You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ArgosRising

Question about Perth

25 comments in this topic

Members
242 posts
608 battles

Just a question about the Perth's AP:

I am not sure how to look at the statistics well enough to see it for myself, but does the Perth get access to the better AP shells that her sister ship the Leander does? I assume that the answer is no, but I am just curious if they had implemented it on her or not. 

Thanks in advance :cap_rambo:

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,238 posts
6,433 battles

From what I know, she does nlt. For the same reason why Belfast doesn‘t have access to them. The special AP is meant to compensate for the lack of HE. No lack of HE, no special AP.

[4HIM]
Members
1,722 posts
3,905 battles

Yep. Perth, being a Premium ship, comes fully kitted.  So what you see is what you get.  

Members
242 posts
608 battles
Just now, ZARDOZ_II said:

Yep. Perth, being a Premium ship, comes fully kitted.  So what you see is what you get.  

Well thank you for your reply, sir. But this doesn't seem to address the question I had asked, which is whether the Perth gets the improved AP Shells that the Leander gets due to the Leander not having HE.

[FML]
Members
1,637 posts
9,912 battles
1 hour ago, ArgosRising said:

I am not sure how to look at the statistics well enough to see it for myself, but does the Perth get access to the better AP shells that her sister ship the Leander does? I assume that the answer is no, but I am just curious if they had implemented it on her or not. 

I dont know for sure, but I think @SireneRacker is correct.  Plus, it feels less good when I play her. 

Members
242 posts
608 battles
2 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Plus, it feels less good when I play her. 

Makes sense. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,704 posts
10,050 battles

She does not. From the wiki:

'In the negative column, Perth’s armor piercing rounds are not the improved AP of the regular tech tree British light cruisers'

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Perth

However, I would still recommend using AP a lot in Perth, the smoke lets you survive at close range and a surprising number of cruisers will show broadside to a smoke cloud.

Members
2,280 posts
7,381 battles

"Perth gets "normal" AP, and not RN AP. 

Edited by Xlap

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,747 posts
11,364 battles

Wasn't Perth release before the RN cruiser line? An the improve AP? I maybe remembering wrong, but either way, 99% Perth's AP has the normal fuses, not the short fuse AP.

Members
242 posts
608 battles
4 minutes ago, mofton said:

She does not. From the wiki:

'In the negative column, Perth’s armor piercing rounds are not the improved AP of the regular tech tree British light cruisers'

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Perth

However, I would still recommend using AP a lot in Perth, the smoke lets you survive at close range and a surprising number of cruisers will show broadside to a smoke cloud.

Ah, with a bit of digging I guess I could have easily found that myself. A bit embarrassing, really. But I thank you for providing me with that information :Smile_honoring:

[4HIM]
Members
1,722 posts
3,905 battles

According to the Wiki the Leander gets this

Maximum AP Shell Damage3,100 
Initial AP Shell Velocity841 m./s.
AP Shell Weight50.8 kg.

The Perth gets this for AP

AP Shell Weight50.8 kg.

Looks identical to me. 

[ICOP]
Members
822 posts
3,175 battles

The Leander and Perth share the same AP however the Leander's AP has a shorter fuse (as I recall) as compensation for the lack of HE.  There other differences as well, main gun range, how smoke works. etc...

• Cool 1

Members
242 posts
608 battles
Just now, Junostorm said:

The Leander and Perth share the same AP however the Leander's AP has a shorter fuse (as I recall) as compensation for the lack of HE.  There other differences as well, main gun range, how smoke works. etc...

So the AP on the Leander would get fewer overpens compared to the Perth. I thought this meant the Perth would get better damage against higher armor, but I suppose if the fuse time is the only difference between the AP shells then that means it only matters AFTER the shell has penetrated the armor and doesn't effect the penetration itself. 

[STW-D]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
1,646 posts
5,031 battles

Keep in mind that Perth has 152mm guns which are perfect for IFHE.  Only if you have a nice broadside shot are you likely to do better with AP than IFHE, which works basically at all angles.  Just aim for the superstructure and stay off the hull plating.  It might not be super common for a lot of people to have a 10-pt captain on a T6 ship, but it's probably not that uncommon either.  

[4HIM]
Members
1,722 posts
3,905 battles
30 minutes ago, InvalidKey said:

Keep in mind that Perth has 152mm guns which are perfect for IFHE.  Only if you have a nice broadside shot are you likely to do better with AP than IFHE, which works basically at all angles.  Just aim for the superstructure and stay off the hull plating.  It might not be super common for a lot of people to have a 10-pt captain on a T6 ship, but it's probably not that uncommon either.  

Of the few YouTube reviews I've seen on the Perth, most state that it's a better ship once you equip IFHE.  I don't play the Perth a whole lot so I don't yet have 10 points on him.  But I may take IFHE before CE and see how that works.  

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
3 hours ago, ArgosRising said:

She uses standard AP, non-British. If she had Brit short fuse AP, it would make her better than Leander in every way and thus P2W.

[STW-D]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
1,646 posts
5,031 battles
25 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Of the few YouTube reviews I've seen on the Perth, most state that it's a better ship once you equip IFHE.  I don't play the Perth a whole lot so I don't yet have 10 points on him.  But I may take IFHE before CE and see how that works.  

I really recommend this approach.  CE is tempting, but you have long lasting smoke, especially if you have a smoke upgrade mounted.  Concealment usually isn't a problem, so you might as well go for damage boost as soon as you can.  Before i got IFHE i found it a bit light in the damage category.  It's better now, but i'm still working out survival.  It's a funny thing.  I can sit around in smoke in a Belfast or Mino and only rarely do people even shoot the smoke much less hit me.  A Perth seems like a shell magnet with torpedoes and steel flying at me constantly even though i'm moving.  I think it's got everything to do with range.  It's not super short, but you're probably one of the closer ships to shoot at so naturally you're the one they're going to try to shoot.  CE will be my next choice probably, but without IFHE, i'd be doing much worse.  IFHE if nothing else makes sure you can "convince" any DDs that come close enough to your smoke to spot you after firing that they should leave.

[TBW]
Members
6,354 posts
11,905 battles

The guns don't seem to hit quite as hard as Huanghe's guns and are not RN AP.

[-GPS-]
Members
2,525 posts
24,689 battles
2 hours ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

AP Shell Weight50.8 kg.

AP Shell Weight50.8 kg.

Looks identical to me. 

Perth’s Guns are identical to Belfast’s. Neither has the short fuse AP of regular RN cruisers.  However, there is nothing wrong with their AP rounds either. And as has already been said IFHE turns the HE into very effective shells.  

I still think taking IFHE before Concealment is a mistake.  Perth is very squishy and you need to be able to run and hide when that glorious smoke cloud dissipates. Also, Demo Expert gives you back the 2% fire chance that IFHE takes away.  I prefer to start with fires and add IFHE only when my captain gets to 17 points. Perth and Belfast both benefit greatly from a high skill point, dedicated captain. Toss the last 2 points into Adreneline Rush and you have a very nasty cruiser with smoke. 

The problem is that it’s very difficult to get that 17+ point captain until you have at least one 19-point captain elsewhere to earn Elite Commander XP. Belfast can serve as a trainer for RN cruisers but the build won’t be optimal for Belfast. Perth sits all by itself without any other Commonwealth ships so working up a 19-point captain doesn’t make sense for most players. 

Members
242 posts
608 battles
8 minutes ago, Landing_Skipper said:

Perth’s Guns are identical to Belfast’s. Neither has the short fuse AP of regular RN cruisers.  However, there is nothing wrong with their AP rounds either. And as has already been said IFHE turns the HE into very effective shells.  

I still think taking IFHE before Concealment is a mistake.  Perth is very squishy and you need to be able to run and hide when that glorious smoke cloud dissipates. Also, Demo Expert gives you back the 2% fire chance that IFHE takes away.  I prefer to start with fires and add IFHE only when my captain gets to 17 points. Perth and Belfast both benefit greatly from a high skill point, dedicated captain. Toss the last 2 points into Adreneline Rush and you have a very nasty cruiser with smoke. 

The problem is that it’s very difficult to get that 17+ point captain until you have at least one 19-point captain elsewhere to earn Elite Commander XP. Belfast can serve as a trainer for RN cruisers but the build won’t be optimal for Belfast. Perth sits all by itself without any other Commonwealth ships so working up a 19-point captain doesn’t make sense for most players. 

Thank you for your feedback, it's good to hear different opinions.

Members
3,654 posts
13,535 battles

No, Perth and Belfast don't have the same AP as the other RN Cruisers. The AP they do have is still pretty good so don't be shy about using it.

[WOLF6]
Members
174 posts
2,056 battles
8 hours ago, ArgosRising said:

The best place to compare two ships is wowsft.  Here is the link comparing Perth to a fully upgraded Leander: LINK

Here is the specific difference in AP shells (Perth is on the Left / Leander Right):

image.png.6365de92fd94c2df645e74748e810cd7.png

Key differences are highlighted.  Leander gets better angles, and much shorter fusing.  Pen Threshold is also different, but this is a result of the short fuse.

• Cool 1

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,043 posts
11,539 battles

I would not recommend taking IFHE over CE.  Perth is nasty in close, and concealment helps you get there.  Additionally, she's fragile.  CE will help keep you alive because your smoke is not always available.

• Cool 1

Members
242 posts
608 battles
15 hours ago, ZoomieG said:

The best place to compare two ships is wowsft.  Here is the link comparing Perth to a fully upgraded Leander: LINK

Here is the specific difference in AP shells (Perth is on the Left / Leander Right):

image.png.6365de92fd94c2df645e74748e810cd7.png

Key differences are highlighted.  Leander gets better angles, and much shorter fusing.  Pen Threshold is also different, but this is a result of the short fuse.

Oh wow, thank you! Seeing the stats here is super helpful. Much obliged, sir. 

[SUCIT]
Members
785 posts
3,509 battles
On 4/8/2018 at 9:39 AM, ZARDOZ_II said:

AP Shell Weight50.8 kg.

AP Shell Weight50.8 kg.

Looks identical to me. 

The differences in the shells are in fuse time and autobounce angles.  Other than that I believe they are identical.