You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JediMasterDraco

French DD Line

20 comments in this topic

[NGA-B]
Members
1,191 posts
7,584 battles

Just curious what everyone thinks about the viability of this line and what their trait would be. Based on the Wikipedia entries and the Aigle, I'm personally envisioning them as balanced designs like the American and German lines, but with their guns having a slightly slower RoF, but with individual shells being of better quality (high damage and fire chance). Their torps would likely lack the range to easily stealth-torp (perhaps even requiring CE), but they would be fast and powerful. I'll fully admit that I'd support this line just to see te awesomeness that is Mogador.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,423 battles

Their flavor will probably be better-than-others speed boost.

[NGA-B]
Members
1,191 posts
7,584 battles
6 minutes ago, Lert said:

I meant more in terms of characteristics than gimmicks. Like the RU DDs having excellent guns. Or the US having great AA.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,423 battles
1 minute ago, JediMasterDraco said:

I meant more in terms of characteristics than gimmicks. Like the RU DDs having excellent guns. Or the US having great AA.

If Aigle is an indication, powerful and hard hitting weapons that are a bit tricky to use because of angles, traverse and ROF, but on a fast and large hull.

• Cool 1

Members
3,293 posts
7,966 battles

Prediction: some/one will go 48 knots with speed boost. 

[NGA-B]
Members
1,191 posts
7,584 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

If Aigle is an indication, powerful and hard hitting weapons that are a bit tricky to use because of angles, traverse and ROF, but on a fast and large hull.

Well if Aigle is any indication, then I'm definitely going to enjoy them. LWM may have said Aigle was a Mehbot, but she feels great to me.

[NUWES]
Members
1,630 posts
5,475 battles
2 hours ago, Zionas said:

Mogador will likely be the Tier 10. It was basically a light cruiser.

I think we'll see them eventually, but I suspect not at T10. The Mogadors were huge DDs by pre-war standards, but they would be a very old design for a T10. I think the guns didn't even have fully enclosed turrets, the torp armament is split on the sides like a CL and the AA is non-existant. Khabarovsk plays the same game and is a far more modern and capable design. By T10 DD standards Mogador isn't even that enormous. I suspect the Mogadors will be like Agile but more like T8 where their old design isn't as big a problem. A T10 modernized version of the Mogadors could be doable though. 

Edited by Tzarevitch

Beta Testers
340 posts
2,096 battles

Tier 10 would most likely be the T-47 class imo. 3x2 5" /54s and 4x3 550mm torpedos would be pretty fun "all-rounder" type destroyer. It would also have pretty decent AA for a destroyer with 3x2 57mm bofors. Although I guess this design would be very similar to the already existing Z-52 unless they give it some kind or gimmick or something.

The Mogador could also work at Tier 10 with its 4x2 138mm /50 guns. It would probably need some buffs to it though.

And then the question is what would they put at Tier 9. I honestly don't feel the Le Fantasque could work at Tier 9, it's got hand-cranked slow rotating and hand-loaded slow RoF open mounts, and pretty much no AA. And 40 knots is honestly nothing special (please don't quote 45 knots those are only trial speeds the ship only made 40 normally, and only made 37 knots top after refits).

Another problem is that the 138mm guns on the French "large" destroyers are single-purpose only.

I would say put the Le Fantasque at Tier 8, Either a fake 3x2 130mm or 138mm ship or Mogador at Tier 9, and then either WG fantasy-Mogador or T-47 at Tier 10.

Edited by Phaere

[WOLFB]
Members
1,643 posts
8,013 battles

I think French DD line will be kind of marriage between Khaba speed and US DD arc, with high alpha damage. Even though French DD were quite fast, because WG bias, it will never be as fast as Khaba without speed boost and it will never have any kind of railguns or decent arc. 

But I'll just wait and see, maybe I'm wrong

Beta Testers
340 posts
2,096 battles
13 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

Even though French DD were quite fast, because WG bias, it will never be as fast as Khaba without speed boost

Well its true though. 

French DD's were not all that special in terms of speed. Every "large" destroyer before Le Fantasque and every French "normal" destroyer went 35-37 knots, Le Fantasque went 40 knots (37 after refits), Mogador did 40 knots.

Le Fantasque only achieved 45knots during trials with engines running past what they were normally designed for. Her normal speed is only 40 which is nothing all that special, and her speed after being refitted was dropped to 37 knots.

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles

I suspect the Le Fantasque-class destroyer with it's base 45kt speed will be given a boost that will allow it to travel faster then the speed of light.

giphy.gif

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,888 posts
3,260 battles

Le Fantasque fastest destroyer ever built. 45 knots maximum speed. 138mm guns, 2 forward, 3 aft, similar to Aigle. 3x3 550mm torpedo tubes.

If they introduce a French DD line, She better be a part of it, even if not tier 10.

Members
3,360 posts
3,915 battles
10 hours ago, JediMasterDraco said:

Just curious what everyone thinks about the viability of this line and what their trait would be. Based on the Wikipedia entries and the Aigle, I'm personally envisioning them as balanced designs like the American and German lines, but with their guns having a slightly slower RoF, but with individual shells being of better quality (high damage and fire chance). Their torps would likely lack the range to easily stealth-torp (perhaps even requiring CE), but they would be fast and powerful. I'll fully admit that I'd support this line just to see te awesomeness that is Mogador.

High speed.

But please, for the love of God, give us British DDs first.

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,292 posts
26 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_NewZealand said:

High speed.

But please, for the love of God, give us British DDs first.

Yeah, As much as I love France, the UK needs the next update after the US split and some Russian battleships (I don't expect many)

[WOLFB]
Members
1,643 posts
8,013 battles
3 hours ago, Phaere said:

Well its true though. 

French DD's were not all that special in terms of speed. Every "large" destroyer before Le Fantasque and every French "normal" destroyer went 35-37 knots, Le Fantasque went 40 knots (37 after refits), Mogador did 40 knots.

Le Fantasque only achieved 45knots during trials with engines running past what they were normally designed for. Her normal speed is only 40 which is nothing all that special, and her speed after being refitted was dropped to 37 knots.

Probably but so far French gimmick is speed. As a DD Khaba is the best DD in term of speed and WG will most likely never give whatever T10 a better base speed than Khaba and knowing French arc in general if you can't have a good speed and decent arc, the line might probably be really meh. French DD will most likely be big and a bit clumsy, ok torpedo and good gun power if you handle the arc but if you remove the good base speed because Khaba bias, well this ship will just be a less effective Russian DD line 

[SPTR]
Members
25,604 posts
10,796 battles

If you think Le Fantasque doesn't work at tier 9 for the 139mm armed french large dd line, bring it down to tier 8, bring Mogador(as she appears at the end of 1940 if 8 main dd guns is too much) down to tier 9, add the 'improved' Mogador to tier 10 and call it Kleber.

[5BS]
Members
4,452 posts
On 4/7/2018 at 2:32 PM, Lert said:

And ridiculous stopping distance. Anyone else notice that the Agile seems to stop in about 100 meters from full speed?

That said, I am eagerly awaiting Le Fantasque Destroyers. First ships to break 50 knots in game?

Edited by _RC1138

[NGA-B]
Members
1,191 posts
7,584 battles
7 hours ago, _RC1138 said:

And ridiculous stopping distance. Anyone else notice that the Agile seems to stop in about 100 meters from full speed?

That said, I am eagerly awaiting Le Fantasque Destroyers. First ships to break 50 knots in game?

And que the Sims players screaming in outrage as their torps are outrun.

• Funny 1