Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Low-mid tier Japanese cruiser captain advice

17 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
5,743 posts
3,912 battles

I just picked up the 6-point cat commander so I figured I needed a Japanese ship to put him in and started climbing the cruiser line last night. I am currently in the Tenryu, in which I have played the magnificent total of one co-op game. :Smile_teethhappy:

I currently  have a three-point place-holder commander in her, left over from the Wakatake, because I was trying to make up my mind as to whether I like this line... but I do, so kitty goes in. I figure that Priority Target, Last Stand and Demolition Expert make sense up to the Furutaka, which is where I intend to stop (I have a thing for the older ships; not as interested in the more modern ones).

Unless people think I should spec into torpedoes... The Tenryu seems a lot like an oversized destroyer, and torpedo armament expertise would be a good skill for her, but I'm not sure how well it would carry further up the line (again, I intend to go no higher than Tier V).

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,098 posts
8,751 battles

If you are going to use it on Kuma or Furutaka I would say Preventative Maintenance, Last Stand, Demolition Expert, and then after you gain 4 more points the Concealment Expert. Following skills need to be Expert Marksman and Advanced Fire Training.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,098 posts
8,751 battles
10 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

How do you get the cat commander?

Go to World of Warships website and in the news you will see the cat mission news, and Orange button that says “ Accelt Mission”. This will unlock mission in game for you which are pretty easy to do and then you get the Cat Commander.

• Cool 2

[HYDRO]
Members
1,309 posts
3,662 battles

Depends really on how satisfied you are with the turret traverse. If not, then Expert Marksman is the way to go. An alternate choice would also be Adrenaline Rush to try and get the most out of the reload time. 

Last, I know it will be some time till the mission rotates (or you can find people to division with) but a 4 star win in Defense of Naval Station Newport Scenario can give you a 10 point captain for IJN.

Edited by warheart1992

[VW]
Members
1,828 posts
12,269 battles
7 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Go to World of Warships website and in the news you will see the cat mission news, and Orange button that says “ Accelt Mission”. This will unlock mission in game for you which are pretty easy to do and then you get the Cat Commander.

Thanks, did it!

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,743 posts
3,912 battles
8 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

If you are going to use it on Kuma or Furutaka I would say Preventative Maintenance, Last Stand, Demolition Expert, and then after you gain 4 more points the Concealment Expert. Following skills need to be Expert Marksman and Advanced Fire Training.

Of what use is Advanced Firing Training? All of the Japanese cruisers have main armaments just too large to make use of it (and BFT), and the Kuma at least has no secondary armament to speak of. Surely IFHE would be a better use of four points, or am I missing something?

Once more, I am not intending to progress in this line beyond the Furutaka B hull.

[VW]
Members
1,828 posts
12,269 battles

the taco has secondaries, and the two skills boost your aa, which you will definitely see plenty of at tier 4-5. I find ifhe to be only of use in 155 mm gun ships like myjoko and mog if you choose to play 155. If you are only playing kuma i dont see he point because the reload is so fast you can easily switch to ap when you see broadside. I always go turret rotation bexause i don’t expect to take hits to the engine in a ca. I only ever use last stand in dds. I would take concealment before aa range.

also i dont see why you are stopping at tier 5. The kuma is vastly superior to the taco and has better matchmaking. The yayoba is sortof ok, but the myoko is beastly. I kind of agree that from there up the cas get boring.

Edited by monpetitloup

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,582 posts
14,010 battles
On 4/8/2018 at 3:35 AM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I just picked up the 6-point cat commander so I figured I needed a Japanese ship to put him in and started climbing the cruiser line last night. I am currently in the Tenryu, in which I have played the magnificent total of one co-op game. :Smile_teethhappy:

I currently  have a three-point place-holder commander in her, left over from the Wakatake, because I was trying to make up my mind as to whether I like this line... but I do, so kitty goes in. I figure that Priority Target, Last Stand and Demolition Expert make sense up to the Furutaka, which is where I intend to stop (I have a thing for the older ships; not as interested in the more modern ones).

Unless people think I should spec into torpedoes... The Tenryu seems a lot like an oversized destroyer, and torpedo armament expertise would be a good skill for her, but I'm not sure how well it would carry further up the line (again, I intend to go no higher than Tier V).

Cruisers change drastically once you leave Tier IV.  For IJN, you get Furutaka and 203mm guns.

IJN Cruisers don't really need specific speccing into Torpedoes.  Their torpedoes are weapons of opportunity.  From Tier VI on, IJN Cruiser Torps:

Get 10km range.

Get side-rear facing torpedo tube launch arcs.

What this means is IJN Cruiser Torps aren't ideal as offensive weapons, i.e. pushing to someone, turn, and drop torps, due to the torpedo launch angles.  If anything that will get you killed in an IJN CA, because you have to show full broadside to launch, and that's where you get pulverized.

IJN Cruiser Torps are at their best when they have to kite.  You're running but you can fire one side of torps, turn, and drop the other side of torps also into the faces of your pursuers.  The beauty is that IJN Cruisers are pretty stealthy.  If they need to kite, they can drop the torpedoes in stealth, if they manage their speed and range right.  Myoko at Tier VII is the first to really put this into practice, and later IJN Cruisers follow suit until Zao and her 8km F3 torpedoes.

I have never dedicated any torpedo traits on my Cruisers, not even IJN.  No TA, no TAE.  You'll be focused on using your guns much more.  It's more critical to get Demo Expert, Concealment Expert, Adrenaline Rush, Expert Marksman for your IJN Cruiser.  Torpedo Acceleration, Torpedo Armament Expertise, etc. are not necessary, IMO.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,743 posts
3,912 battles
On 08/04/2018 at 7:09 PM, monpetitloup said:

I always gonturret rotation bexause i don’t expect to take hits to the engine in a ca.

also i dont see why you are stopping at tier 5. 

1) My experiences say otherwise. I have learned the hard way never to trust to the steering except in battleships.

2) My interest in Japanese cruiser design and performance stops there.

10 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

IJN Cruisers don't really need specific speccing into Torpedoes.  Their torpedoes are weapons of opportunity. ...

(Remainder of quote deleted to save space.)

Point taken, but given the presence of torps on these ships and my unfamiliarity with their characteristics, the question had to be asked.  Will go for guns.

[CVA16]
Members
2,172 posts
9,616 battles
17 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I have never dedicated any torpedo traits on my Cruisers, not even IJN.  No TA, no TAE.  You'll be focused on using your guns much more.  It's more critical to get Demo Expert, Concealment Expert, Adrenaline Rush, Expert Marksman for your IJN Cruiser.  Torpedo Acceleration, Torpedo Armament Expertise, etc. are not necessary, IMO.

True. Trying to use your torps as a primary means of attack will generally get you killed. Can be game changers in certain situations as frustrated US cruisers captains will attest, but your guns will always be your primary and reliable means of doing damage. Easy to go through battles and never launch any torps.

1,542 posts
26 battles

Some great advice here guys :Smile_great:  Love the cat Captain, how are you guys finding using her? 

[ARGSY]
Members
5,743 posts
3,912 battles
3 hours ago, WolfofWarship said:

Some great advice here guys :Smile_great:  Love the cat Captain, how are you guys finding using her? 

He seems to be cursing my Tenryu; I feel like wins (or survivable wins, more to the point) are impossible to get since I put him in. Then again, I tend to be a fool who rushes in where angels fear to tread; and as much as I try not to do this, I can't resist running up to flank speed and charging in to try and support my destroyers. Need to go back and watch more YT vids by people who do it right and get stupidly high scores and heaps of kills.

[CVA16]
Members
2,172 posts
9,616 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Then again, I tend to be a fool who rushes in where angels fear to tread; and as much as I try not to do this, I can't resist running up to flank speed and charging in to try and support my destroyers.

Charging into close range melees in any ship with weak armor AND a citadel is not a recipe for a long life. You are sort of a big DD, but not really. You are a bigger target and do have a citadel. At some angles you can only bring one gun to bear. Better to try and support the DDs from a distance where you can dodge shells but still hit your target. Showing your side to launch torps can get you killed so choose carefully when you  try to use torps. This is something to remember as you progress up the line. Kuma has great torp angles but after Furutaka, your torp angles get very restricted.

[KNTAI]
Members
173 posts
4,737 battles
On 4/12/2018 at 8:27 AM, WolfofWarship said:

I'm pretty sure Isoroku is a guy, unless you're talking about the ship he captains. Then silly me. :cap_haloween:

On a more serious note, here are your 4 essential skills you should use for all your IJN CAs as soon as you hit 10 points for your commander:

-Priority Target
-Expert Marksman
-Demolition Expert
-Concealment Expert

Other skills you should invest in are Adrenaline Rush, because some of the higher-tier CAs do have a lengthy reload time compared to the other nations' counterparts. Superintendent is also another skill you should dump points in, but only for CAs with Repair Party (Atago, Ibuki, Zao -  but since you don't plan on going up the tech tree, then you can ignore this part). The last 4 points can be invested in whatever you see fit - for my clan battles Zao, I use Radio Location to help me hunt DDs more effectively. I can't really say if it's all that useful for randoms however.

As many other users here have mentioned, IJN torps are not and will not be your primary offensive weapons because you are risking deletion if your timing is not right. Only use them in three circumstances:

-Shoot them while you're kiting away.
-You can get a jump on your intended from behind an island and they are unaware that you are there.
-They're smoke camping.

The only exception to this rule is Atago as she can use them offensively (since two of her sets are forward-firing) but I never do so unless I'm out of options and I have to charge at an opposing ship. IJN CAs have to be played like a Destroyer as you will not last in a gun brawl.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this