You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AOT_Jaeger2

Premium Browsing...I Need Help

51 comments in this topic

[-SYN-]
Members
34 posts
694 battles

Ahoy!

It's been a little while since I've been on the forums. Since then I've started down a few lines that I've really liked...and a few that I really didn't. Birthday rolled around and I have a couple gift cards that I probably won't use for anything else. I did the math and I can get around about 20k gold. And because of that I'm going to look into buying my first premium ship (well, I've had the Texas and Diana, but those don't really count). But boy are there a looooot of choices.

I'm pretty new in terms of battles, I'll admit. But I'd like to say I'm a decent player and probably wouldnt be the typical Tier VIII premium noob. Even so, I still have no idea what to get. Thus far I'm grinding the German cruisers (almost at the Nurnburg) , American Cruisers (got the Pensacola, dont wanna play it stock and will probably ignore it until the line split thing), Russian Cruisers (Shchors is ok) and probably the IJN BBs. Thus far my favorite ships have been the Konigsberg, Kirov, Budyonny, and Wyoming. Note that I've also played several ships on the PTS, and took a particular shine to the North Carolina and the Hipper.

What is a good first premium? I'm a bit greedy. I'm looking for a ship that is a good crew trainer, profitable, competitive, and isn't a ship that requires and extreme level of skill. My clanmates have recommended the Alabama as being the best ship. I also took a look at the Atago, Tirpitz, and Molotov.

Any Help?

Cheers,

AOT_Jaeger2 :cap_rambo:

• Cool 1

[EQRN]
Members
312 posts
8,672 battles

Periodically there are doubloon sales, try and hold out buying until a sale comes around to maximize the gold you get for your gift cards.

[-SYN-]
Members
34 posts
694 battles
2 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

Periodically there are doubloon sales, try and hold out buying until a sale comes around to maximize the gold you get for your gift cards.

How often is that, normally?

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,072 posts
7,618 battles

Based on your game play preferences, Molotov (tier 6 Soviet Cruiser) would match your game play style the best.  She has a similar armament to Kirov (she's a modified Kirov-class), but her guns fire a higher velocity and harder hitting shell. These slow-firing (12.5s reload) railguns are amazingly accurate, allowing you to stack damage at range with ease.  Like Shchors, she's stupidly fast but not very agile.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 3

[-SYN-]
Members
34 posts
694 battles
1 minute ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Based on your game play preferences, Molotov (tier 6 Soviet Cruiser) would match your game play style the best.  She has a similar armament to Kirov (she's a modified Kirov-class), but her guns fire a higher velocity and harder hitting shell. These slow-firing (12.5s reload) railguns are amazingly accurate, allowing you to stack damage at range with ease.  Like Shchors, she's stupidly fast but not very agile.

They look almost exactly like the Donskoi's guns? Which means Tier IX cruiser guns on a Tier VI?

[WG-CC]
9,072 posts
7,618 battles
Just now, AOT_Jaeger2 said:

They look almost exactly like the Donskoi's guns? Which means Tier IX cruiser guns on a Tier VI?

Yep, they are Dmitri Donskoi's guns.  So either Molotov has tier 9 guns at tier 6 or Donskoi has tier 6 guns at tier 9.

• Cool 1

[-SYN-]
Members
34 posts
694 battles

Yep, they are Dmitri Donskoi's guns.  So either Molotov has tier 9 guns at tier 6 or Donskoi has tier 6 guns at tier 9.

I'd like to give Donkey the benefit of the doubt here...

How profitable is the Molotov?

[WG-CC]
9,072 posts
7,618 battles
Just now, AOT_Jaeger2 said:

How profitable is the Molotov?

It's a tier 6 cruiser, so profitable when compared to ships within its own tier.  Lemme go play a match and I'll show you a Molotov's earnings.

[-SYN-]
Members
34 posts
694 battles

It's a tier 6 cruiser, so profitable when compared to ships within its own tier.  Lemme go play a match and I'll show you a Molotov's earnings.

Cheers! Plus the Molotov is cheaper, so I could get multiple premiums from different nations for training.

• Cool 1

[CK5]
Members
783 posts
6,261 battles

I have played 300+ matches in the Molotov and always made money (with the benefit of a Premium account).  I think the ship is worth the investment.  

• Cool 1

[-BSS-]
Members
386 posts
5,976 battles

My understanding is there may be a few new premiums available soonish, an option is to hold on and see what comes out in the upcoming bunch of new premiums ?  Unless there is one that is really interesting you right now?

Im not sure the currently available ones are the best of the possibilities ?

[-SYN-]
Members
34 posts
694 battles
1 minute ago, Visidious said:

My understanding is there may be a few new premiums available soonish, an option is to hold on and see what comes out in the upcoming bunch of new premiums ?  Unless there is one that is really interesting you right now?

Im not sure the currently available ones are the best of the possibilities ?

I really like the Hipper, and the Eugen (at least currently) is a slightly better premium variant? And you are right, waiting could be good.

[BB22]
Members
136 posts
21,919 battles
15 minutes ago, AOT_Jaeger2 said:

How often is that, normally?

There is one a the end of this month, according to the hint in April Mission Briefing.

Sales and Surprises

• Things get hairy with this recruitable Commander
  • Take on some missions for a free Premium cruiser. Nice! 
  • Torpedo time
  • Go for the gold

Beta Testers
29 posts
5,566 battles
3 minutes ago, AOT_Jaeger2 said:

I really like the Hipper, and the Eugen (at least currently) is a slightly better premium variant? And you are right, waiting could be good.

They are almost carbon copies, however WG will soon be differentiating them by buffing the Hippers reload and giving Eugen a repair party. While it has a reputation as a weak ship if you like Hippers you will like Eugen.

[-SYN-]
Members
34 posts
694 battles
2 minutes ago, BigBlackRat said:

There is one a the end of this month, according to the hint in April Mission Briefing.

Sales and Surprises

• Things get hairy with this recruitable Commander
  • Take on some missions for a free Premium cruiser. Nice! 
  • Torpedo time
  • Go for the gold

1 minute ago, gunfighter24 said:

They are almost carbon copies, however WG will soon be differentiating them by buffing the Hippers reload and giving Eugen a repair party. While it has a reputation as a weak ship if you like Hippers you will like Eugen.

Hmmm...I'll have to think on this for sure.

[WG-CC]
9,072 posts
7,618 battles

Hot off the presses.  This was a modest game, highlighted only by being able to wreck the face of a Kutuzov that was camping in smoke.  All of the citadel hits were scored on her in ranges in excess of 10 to 14km.  I'm running a premium account.  No signal flags were used in this match.  There were no other bonuses on earnings.  I run three premium consumable which cuts into my payout quite a bit.

• For a non-premium account, earning between 150,000 to 300,000 per match should be expected.  Extreme matches may exceed 375,000.  If you get deleted without contributing, this may drop to around 100,000.
  • For a premium account, this will be 50% higher -- about 225,000 to 450,000 per match.  Extreme matches may exceed 500,000.  If you get deleted without contributing, you should still see at least 150,000.

Gxe2eyH.jpgKYyYtgP.jpgirF1UO6.jpg9sxIF5k.jpg

• Cool 3

[WOLF6]
Members
303 posts
4,364 battles
56 minutes ago, AOT_Jaeger2 said:

Ahoy!

It's been a little while since I've been on the forums. Since then I've started down a few lines that I've really liked...and a few that I really didn't. Birthday rolled around and I have a couple gift cards that I probably won't use for anything else. I did the math and I can get around about 20k gold. And because of that I'm going to look into buying my first premium ship (well, I've had the Texas and Diana, but those don't really count). But boy are there a looooot of choices.

I'm pretty new in terms of battles, I'll admit. But I'd like to say I'm a decent player and probably wouldnt be the typical Tier VIII premium noob. Even so, I still have no idea what to get. Thus far I'm grinding the German cruisers (almost at the Nurnburg) , American Cruisers (got the Pensacola, dont wanna play it stock and will probably ignore it until the line split thing), Russian Cruisers (Shchors is ok) and probably the IJN BBs. Thus far my favorite ships have been the Konigsberg, Kirov, Budyonny, and Wyoming. Note that I've also played several ships on the PTS, and took a particular shine to the North Carolina and the Hipper.

What is a good first premium? I'm a bit greedy. I'm looking for a ship that is a good crew trainer, profitable, competitive, and isn't a ship that requires and extreme level of skill. My clanmates have recommended the Alabama as being the best ship. I also took a look at the Atago, Tirpitz, and Molotov.

Any Help?

Cheers,

AOT_Jaeger2 :cap_rambo:

I'd grab the Alabama before she goes off rotation , the Molotov is cheap and seems to be always available , you can always grab her later .

[-SYN-]
Members
34 posts
694 battles
17 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Hot off the presses.  This was a modest game, highlighted only by being able to wreck the face of a Kutuzov that was camping in smoke.  All of the citadel hits were scored on her in ranges in excess of 10 to 14km.  I'm running a premium account.  No signal flags were used in this match.  There were no other bonuses on earnings.  I run three premium consumable which cuts into my payout quite a bit.

• For a non-premium account, earning between 150,000 to 300,000 per match should be expected.  Extreme matches may exceed 375,000.  If you get deleted without contributing, this may drop to around 100,000.
  • For a premium account, this will be 50% higher -- about 225,000 to 450,000 per match.  Extreme matches may exceed 500,000.  If you get deleted without contributing, you should still see at least 150,000.

Gxe2eyH.jpgKYyYtgP.jpgirF1UO6.jpg9sxIF5k.jpg

Nice game. Also the idea of citadeling enemies from long range sounds very nice. I like my mobile Russian cruisers... and credit income seems great. How reliable are the guns?

[-SYN-]
Members
34 posts
694 battles
2 minutes ago, retic1959 said:

I'd grab the Alabama before she goes off rotation , the Molotov is cheap and seems to be always available , you can always grab her later .

There's a rotation for tech tree premiums?

[WOLF6]
Members
303 posts
4,364 battles
2 minutes ago, AOT_Jaeger2 said:

There's a rotation for tech tree premiums?

Yup , never know how long they'll be on for , but the Tirpitz , Atago and the Molotov have been available in the premium shop at least since I've been playing the game , the Alabama comes and goes though .

[-SYN-]
Members
34 posts
694 battles
2 minutes ago, MajorEnglush said:

Have to also recommend the Molotov. It is a fantastic ship, IMHO.

FB_IMG_1523120674124.jpg

...How many credits?

[WG-CC]
9,072 posts
7,618 battles
1 minute ago, AOT_Jaeger2 said:

Nice game. Also the idea of citadeling enemies from long range sounds very nice. I like my mobile Russian cruisers... and credit income seems great. How reliable are the guns?

Stupidly reliable, especially in regards to their AP performance.  They have ridiculous amounts of penetration for a cruiser.  Lemme dig up a chart.

aGsza2y.png

Molotov can citadel broadside cruiser targets up to her maximum range without issue.  This can also contest the upper hulls of a lot of battleships too, giving her a reliable source of damage until someone angles.  Her high explosive shells are a little more mixed.  They do good damage and they have a nice fire chance per shell, however at 180mm in caliber, they have "only" 30mm worth of penetration.  This is more than sufficient when you're top tier -- there won't be any ships within your matchmaking spread that you won't be able to damage the majority of the enemy vessel.  However, when facing tier 8 battleships, your shells will shatter even on the soft extremities unless you invest in Inertial Fuse for HE Shells for 4 skill points which is pretty steep.

• Cool 1