You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KalishniKat

HMS Penelope..Why Not????

13 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,287 battles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Penelope_(97)

We have the Huanghe, which is an Arethusa class already, and Penelope is a much more famous and battle hardened ship. Plus putting Penelope as a tier 5 premium would go a long way towards rectifying the insult of putting the barely tier 4 Emerald as a tier 5 cruiser. I'd buy her. I'd buy any number of good lower tier premiums like HMS Attacker, ORP Dragon and of course any of the awesome dreadnaughts and battle cruisers that WG ignores in favor of paper ships from glorious dreams of Stalin. 

• Cool 6

[HELLS]
Members
1,684 posts
15,185 battles

+1 upvote! Force K at Malta, 1st and 2nd Sirte, and a whole lot more. I'm all in for this one. Give her Gallant's torpedoes and you have a good mix at T5 to replace Emerald. Emerald's guns are deadly but to get best use from them you have to expose the glass broadside. Instant delete...

[TF16B]
Members
8,051 posts
16,991 battles
1 hour ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

Emerald's guns are deadly but to get best use from them you have to expose the glass broadside. Instant delete...

Never really seem to have much trouble with that last...

[XBRTC]
Members
1,197 posts
7,146 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Never really seem to have much trouble with that last...

Dude. I've deleted full-health Emeralds with other cruisers, never mind with battleships.

They're hilariously easy to zap.

1,266 posts
13 battles

Thanks for the suggestion and input regarding HMS Penelope being implemented into the game guys!

[ARGSY]
Members
5,724 posts
3,912 battles

Putting ORP Dragon in would give Blys captains something else to do with their skills. IIRC she is a modified Danae-class cruiser; not sure how well she would survive at Tier V, so you would have to consider her as a Tier IV premium.

[WOLFX]
Members
214 posts
1,718 battles

Given my massive hard on for British Cruisers, I of course would love to have Penelope in game.

Supertester
1,459 posts
16 battles

Penelope is a decent choice for a premium because of her service, however she faces stiff competition to be a T5 premium CL. If I get my way, Emerald would be moved to a premium role at tier 5 with two hulls and Arethusa takes her place. This premium Emerald goes alongside other T5 premium RN CL candidates. Namely; Effingham and a choice of Bellona or Scylla/Charybdis (whichever other one goes to T4). 

This would mean that Penelope would ideally be suitably attractive to be worth it. Considering that Exeter could also be a potential tier 5 premium, the odds do seem a bit unlikely to create an albeit famed clone of the tech tree ship. 

[SIDE]
Members
714 posts
3,131 battles

Would be a good Tier 4 even. /shrug.

Edited by Merlox

[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,287 battles

Well Huanghe is essentially the same ship as a TIER 6 premium!!....Dragon at T4 and Penelope at T5 and both with HE and you have some damn good cruisers.

[SCRAP]
Beta Testers
1,427 posts
4,527 battles

HMS Pepperpot would be tough at T5 against the likes of Karlsruhe ...

But, then, so would Leander and Perth. But Wargaming has successfully made these T6 ships - balanced against Cleveland!

The Arethusa scout cruisers would serve well as a kind of "super destroyer" - too small for a cruiser of the line, too big as a normal destroyer - as they actually did in the Mediterranean.

Huanghe has post-war turrets, I believe.

[GRFOX]
Members
2,205 posts
4,521 battles

Heck while your at it

HMS Thunder Child 

Edited by GreyFox78659

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,658 posts
9,977 battles
2 hours ago, KalishniKat said:

Well Huanghe is essentially the same ship as a TIER 6 premium!!....Dragon at T4 and Penelope at T5 and both with HE and you have some damn good cruisers.

So T5 is my bet too - with HE potentially and Perth smoke, or AP and Leander-style smoke. Huanghe had a couple of gimmicks added and her 'made in Russia rebuild' gave her in-game advantages:

• The Huanghe's Russian 152/57 Mk. 4 has better ballistic performance than the British 152/50 Mk XXI - at 15km the Russian shell gets there in 9.85 instead of 12.01s. In addition the Russian gun gets 12% fire chance and 2200 HE damage vs. 9%/2100
  • The Huanghe's guns were buffed in testing from 8 to 8.6 RPM, Penelope should only get 8 RPM
  • The Huanghe has TRB which is pretty nonsensical
  • The Huanghe managed to replace her 4x2 102/45 which do 37.6 DPS with 100mm/70 guns that do 78 DPS, both at 5km

All together a 'realistic' Penelope could not compete with Huanghe at T6. She's out gunned, out-AA'd and out-gimmicked. She equally can't compete with Perth being in essence a cut-down Amphion.

2 hours ago, HMS_Formidable said:

Huanghe has post-war turrets, I believe.

Yes and no, they were designed just before WWII but the guns never came into service until the Chapayevs limped into view in 1949. The specific mounting used for the Huanghe seems to be the secondary mount designed for the Sovetsky Soyuz class battleships which were lain down in 1938/1939 and might have been finished by 1942-1943. It's certainly a more modern weapon than the British 6in which dates back to 1930.

Overall I would definitely support the inclusion of HMS Penelope. My only reservation would be that of the Arethusa's I think the Aurora is more deserving. Unfortunately there's a conflict with one of the dozen Russian cruiser names, so Penelope might be the easier inclusion.