Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Dreadnaught_

WoWS is the best WG game because of Risky Creativity

11 comments in this topic

[DRED]
Alpha Tester
600 posts
4,312 battles

I've come back from a 2-3 year hiatus (idk what I've missed before last November) and I've stayed because of how fun, risky and varied the content can be! Here's what I mean in a nice listy list. :D

1. Compare the WG Game Center Client news topics between WoWS, WoT and WoWP for the past few months. It's a night and day difference! WoT and WoWP have sterile sales/discounts news topics that could be automated from a Twitter bot while WoWS has creative player improvement/advice topics,  Dasha and Alena instead of generic movie trailer voices, and engaging mission events every month.

1.5. Case in Point - FishFeed -  https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/gif-or-jif/  At first I thought it was a lame April Fools joke, but now I want it to last after April because the "articles" are relatable, funny and I think the writers like to make them too.  

2. Loot Boxes Done Right: Instead of easily gate-keeping loot boxes for cash-only like the Star Wars Battlefront II system, there's almost always an earn-to-get method. Also, there are so many kinds of containers to get - French, Space, Bismarck, dailies, etc. 

3. Every week has something unexpected and unpredictable. Especially if you don't check the Monthly missions articles. YOU WANT A KITTY COMMANDER? YOU DO NOW!

4. Community Interaction Sweepstakes and Lotteries: Simply by playing certain ships at certain tiers you could get a permanent camo or a free premium ship if you can play (well) enough in the December campaigns, Flag-o-Rama events, and the Youtube Dasha All But Patches videos.

5. I have a hunch that the WoWS leadership team/employees have more creative freedom than WoWP and WoT and it shows in the variety of fresh content which results in positive community feedback, thus creating a feedback loop for more creative decision making. The WoWS team CAN make creative decisions,  thus when these decisions are successful (even if you don't like them) it becomes impossible for WoWS to become stale. WoT and WoWP... are stale and boring. :/

6. WoWS Staff Best Staff. Anything else I'm missing?

Edited by _Dreadnaught_
WoT and WoWP need to git gud
  • Cool 6

[-BSS-]
Members
386 posts
5,956 battles

Agree, this is a unique community and relationship in my experience 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,726 battles
1 hour ago, _Dreadnaught_ said:

I've come back from a 2-3 year hiatus (idk what I've missed before last November) and I've stayed because of how fun, risky and varied the content can be! Here's what I mean in a nice listy list. :D

1. Compare the WG Game Center Client news topics between WoWS, WoT and WoWP for the past few months. It's a night and day difference! WoT and WoWP have sterile sales/discounts news topics that could be automated from a Twitter bot while WoWS has creative player improvement/advice topics,  Dasha and Alena instead of generic movie trailer voices, and engaging mission events every month.

1.5. Case in Point - FishFeed -  https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/common/gif-or-jif/  At first I thought it was a lame April Fools joke, but now I want it to last after April because the "articles" are relatable, funny and I think the writers like to make them too.  

2. Loot Boxes Done Right: Instead of easily gate-keeping loot boxes for cash-only like the Star Wars Battlefront II system, there's almost always an earn-to-get method. Also, there are so many kinds of containers to get - French, Space, Bismarck, dailies, etc. 

3. Every week has something unexpected and unpredictable. Especially if you don't check the Monthly missions articles. YOU WANT A KITTY COMMANDER? YOU DO NOW!

4. Community Interaction Sweepstakes and Lotteries: Simply by playing certain ships at certain tiers you could get a permanent camo or a free premium ship if you can play (well) enough in the December campaigns, Flag-o-Rama events, and the Youtube Dasha All But Patches videos.

5. I have a hunch that the WoWS leadership team/employees have more creative freedom than WoWP and WoT and it shows in the variety of fresh content which results in positive community feedback, thus creating a feedback loop for more creative decision making. The WoWS team CAN make creative decisions,  thus when these decisions are successful (even if you don't like them) it becomes impossible for WoWS to become stale. WoT and WoWP... are stale and boring. :/

6. WoWS Staff Best Staff. Anything else I'm missing?

Yes. A players experience with a game is informed by more than just the game play itself.

WoWs always has something fun and fresh to keep players coming back. 

A great post, OP. It's not something I had ever really thought of before. Now I don't mind spending money on premium!

• Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
3,263 posts

Good to be reminded every now and then.  Thanks.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles

True.   WoWS is unique.  There's nothing out quite like it.  The other Russian company is dabbling in boats, but not ships, and what I've seen of their approach isn't going to work well above the DD level.   

[DRED]
Alpha Tester
600 posts
4,312 battles
2 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

True.   WoWS is unique.  There's nothing out quite like it.  The other Russian company is dabbling in boats, but not ships, and what I've seen of their approach isn't going to work well above the DD level.   

Their submarine mode for April Fools was so realistic I almost fell asleep. Realistic textures does not equate to a engaging game you want to play after you've seen the seen the same map/vehicles at ultra settings. 

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
Just now, _Dreadnaught_ said:

Their submarine mode for April Fools was so realistic I almost fell asleep. Realistic textures does not equate to a engaging game you want to play after you've seen the seen the same map/vehicles at ultra settings. 

I was talking about their PT Boat/DD testing they've been doing.  Their damage model stuff works great in tanks and planes, but falls flat above a certain size of ship, imo.

[DRED]
Alpha Tester
600 posts
4,312 battles
1 hour ago, legozer said:

Yes. A players experience with a game is informed by more than just the game play itself.

WoWs always has something fun and fresh to keep players coming back. 

A great post, OP. It's not something I had ever really thought of before. Now I don't mind spending money on premium!

I just want to know what I missed out on for the past few years since last November, but I also don't want to know because I missed out on it. Please tell me what I missed and also don't tell me. :D

[DRED]
Alpha Tester
600 posts
4,312 battles
Just now, mavfin87 said:

I was talking about their PT Boat/DD testing they've been doing.  Their damage model stuff works great in tanks and planes, but falls flat above a certain size of ship, imo.

I thought you still had to pay for the PT Boat access, haven't checked in a while. War Thunder flight combat doesn't interest me. The tanks and bombing is cool once in a while.

Alpha Tester
761 posts
1,358 battles
10 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

The other Russian company is dabbling in boats, but not ships, and what I've seen of their approach isn't going to work well above the DD level.   

Well, there is a ton more mechanics and features that are in the works, and yeah, it takes time to complete a complex game based off of reality scenarios

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
1 hour ago, _Dreadnaught_ said:

I thought you still had to pay for the PT Boat access, haven't checked in a while. War Thunder flight combat doesn't interest me. The tanks and bombing is cool once in a while.

To each his own, of course.  

Sign in to follow this