Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Suggestions on my training regime

7 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,796 battles

Have the Clemson (IV) through the Benson (VIII) (with the Sims thrown in because it was my birthday).  Had some trouble with the Nick, so I didn't spend a lot of time with her on the way up.  It has ended up biting me in the butt.  I'm not as good in the Farragut as I should be, and when I get up-tiered in the Sims and Mahan, I'm making bad decisions.

Soooo....I made the decision to relearn my dd play.  I started back at the Clemson, rewatched the good videos, played in Co-Op until I was a beast again, played a few games at Random until I was happy with my play, and moved on to the Nick.  Same thing, realized that I had played her badly in the past, and corrected her play.  I don't rack up big numbers in her, but I contribute to the team win.

Now I'm at the Farragut.  How long do you guys think that I should stay with her in order to learn the lessons that I need to in order to play the Sims/Mahan and Benson the way they should be played? Better CV commanders, radar ships, etc. means that my instincts need to be automatic.  They aren't quite there yet to play the Tier VII-VIII ships well.

Overall, what do you think of my training tactics?

Members
1,030 posts
95 battles
23 minutes ago, AMajor said:

Now I'm at the Farragut.  How long do you guys think that I should stay with her in order to learn the lessons that I need to in order to play the Sims/Mahan and Benson the way they should be played?

Main things with Farragut and the following US DDs is to learn gun handling to be able to hit targets and positioning. Unlike IJN or Soviet DDs, with USN DDs positioning is crucial. Learning maps is also important to know where you can use island cover to perform torpedo attacks. For the later boats try to roughly memorize radar ranges of various ships you might be facing to know where it's safe to go and where it isn't. And obviously, optimise your commander build and modules.

Stay with her until you can get consistently decent/good games. Unlike IJN DDs, for example, where it's either feast of famine, USN are more consistent, because much of the damage comes from the guns.

[-BSS-]
Members
384 posts
5,891 battles

I would say an indicator of success is being able to consistently bully caps and lasting deep into the game with a lot of main gun damage.

learning how to position to not get nailed by torp walls in caps and how to use your smoke and cover to allow for main gun harassing are key too.

A mid to late game fun activity can be to get on the opposite side of enemy B.B. who are engaging your fleet and start harassing them, they usually panic and they can’t really hit you with their slow guns and turning, can really be a huge help for the team 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,861 posts
13,321 battles

Learning the ins and outs of the ship is one thing, as you go up in tier it becomes more about learning the capabilities of your opposition.

You need to know every ship that you come up against particularly those that can detect you

When you look at the team list at the start of the battle you should know at a glance :

• Which ships have radar, range and duration
  • Which have hydro, range and duration
  • Which ships have better concealment

Then make your decisions based on the above keeping an eye on the mini map so you know where those ships are. 

Edited by Camo68

1,542 posts
26 battles

Happy Birthday @AMajor, lots of birthdays on the forums this month! It's great that you're looking over your play style. No matter how good a player is they always have something to learn. I'm glad to hear you're having more fun with the ships this time around! Play Farragut until you feel you're ready to move up- if you find that you have gotten a really good grasp on her play style then you're ready to take on a bigger challenge. 

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,796 battles
On 4/7/2018 at 9:21 PM, Camo68 said:

You need to know every ship that you come up against particularly those that can detect you

Do you know of anyone who's compiled a list of the radar ships and hydro ships that I could copy from?  Since I haven't played cruiser beyond Tier V, I'm often up against red cruisers that I have very little knowledge of.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,861 posts
13,321 battles
4 hours ago, AMajor said:

Do you know of anyone who's compiled a list of the radar ships and hydro ships that I could copy from?  Since I haven't played cruiser beyond Tier V, I'm often up against red cruisers that I have very little knowledge of.

I have seen some posted before but not for a while.

Maybe start a new post and see if someone can help out

Sign in to follow this