You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sir_Davos_Seaworth

If you could have one "modern" ship in the game...

80 comments in this topic

[WORX]
Members
1,635 posts
12,682 battles

This one is easy, the John F Kennedy class CV USS John F Kennedy. For its history serving the nation from

• In commission: 7 September 1968 – 1 August 2007

The reason being, she has an island with a unique silhouette. Because of the decision of US Congress during halfway of her construction to make her conventional instead of Nuclear powered propulsion, her exhaust is truly one of a kind. The pics below shows what I mean. You would know, "Big John" is sailing  just by her unique island exhaust silhouette. The Nuke exhaust was constructed/mounted already *Big Problem*. So, an  adaptation of her exhaust had to be made and the Pictures below shows the finish product.

JFKRep2.jpg

image.thumb.png.6d677c4b9f6e473ba48fb2ee577a9d4f.png

These where the only two pic I can find by as you can see, it was her very identifiable feature. Cheers!

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Cool 2

[HINON]
Supertester
18,912 posts
12,446 battles

No contest.

Gz3cETK.jpg

dXaBCmw.jpg

Wouldn't really fill a niche though, is a guided missile frigate primarily for AA and ASW purposes.

• Cool 1

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,314 posts

JMSDF Hayabusa-class
Hayabusa_and_Umitaka.jpg

They're bloody quick, hard to hit, can turn on a dime, 76mm rapid-fire cannon, a few SSMs.
Nothing ridiculously overpowered

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,207 battles

I'm going to be boring and go with an Oliver Hazard Perry class frigate.

fWWVwWO.png

Not the prettiest ship, but I kind of like the "form follows function" look of the OHP. I also like the general design intention of the ships - to be cheap, but good enough to do the job. They weren't intended for long use, but that's not a problem since they were cheap, and not intended to be super cutting edge or anything - they would need to be replaced more often that something that's maybe a bit better, but they're supposed to be cheap enough to be replaceable.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,319 posts
11,876 battles

This with a couple of torpedo launchers would be cool. No one would expect me to come from over the Island.

[TNG-D]
Members
269 posts
8,227 battles

USS Zumwalt  "Stealth Destroyer"   God bless the USA   :Smile_honoring:

OCPfm1h.jpg

41l180U.jpg

And the USS Independence.

Edited by 2575dave
  • Cool 2

[TNG-D]
Members
269 posts
8,227 battles
32 minutes ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

Very interesting picks! Maybe for next April fools? :cap_like:

Lol I completely understand why you would think that.. Here maybe these will help:

USS Zumwalt was commissioned October 15, 2016. This pic was taken during her Commissioning celebration. 

2cERMqk.jpg

I9tP6lK.jpg

She's a big girl..:Smile_popcorn:

Oh and maybe some of the links in the search below may help.. google is your friend:

https://www.google.com/search?q=USS+zumwalt&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjY84GUyavaAhWq6YMKHeApDk0Q_AUICSgA&biw=2560&bih=1347&dpr=1

Edited by 2575dave

1,266 posts
13 battles
47 minutes ago, 2575dave said:

OCPfm1h.jpg

41l180U.jpg

With the USS Independence.

Very nice! I absolutely love how she was designed. She's a beauty.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,207 battles

It sucks that the DDG-1000s won't actually get to use their 155mm main guns. When the program got scaled down to just 3, it put the ammo cost at a million bucks per shot. Those 155s were really only intended until the rail gun could be put on for testing/deployment but recently it's kind of looked like the DoD was going to give up on the rail gun altogether...

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
17 hours ago, Jazzyblaster said:

Very nice! I absolutely love how she was designed. She's a beauty.

Well as a older navy man I think she is one of the most ugly ship I have ever seen, BUT that is my opinion. 

As far as other "modern" I mean post WW2; I would love to see WG to come out with a USS El Paso LKA_117.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_El_Paso_(LKA-117)

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,751 battles
18 hours ago, 2575dave said:

OCPfm1h.jpg

41l180U.jpg

With the USS Independence.

Lol yeah exactly what my pick was going to be. Lol finally a DD that will not be bothered by the Radar ships in the game. :Smile_teethhappy:

[SYN]
Members
14,370 posts
10,228 battles

47 knots, 3500t displacement LCS?

USS-Freedom-130222-N-DR144-174-crop.jpg

If anything, it will be an annoying flamethrower that only deals damage by starting fires

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,943 battles

Since hmcs haida is going to take forever to come wouldnt mind halifax to come that way we at least have a canadian ship. Even then tbh this would fit well in tier 10 since she wouldnt be that massively overpowered due to shes a frigrate and not a DDG...

IMG_3346.JPG

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,943 battles
2 hours ago, WolfofWarship said:

Some pretty ships here. Do any modern ships have any interesting camos? 

I would doubt if any modern ships had camos that are intended. Camos well were in a sense not to hide a ship but rather make it difficult to determine heading/speed/class.

since most ships in ww1/2 used occular spotters they would still (see) the ship on radar and by eye sight. And since no one uses eye sight anymore (cough cough USN freighter rammings cough cough) camo would be utterly useless... unless looking badass but i doubt militarys would spend a couple million dollars making them look badass

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,207 battles
1 hour ago, MrDeaf said:

47 knots, 3500t displacement LCS?

USS-Freedom-130222-N-DR144-174-crop.jpg

If anything, it will be an annoying flamethrower that only deals damage by starting fires

47 knots until the reduction gears are totally stripped and you have to get a tow SW Pacific to the west coast.

23 hours ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

What would she be? The Onion knight pick... 

rJRgzce.jpg

I meant to say this when I first saw the topic, but I forgot. 

USS Long Beach is a cool choice. That's a really interesting ship in general and I wish I knew more about it.

3 hours ago, WolfofWarship said:

Some pretty ships here. Do any modern ships have any interesting camos? 

The gray used by the USN is a camo paint. It's basically the color that is hardest to see against sea or skies in all weather and light conditions.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
4 hours ago, Captain_Dorja said:

USS Long Beach is a cool choice. That's a really interesting ship in general and I wish I knew more about it.

Well she is still afloat sort of. Her hull was at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Bremerton, Wash. I think it is still there waiting to be declared ready for her final scrapping. Since she was a nuclear-powered, she has to wait until they say it safe to finish cutting her up.

I saw her once while I was in, she was still active back them, along with the Big E. 

• Cool 1

[BBICT]
Members
3,352 posts
3,540 battles

Always like the Long Beach. The Grey Lady had a long run, but its sad to her end up scrap. :Smile_sad: I know they talked about a XL Aegis outfit for her, but with her age, they never did it. 

[REVY]
Members
6,014 posts
5,102 battles

There's only one real answer here:

AW342Fo.jpg

Oh my!  So many shells to choose from!  I can't wait to unleash the Firecracker shells against a DD in smoke!  3,600 frag grenades falling from the sky per salvo!  And that "Katie" shell will show that Yamato whose truly boss.

KQLa5aU.jpg

Now put this ship, with the Mk 141 Quad cell Launchers with McDonnell Douglas RGM-84 Harpoon anti-ship missiles, and Phalanx CIWS mounts in an in-game Operation with the time travel plot to The Final Countdown to intercept the Pearl Harbor attack and we're golden.

8f42b2abc001eb8112fd1fd393085e14.jpg

Edited by Sventex

[TNG-D]
Members
269 posts
8,227 battles
13 hours ago, WolfofWarship said:

Some pretty ships here. Do any modern ships have any interesting camos

Well as far as interesting camos go.. I would have to say that China has the lead for "most interesting modern camo scheme's"

EEhJrAm.jpg

r8Pt1Ce.jpg

Hey I didn't say they have the lead for "best" camos.. just interesting camos. 

TmPf6QJ.jpg 

Do these count?

dkwJm1V.jpg

Cmon! Thats just plain embarrassing!  Seriously who picks there camo?  The Smurfs? 

Edited by 2575dave
  • Funny 1

[WORX]
Members
1,635 posts
12,682 battles
6 minutes ago, 2575dave said:

Cmon! Thats just plain embarrassing

dkwJm1V.jpg

The funny part about this pic is. Knowing how tank crews are about the star of communism, I say putting a star that is so red and visible is just begging to be hit with an anti tank round. Wow lol!