Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Battlecruiser_NewZealand

Lower Tirpitz to honor dseehafer

70 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
3,360 posts
3,915 battles

For those of you unaware (and I know I was until a few hours ago - the OT forum sometimes flies under the radar), dseehafer - noted forum poster and historian - died the day before last.

I am not posting this thread to steal the thunder from his memorial in offtopic, but rather to urge Wargaming to mark dsee's life in the only proper way imaginable (in the context of this game). You see, dsee loved Tirpitz, and he campaigned tirelessly to rectify the model's flaws. And chief amongst these was his conviction that Tirpitz was seated too high in the water - it was his crusade basically since the moment the ship released. And, until now, he never gained much traction.

I was not dseehafer's close friend; we annoyed each other, and I scoffed at his pet project openly (something I now feel terrible about, to be honest) - I have no iron in this fire, save perhaps a mea culpa. But the man has passed, and this was plainly one of his enduring wishes. Please, Wargaming, lower the boat in his memory.

Edited by Battlecruiser_NewZealand
  • Cool 35
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,287 posts
6,416 battles

I too would like to see this.  While I never interacted with him, his presence certainly made the forum feel more alive.  After all it was the history he so loved that brought us to this game in the first place.

This is the type of move that really can make a community feel appreciated.  The man certainly did his research and presented it well.  It would be great if WG could give a nod to that.

  • Cool 5
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,220
[RKLES]
Members
7,089 posts
8,720 battles

Always sad to lose players like this. :Smile_sad:

But at least it sounds like they got to do what they loved until the very end. :Smile_honoring:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
656
[USCC2]
Members
3,412 posts

Never came across him, but always sad to lose a member of the community. :Smile_honoring:

Your suggestion may come from the heart, but I think the line WG has to at least try to walk, is one of impartiality.

 

As I say, dseehafer is not known to me, but if he is very well known and respected WG could have an option to have an event in his memory (rather than change a game mechanic) - but as stated above, what happens when we lose the next member of our community? Who warrants an event be held in their name etc? It is very difficult.

Edited by _WaveRider_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
184
[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,355 battles

Sad to hear. I recently came across his work on the forums.
 

Very interesting and informative.
 

Certainly knew his subject matter

RIP @dseehafer :Smile_honoring:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
151
[EREKT]
Members
746 posts
5,755 battles

The guy was posting a few days ago!... The abruptness of it makes me think he wasn't that old and it came out of no where. I noticed he lives in Wausau Wi, few hours from me. If it was closer I would've went to the wake and put a cool picture of the Tirpitz with him or something, sad.

Edited by HorrorRoach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supertester
88 posts
1,264 battles

Lower the boat! - and in his name, so shall Tirpitz have her red panties hidden more efficiently - just as he desired.

o7 In his honour, we should work on flooding the MM with Tirpitz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
109
[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
283 posts
9,572 battles

He wrote some pretty informative articles. I will sail my Bismark today in his memory as I don't own a Tirpitz. He will be missed. 

Also +1 on your campaign to lower the ship's model. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
306
[BNKR]
Members
644 posts
659 battles
40 minutes ago, Gnevsie said:

Lower the boat! - and in his name, so shall Tirpitz have her red panties hidden more efficiently - just as he desired.

o7 In his honour, we should work on flooding the MM with Tirpitz.

I'll be sailing Tirpitz tonight in his honor.

 

Fair seas and following winds dseehafer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
267
[POP]
Members
833 posts
9,449 battles

You could tell dseehafer loved ships, and none more than his beloved Tirpitz.

With great dedication and a wealth of knowledge (ships!), he led a quiet campaign to restore the Tirpitz out of love of history.

Others said it better than I could:
 

3 hours ago, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

I am not posting this thread to steal the thunder from his memorial in offtopic, but rather to urge Wargaming to mark dsee's life in the only proper way imaginable (in the context of this game)...
...Please, Wargaming, lower the boat in his memory.

Thank you sir for this campaign.

3 hours ago, Kenjister said:

I too would like to see this.  While I never interacted with him, his presence certainly made the forum feel more alive.  After all it was the history he so loved that brought us to this game in the first place.

This is the type of move that really can make a community feel appreciated.  The man certainly did his research and presented it well.  It would be great if WG could give a nod to that.

Thank you sir for these words.

RIP dseehafer

#honordseehafer

Edited by Gerbertz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
457
[WORX]
Members
1,631 posts
12,641 battles

Even though its not in the game (thank god), but it does happens more then you think, its part of military tradition, Burial At Sea. This is an option for any serviceman who served honorably on the waves of the many seas. Its a somber, tragic, part of the military. Since we cant have that salmon act military respect for the dead in game. I give my respects to the fallen With this Video. RIP Dseehafer. :Smile_honoring:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
456
[LUCK]
Members
1,274 posts
18,949 battles

Perhaps a WG forum person could aggregate all his posts into a sub-forum, named as such.

How long would that take, not long probably.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
141
[VVV]
[VVV]
Members
681 posts
10,319 battles

A sad loss and given his love of German warships Wargaming should lower Tirpitz  and for that same reason  a German funeral song  Fair Winds and Following sea's 

 

Edited by yamato6945
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
717
[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,978 posts
9,855 battles
1 hour ago, Gerbertz said:

#honordseehafer

Please oh great ones of WG please do this in his honor . I at least will miss his posts very much .

" Day is done ,

gone the Sun .

From the land , from the sea , from the sky !

All is well .

Rest in peace .

God is nigh . "

:Smile_honoring:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
685 posts
5,963 battles

I didnt knew about this, his passing I mean.

I enjoyed reading his posts in the past, they were well written and informative.

Given that he was someone who did extensive research and was very detailed especially about the Tirpitz, I do think the suggestion to (finally) lower the Tirpitz is well warranted indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,581
[ERN]
[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,101 posts
4,223 battles

Am i the only one here find it disrespectful trying to lower a premium ship price down because of his death? It like trying to take advantage of your grandma till the day she die to get her money. No offense

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
159
[SVF]
Members
852 posts
1,277 battles
5 minutes ago, MajorRenegade said:

Am i the only one here find it disrespectful trying to lower a premium ship price down because of his death?

I think you're misunderstanding.  It's wanting to make Tirpitz sit lower in the water, not wanting the price dropped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
656
[USCC2]
Members
3,412 posts
13 minutes ago, MajorRenegade said:

Am i the only one here find it disrespectful trying to lower a premium ship price down because of his death? It like trying to take advantage of your grandma till the day she die to get her money. No offense

Not so much disrespectful, as I believe that the thought was from the heart and meant as a sign of respect.

However, as I stated in my earlier post, I think WG need to try to be neutral - for instance if someone else who did much for the forum passed away and they wanted a particular ship changed - where does it stop?

 

I did suggest an event if WG felt inclined to do something, as at least it doesn't make a change to the game mechanics - just offers an event. (But then the question might arise - who is good enough to deserve an event and who is not? A difficult situation). :Smile_honoring: 

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
300
[NGA-A]
[NGA-A]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,264 posts
3,347 battles
29 minutes ago, MajorRenegade said:

Am i the only one here find it disrespectful trying to lower a premium ship price down because of his death? It like trying to take advantage of your grandma till the day she die to get her money. No offense

Lower in the water. Please take the time to read the first posts before speaking.

 

Rest in Peace Sir.

 

 

o7 dseehafer.... o7 always.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,581
[ERN]
[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,101 posts
4,223 battles
55 minutes ago, landcollector said:

I think you're misunderstanding.  It's wanting to make Tirpitz sit lower in the water, not wanting the price dropped.

 

31 minutes ago, JollyRoger6969 said:

Lower in the water. Please take the time to read the first posts before speaking.

 

Rest in Peace Sir.

 

 

o7 dseehafer.... o7 always.

Oops my mistake,  i just quickly reply because i was at work lol.  I will read next time and not by the thread title

  • Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
367
[XBRTC]
Members
1,197 posts
7,135 battles
1 hour ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Not so much disrespectful, as I believe that the thought was from the heart and meant as a sign of respect.

However, as I stated in my earlier post, I think WG need to try to be neutral - for instance if someone else who did much for the forum passed away and they wanted a particular ship changed - where does it stop?

 

I did suggest an event if WG felt inclined to do something, as at least it doesn't make a change to the game mechanics - just offers an event. (But then the question might arise - who is good enough to deserve an event and who is not? A difficult situation). :Smile_honoring: 

 

It's not a matter of changing a particular ship... it's a matter of fixing a mistake with the ship. There are plenty of photos of the actual ship documenting the historical configuration, and the one in game is quite different. It is incorrect, as it sits right now, and should be adjusted.

Tbh, it's something simple. They could do it cosmetically, even, just by changing a couple layers in photoshop for the texture, if they didn't want to change the mechanics of the game. If they change the actual model, it's a matter of adjusting a couple of numbers, because the geometry of the model doesn't need to change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×