Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
warpath_33

lol (Edinburgh)

5 comments in this topic

[CK5]
Members
783 posts
6,261 battles

Average only 82 direct damage per hit yet you kill him with a fire? (I presume from the secondaries).  That is one for Ripley's Believe it or Not.  

[H-W-C]
Members
1,259 posts
3,306 battles
Just now, PrairiePlayer said:

Average only 82 direct damage per hit yet you kill him with a fire? (I presume from the secondaries).  That is one for Ripley's Believe it or Not.  

I was hiding behind an island in one of the caps on sleeping giant (you can see the island in the screenshot)

A Richelieu came around the corner and I had to stop firing when he got too close and somehow the first volley from my secondaries set him on fire.

The enemy team zeroed out before anyone did much.

Heck, here's the replay

• Cool 1

Members
842 posts

I've actually seen this a couple of times in RN CLs - due to mounting AFT, your secondaries actually have a pretty decent range. 6km in the Leander/Edin/Neptune, 5.4km in a Fiji.  And they tend to have pretty decent ROF, even if there's not a lot of them.

The most common way to do this is by sitting in smoke (and not firing to avoid being detected) while you wait for them to close so you can torp the crap out of them. Your secondaries can work them over pretty good while they close from 6km to 3km (where they should be when your torps arrive).

But I've done it to DDs, too, in close combat, which I imagine would work the same on a BB or CA that was low health. The trick, of course, in those situations is to live long enough for your secondaries to get a fire started. Which really only happens in ambushes or in confused melees. 

It's still funny, every time it happens, though.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,866 posts
4,001 battles
On 4/9/2018 at 3:38 PM, EAnybody said:

I've actually seen this a couple of times in RN CLs - due to mounting AFT, your secondaries actually have a pretty decent range.

I played around with a Fiji secondary build in the Public Test Server - I gave it BFT, AFT and Demolition Expert, plus other skills to improve short-range brawling, and took it into co-op for some suicidal LOLfun. The side benefit was that it blapped the hell out of enemy aircraft. I figure an Edinburgh, which has an extra twin 4-inch on each side, should be even better.

I also used my Leander for some firestarting missions late last year - suicide ranges, but I got the fires started and survival was not a condition of the tasks.

Sign in to follow this