even with 8KM torps now it is still mostly a gun boat...
I suggest not uptiering so fast....
Maybe go back down and practice a bit....
And you should play your clemson way more.... it is, IMHO I great ship to practice multi tasking in as the torp range is short enough that once you get good at torping ships in it the other ships will be CAKE....
Good luck and fair seas...

Edited by neptunes_wrath

Members
4,461 posts
6,195 battles

Just curious OP.  Are you shooting torps at wide spread or narrow spread?

Members
7 posts
767 battles

not day 1  few months in...  i think the cruiser was an edinbough  (spelling is probably wrong but close enough)

Members
7 posts
767 battles
Just now, dmckay said:

Just curious OP.  Are you shooting torps at wide spread or narrow spread?

those were narrow 

Members
1,178 posts
501 battles
1 minute ago, guardian1816 said:

not day 1  few months in...  i think the cruiser was an edinbough  (spelling is probably wrong but close enough)

they gain speed in a turn so that might be part of it...

1 minute ago, guardian1816 said:

those were narrow 

and that might be the other part... LOL

keep at it... you'll get it

[HINON]
Members
8,854 posts
16 minutes ago, guardian1816 said:

Rn cruisers accelerate and decelerate faster than other cruisers iirc.

Members
603 posts
7,016 battles

ya...some are indeed hard to torp even at close range.

from my experience, those have their rudder occupied are the easiest (meaning those turning to show board side ) because they can't really turn anymore

2nd should be those sailing straight / stopped in smoke (some say they are easiest, but I since they can still turn, I found them not as easy)

the others are really hard and need lot of luck. some times I wish all DD can have RN single launcher. that makes it easier to hit bow on ships

Members
7 posts
767 battles

good information guys thanks...really dont like the answer...memorize all the boats and what you are going up against.  LOL  

While we are looking at the thread, anyone have good ways to rush a cap point and not be one of the first dead?  lol

Members
603 posts
7,016 battles
1 hour ago, guardian1816 said:

good information guys thanks...really dont like the answer...memorize all the boats and what you are going up against.  LOL  

While we are looking at the thread, anyone have good ways to rush a cap point and not be one of the first dead?  lol

before going into the cap. locate a few thing.

1. a torp route which you can release torp and limit enemy movement / even score a hit

2. locate cover which you can hide if enemy rush in with radar / hydro

3. prepare a escape route if you can't win the cap

Going into the cap

1. avoid going head in to the enemy direction. you won't have enough time to turn away if you do that (I play IJN DD most, and I always plan to have the ship butt facing the enemy)

2. avoid using smoke and sit still (you gonna create torp trap for you / your team) unless you know that smoke is gonna benifit you to secure the cap

3. locate your friendly locaton so you are not over extending / torping at friendly route

My suggestion is it is fine to give up a cap for better positioning cos you can always go contest it again. A sunk ship can't do anything. the piority is to keep yourself alive.

it is important to find a balance between aggrassive and survival. blindly charging into enemy is just as useless as sitting at the back and do nothing.

hope it help

[WOLFB]
Members
1,668 posts
8,063 battles
10 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

Rn cruisers accelerate and decelerate faster than other cruisers iirc.

Accelerate faster yes

Decelerate faster....not really actually

[DOG]
Members
385 posts
5,606 battles

You've got various problems working against you when trying to land torpedo hits.  I'm not the best player, but some things I've noticed:

• Players don't like getting hit with torpedoes, and will go to great lengths to avoid them.  With BBs, this involves hiding/ducking behind islands, or just not moving up toward the caps, or running to the opposite end of the map the instant it looks like they might not have an overwhelming advantage on your side of the map.  This might not be a bad thing for your team, since it means your continued existence in the game is acting as a deterrent to them effectively helping their team.
  • As others have mentioned, the WASD hack.  This gets worse as you move up the tiers, since BBs get more maneuverable, and just about as fast as cruisers.
  • Aircraft.  Their torpedo spotting will wreck that stealth run you just spent 5 minutes setting up.
  • Hydro.  Same as aircraft.
  • Radar.  The moment you are spotted, they will assume torpedoes are in the water, even if they can't see them yet.
  • Enemy DDs.  See aircraft and hydro.

BBs are your easiest targets.  I usually don't bother shooting torps at cruisers unless it is point blank range.  They will almost always dodge them.  Oddly enough, I think I've hit way more DDs than cruisers with torps, usually by blind firing into smoke, or because they got in the way of that BB I was actually aiming at.  (I actually sunk a Khab last night with 2 torpedoes.  He was helping a Fletcher contest a cap.  He saw me shooting at the Fletcher, and probably assumed I also launched all my torps at it.  But I launched half to the other side of the island he was running behind.  He couldn't resist coming out the other side to try to gun me down, and walked right into them.)

Members
7 posts
767 battles
4 hours ago, zubalkabir said:

BBs are your easiest targets.  I usually don't bother shooting torps at cruisers unless it is point blank range.  They will almost always dodge them.  Oddly enough, I think I've hit way more DDs than cruisers with torps, usually by blind firing into smoke, or because they got in the way of that BB I was actually aiming at.  (I actually sunk a Khab last night with 2 torpedoes.  He was helping a Fletcher contest a cap.  He saw me shooting at the Fletcher, and probably assumed I also launched all my torps at it.  But I launched half to the other side of the island he was running behind.  He couldn't resist coming out the other side to try to gun me down, and walked right into them.)

Yeah I am probably the guy you hit by shooting into the smoke  LOL   That or I have a tendency to run into those randomly fired torpedoes all the time

Members
1,672 posts
9,749 battles

Best torp guide I have found to teach people with

I will launch torps at anything.  I kill more DDs than BBs with my IJN DDs.  Part of the effect of torping a CA is potentially setting up a team mate to blap them with AP.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

[NFE]
Members
36 posts
2,765 battles

A principle that I know in my heart, but have to keep reminding myself of, is this: If you are rushing a cap, and you see four heavy enemy ships heading your direction, you can be sure there is an enemy DD in front of them, and you are about to be spotted and lit up. Get out. Now.

SkyRail's advice is very good.