You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CarbonButtprint

Ships that are bad, but you play anyway because they're fun?

75 comments in this topic

Members
1,131 posts
3,141 battles

For me it would have to be the atlanta. I know it can be incredible in certain situations (like going into the east capture point on the Hotspot map) but the outcome of the battle is determined by matchmaking and where you spawn. For every good battle I have in it where I wreck all the destroyers, I have 3 games where I get one shotted trying to get to cover. I play it every now and then because it can be fun, but it absolutely wrecks my stats most of the time. What ships do you play just for fun, even though they aren't that good?

[HINON]
Supertester
18,943 posts
12,460 battles

Katori.

Members
4,452 posts
6,164 battles
11 minutes ago, CarbonButtprint said:

For me it would have to be the atlanta. I know it can be incredible in certain situations (like going into the east capture point on the Hotspot map) but the outcome of the battle is determined by matchmaking and where you spawn. For every good battle I have in it where I wreck all the destroyers, I have 3 games where I get one shotted trying to get to cover. I play it every now and then because it can be fun, but it absolutely wrecks my stats most of the time. What ships do you play just for fun, even though they aren't that good?

Murmansk.  Odd because it actually is a pretty dang good ship with good guns and lots of them but it's tier 5 so I face tier 6-7 ships all the time.  Get deleted too much.  Crazy tier 5.  Notorious messed up tier. It's FUN however, especially when I kill some tier 7 taters.  Hey, wait....I am pretty taterish myself actually. Too much of the time anyway.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
4,530 posts
11,433 battles

Phoenix.  Not a "bad" boat per se but IMO one of the most grievously underestimated boats in the entire game.  The thing is fabulous in her tier spread when played to her strengths, i.e. long range gunnery and kiting.

Podvoisky.  Hated by so many.  They just don't know.  The Pod is the Tier-V Khabarovsk.  Tier-for-tier it's one of the best performing boats in my port, along with the Phoenix.

Pensacola.  I've always had great matches in her.  Great maneuverability, fast turrets, useful firing arcs, and AP that hits like a truck.

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,782 posts
14,856 battles

For me, it's Bismark, a ship I cannot get the hang of. Don't play BBs all that much, have none higher than tier 6, won Biz in a contest, and have done nothing but make my team mates cringe and suicide due to my sub-standard play ever since. Worst part is that I know Bismark is NOT a bad ship; so really it's all on me! LOL!!

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
477 posts
3,545 battles

So should this thread be renamed "Ships that you are bad in, but you play anyway..."

It's Not You 2.png

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Members
2,210 posts
4,051 battles

All cruisers. It' just fun to see BBs run from a brawl with one. Oh IJN BBs for the same reason. 

[-AA-]
Members
1,728 posts
6,657 battles

I only play gut bote, but if the title would be ships I am bad at, but I play anyway, it would be the Hindenburg.

I like to brawl with her and torp BBs. I usually die and lose the battle...

[H-W-C]
Members
1,259 posts
3,306 battles

I mean, I just rebought Mutsuki for the fiftieth time... 

[ARGSY]
Members
5,794 posts
3,966 battles

Emerald, but I think I'm going to have to dump her for the second time. I need a port slot for a Japanese ship because I just won the cat commander. I'm currently up to Tier III in destroyers, and I'm torn between following that and switching to cruisers. 

It's not like I'm short of other British cruisers to play (Leander, Fiji, Edinburgh), and since I've got Emerald fully researched it won't be hard to buy her back again after the cruiser split has occurred and I know whether I want to keep the New Cleveland or scrap her. Normally I'd ditch the Omaha, but I need to keep her for now in case grinding to the Dallas has to become a thing.

Members
761 posts
4,005 battles

I'm probably just too inexperienced with it and don't have a high level commander to use the 100mm gun set, but Harakaze seems to be pretty difficult to use at Tier VIII.

I like playing it anyway. I think it's made me a better player with other ship types as well, simply because of how much more attention you have to pay to the minimap and vision control in it.

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,284 battles

Huanghe, Indianapolis, Marblehead, Campbeltown, Smith.  I'll think of more later.

[DRACS]
Members
3,350 posts

Prinz Eugen. For some reason, her and I mesh well. Thankfully, she will soon stop being a 'bad' ship.

[KP]
Members
1,997 posts
18,455 battles
40 minutes ago, NATOMarksman said:

I'm probably just too inexperienced with it and don't have a high level commander to use the 100mm gun set, but Harakaze seems to be pretty difficult to use at Tier VIII.

I like playing it anyway. I think it's made me a better player with other ship types as well, simply because of how much more attention you have to pay to the minimap and vision control in it.

You need about another 1,500 battles worth of captain XP to get the skills you need to be competitive in it. It's a very captain skill dependent ship.

[INTEL]
Members
747 posts
7,892 battles

Yorck, although I havent played cruisers much recently and Shinonome.

[LWA]
Members
612 posts
8,751 battles
32 minutes ago, Patosentado said:

Duca D'Aosta fits here can be fun le desperating the same day

Same here.  It does "chip" damage, but DDs will run from her.  And, it moves like an Italian sports car.

• Cool 1

Members
1,787 posts
17,386 battles
1 hour ago, CarbonButtprint said:

For me it would have to be the atlanta

You pretty much nailed it w/the Atlanta...used to be the most OP thing around but they have all these new commander skills that make starting fires a thing of the past. It still get the 150-300 hits/battle but the damage is about 25-40k w/(if you are very lucky) 4-5 fires...used to be 10-11 fires for just 150 hits.

I do need to respect my commander for IFHEs...I use the CA commander on it but I usually stick to AP on US CAs so IFHE is wasted.

The ideal combo was the DD commander before stealth firing was removed & AFT became a detriment to DDs...& there is no other skill that the Atlanta needs more that AFT (of course IFHEs...although not wasted on US DDs...would be a serious drain on other more valuable skills).

As for tree ships the St. L. used to be a bear but it's much easier to run now that I've given it both the 20 & 40% rudder shift...still gets tanked easy at close range by most but it's an HE spamming monster w/all that maneuverability.

Just took 104k off a Yammy (72k just in fires...Whitherer on just the 1 ship) & barely got hit after 1st volley (explained later)...& it had another BB & a US cruiser (that ended up taking me out later) as backup...woulda finished it off w/a couple more volleys but a cyclone moved in & trying to put the nail in a Yammy's coffin from short range in a St. L. of course just ends up putting the nail in your own. He did get a tanky little shot in on me at the beginning because I came around an island & there he was out of the blue (while I was escaping his 2 buddies I was messing w/ originally) so that started pretty close but fortunately it scoots away pretty quick once it gets going.

Members
2,059 posts
5,097 battles

New Orleans. Play it right and you farm citadels while using the cloaking device and strafing thrusters to avoid retribution. And so many people just ignore you because of its reputation.

Members
1,690 posts
7,231 battles

The “worst” ship that I still play is Giulio Cesare...  So yeah, everything else gets even better, as far as actually playing it.