You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MrKillmister

Earlyish forum prediction for the new week: There's a ship storm headed for Columbia... I mean, Cleveland

315 comments in this topic

Members
3,303 posts
8,048 battles

I think I've seen enough already.

I'm feeling verklempt.  Please discuss among yourselves.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[NGA-B]
Members
1,226 posts
7,658 battles

Uh context please? Did you run into her in a game and she dominated like the game was back in beta?

Members
3,303 posts
8,048 battles
9 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Uh context please? Did you run into her in a game and she dominated like the game was back in beta?

I've seen the specs and witnessed the performance in Twitch streams (Flamu, Flambass, etc.) and video (Notser) over the last three days. 

The combined package of range, shell velocity, ROF and concealment makes it something akin to a T8 "Pleb-lanta"

Other descriptors used: "it's ship", "garbage", "maybe if you play it in a DD division...", "Columbia is so boring" 

Edited by lemekillmister
  • Bad 1

[NGA-B]
Members
1,226 posts
7,658 battles
Just now, lemekillmister said:

I've seen the specs and witnessed the performance in Steams for the last three days. 

Eh, the USN could use a couple OP ships now that Midway is getting shanked. Seriously, the tech tree from tier VI (possibly even tier V) to tier IX is dominated by the Japanese line and they choose to nerf the Midway?

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[LOS]
Members
556 posts
7,590 battles
17 minutes ago, lemekillmister said:

I think I've seen enough already.

I'm feeling verklempt.  Please discuss among yourselves.

DON'T POST DRUNK!

• Funny 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

Watched Notser play T8 Cleveland... man... it's like a gift to the T9/T10 players... "Here, haf a Cleveland to boost your points... why thanks, don't mind if I do." 

14.x km MB gun range? Same as her old tier? What's wrong with them? About any t9/10 cruiser will have quite the comfort zone when fighting her... so sad... 

Le sigh... I'm remember THE CLEVELAND, Bringer of Fire, from the beta days... man, I hated encountering them... but now? Meh. Maybe, just maybe they'll change their minds? 

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles

I would like to see a second US BB line with Nevada, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and S. Dakota. A couple of premium USN BBs such as Oklahoma and West Virginia at T5 and T7, respectively

• Cool 1

Members
3,303 posts
8,048 battles
3 minutes ago, Sinton said:

DON'T POST DRUNK!

Only a strong black cup of Joe here, Cpt. CAPLOCK. 

• Funny 3

Members
3,303 posts
8,048 battles
1 minute ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Watched Notser play T8 Cleveland... man... it's like a gift to the T9/T10 players... "Here, haf a Cleveland to boost your points... why thanks, don't mind if I do." 

14.x km MB gun range? Same as her old tier? What's wrong with them? About any t9/10 cruiser will have quite the comfort zone when fighting her... so sad... 

Le sigh... I'm remember THE CLEVELAND, Bringer of Fire, from the beta days... man, I hated encountering them... but now? Meh. Maybe, just maybe they'll change their minds? 

Watching Columbia shells fired with spotter plane is extra speshul. 

[LOS]
Members
556 posts
7,590 battles

CAPLOCK intentional.  Sorry for my misplaced accusation. I stand corrected.  As you were.

Members
3,303 posts
8,048 battles
1 minute ago, Sinton said:

CAPLOCK intentional.  Sorry for my misplaced accusation. I stand corrected.  As you were.

I speak jive... I mean Yiddish.

jive-talk-o.gif

Members
3,303 posts
8,048 battles

Q: What's wrong with Columbia/T8 Cleveland?  

A: "It doesn't have any defining strength" - Flamu 11:34 am PT, 04.07.2018

Edited by lemekillmister
  • Cool 1

[LOS]
Members
556 posts
7,590 battles
1 minute ago, lemekillmister said:

I speak jive... I mean Yiddish.

jive-talk-o.gif

Mashugana!  My childhood bestest friend was Jewish.  Went to Hebrew school every Tuesday for almost 7 years.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

The new Ship line with Port slots is the reason I am doing the grind of Understated USN Cruisers. Russian Bias maybe?

Members
3,303 posts
8,048 battles
1 minute ago, Sinton said:

Mashugana!  My childhood bestest friend was Jewish.  Went to Hebrew school every Tuesday for almost 7 years.

I lived next door to and visited the second oldest Jewish temple in Los Angeles for 9 years... if that counts for anything. 

[LOS]
Members
556 posts
7,590 battles
3 minutes ago, lemekillmister said:

I lived next door to and visited the second oldest Jewish temple in Los Angeles for 9 years... if that counts for anything. 

It does! Hebrew school as a Church of England kid made me a rabid Zionist!  Been to Israel (YERUSHALAYIM SHEL ZAHAV) 3 times.  

Anyone asks my religion, I tell 'em  I'm 1/2 Jewish, 1/2 Anglican and 1/2 Druid!

Edited by Sinton

[SALVO]
Members
16,670 posts
17,308 battles
29 minutes ago, Zionas said:

I would like to see a second US BB line with Nevada, Pennsylvania, Tennessee and S. Dakota. A couple of premium USN BBs such as Oklahoma and West Virginia at T5 and T7, respectively

Ummm, kinda off-topic.

However,

I don't think that anyone would dislike a second USN BB line.  And there are enough classes that it could start all the way down at tier 3.  it'd get a little more difficult after tier 8 though.

• T3: Delaware class
  • T4: Florida class
  • T5: Nevada class
  • T6: Pennsylvania class
  • T7: Tennessee class (This one's a bit iffy because it's still a twelve 14" gun (4x3 turrets) BB, though it does have better armor than the New Mex class, and may have better secondaries and AA.)   And it's still a 21 kt, slow Standard type USN BB.
  • T8: South Dakota class (late 1930's class, not the early 1920's class)
  • T9: Perhaps the 1920's South Dakota class.  As designed, it had a 23 kt top speed.  But arguably, this could be considered its stock speed, and it could be given an upgrade to a more useful higher speed of something like 26-27 kts, I suppose.  It'd be a nasty twelve 16" gun (4x3 turrets) BB. And I'd suggest calling it the Indiana class, since South Dakota's already used, and Indiana was one of the 1920's South Dakota classes intended names, plus the other intended names are already used in game.
  • T10: ? Not a clue.  Perhaps just link to the Montana instead of a unique T10 of its own?  Of course, perhaps there's some design study somewhere for an alternate Montana design that could be used.

As for a tier 7 premium, I'd suggested using the Lexington class battlecruiser (early 1920 design), perhaps the Saratoga name.  It was armed with 8 16" guns with a top speed of 33 kts.  And this seems like a nicely unique option for a tier 7 US BB premium.  As for tier 5, the USN already has the Texas, and doesn't need another one, for a long time.  Actually, I think that a tier 6 or 8 USN premium cruiser would be a better idea.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,836 posts
3,984 battles

I never realised until I owned one that the Cleveland is outranged by the Fiji, and in her stock form is (just) outranged by the HMS Victim Emerald at full enhancement.

How the heck is she supposed to survive Tier 8 as she is? Tier 10 ships will swat her without effort.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
16,670 posts
17,308 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I never realised until I owned one that the Cleveland is outranged by the Fiji, and in her stock form is (just) outranged by the HMS Victim Emerald at full enhancement.

How the heck is she supposed to survive Tier 8 as she is? Tier 10 ships will swat her without effort.

I agree, Cthulhu, that her range is going to be ... painful.  Heaven forbid that you get the Ocean map.  (Actually, it might not be too, too bad if carriers were present.  But otherwise, you're boned on any kind of map that's at all open.)

Flamu's (or maybe it was Flambass') advice was to push up as far as you can to support DDs and find some terrain that you can work.   

[ARGSY]
Members
5,836 posts
3,984 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

I agree, Cthulhu, that her range is going to be ... painful.  Heaven forbid that you get the Ocean map.  (Actually, it might not be too, too bad if carriers were present.  But otherwise, you're boned on any kind of map that's at all open.)

Flamu's (or maybe it was Flambass') advice was to push up as far as you can to support DDs and find some terrain that you can work.   

I'm grinding her (sort of) in co-op to get hits and fires for various missions this weekend, and one thought I had when pushing out to a flank in Two Brothers is that I'd give my left gonad and half my right to have a pan-Asian destroyer tagging along with me for smoke and spotting. Maybe it's because I haven't found my feet in her yet, but I consider it a positive thing when I survive a co-op battle.

Contrast this with the Fiji, which is halfway between current and new Cleveland, which I am happy to take deep into caps right in the beginning of said co-op game and engage enemy ships at secondary gun range in the knowledge that I will most probably get away with it.

No doubt this is a familiarity thing - I do have over 120,000 XP under my belt in the Fiji, after all - but I had the sick feeling that trying to grind to the Pensacola just for the split benefits was going to be an exercise in martyrdom and my time was better spent doing more enjoyable and productive things. When it comes to facing Tier VI and VII ships,  I feel more productive and powerful in my Omaha.

Members
1,248 posts
737 battles

Given that her shell flight times are very comparable to the Edinburgh (at least on the AP), why not give her comparable range as well?

[LUCK]
Members
1,276 posts
19,101 battles

If it keeps going this way with the split, WG can forget about getting any more money from me.

This is a vote with my dollars not a stamp my feet, I want my way rant. I have an interest in and enjoy playing USN ships, cruiser primarily, and if they are going to provide a sub-standard, peek-a-boo cruiser line I no longer have any incentive to continue with this game. I have to play several historically-done-squat/mythically-based cruiser lines to get the gameplay USN should possess to some degree. It is total [edited].

There is not much else to say about it at this time.

You can sell your account on eBay right? I have 150 ships and every premium except maybe 5 (including Nikolai, Kamikaze, Belfast, Kutuzov), about 5k gold, 150k silver, 400 FXP, 850k commander: wonder what that will go for?

Oh yeah with 6 months more of premium time.

Edited by Wye_So_Serious
  • Cool 4
  • Funny 1

[ARRGG]
Members
4,680 posts
7,503 battles
50 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

The new Ship line with Port slots is the reason I am doing the grind of Understated USN Cruisers. Russian Bias maybe?

Heh Clutch , went down the US line to Pesocola and disliked that ship so much And the line I switched to the Japanese line which I found more fun .. yea I think Russian bias, the Cleveland which I like but it’s guns are so loopy and different that it’s hard to learn after the normal flatter trajectory guns on most Cruisers to get hits at range

se shall see

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

Wait till the new USN cruisers meet other top tier cruisers in battle... Moskva, Donskoi, Minotaur, Neptune, Zao wow... and the dds too... I think if they go into the game as they appear in the testing, they will have to revisit them after gathering some data. 

Notser, like two minutes or less into the video, you can tell by his voice...