You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Weird and wonderful idea for captain skills.

7 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
5,709 posts
3,886 battles

It is this: allow a parallel stream, which for the sake of this post I will call naval engineer or naval constructor. It would be selected when you recruit a new captain with a ship, and would be irreversible for that captain.

PENALTIES

Can never exceed a certain number of skill points, suggest somewhere between six and ten: justification, they are not in the command stream and will never rise to full flag rank.

Skill points come with an extra loading of XP to earn, suggest between 5% and 10%

5% penalty to gun dispersion, traverse, reload, and only wide torpedo spread available (because their training in this area is a token gesture).

No more than one constructor captain per nation; no more than three per account. Choose carefully. Constructor captains cannot be dismissed.

(?? PvE-limited.)

(?? earning effects of premium account are negated.)

BENEFITS:

Once selected for a nation, can transfer between any of that nation's ships without retraining penalty. ALTERNATIVELY, if this seems too much, if they are in a ship of a given tier and type they can transfer UP to the next tier in that type without retraining (they built it; they know how to drive it). e.g. if they were in an Emerald when the Leander research was completed, they can go into the Leander without penalty.

All damage control modules on the ship they are in (but ONLY damage control modules) have an extra charge and premium cooldown times (they built it; they know how to fix it).

20% bonus to effect of survivability skills, fire suppression and flooding-repair flags.

Is this realistic, or would it result in unkillable, game-breaking ships?

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
242 posts
607 battles
14 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It is this: allow a parallel stream, which for the sake of this post I will call naval engineer or naval constructor. It would be selected when you recruit a new captain with a ship, and would be irreversible for that captain.

PENALTIES

Can never exceed a certain number of skill points, suggest somewhere between six and ten: justification, they are not in the command stream and will never rise to full flag rank.

Skill points come with an extra loading of XP to earn, suggest between 5% and 10%

5% penalty to gun dispersion, traverse, reload, and only wide torpedo spread available (because their training in this area is a token gesture).

No more than one constructor captain per nation; no more than three per account. Choose carefully. Constructor captains cannot be dismissed.

(?? PvE-limited.)

(?? earning effects of premium account are negated.)

BENEFITS:

Once selected for a nation, can transfer between any of that nation's ships without retraining penalty. ALTERNATIVELY, if this seems too much, if they are in a ship of a given tier and type they can transfer UP to the next tier in that type without retraining (they built it; they know how to drive it). e.g. if they were in an Emerald when the Leander research was completed, they can go into the Leander without penalty.

All damage control modules on the ship they are in (but ONLY damage control modules) have an extra charge and premium cooldown times (they built it; they know how to fix it).

20% bonus to effect of survivability skills, fire suppression and flooding-repair flags.

Is this realistic, or would it result in unkillable, game-breaking ships?

I guess I'm unclear, why do we want this? 

Edit: Was it common for engineers to be in control of the ships they built? I guess I don't understand why you want this.

Edited by ArgosRising

Members
1,688 posts
7,230 battles

Limitations far outweighs the benefits, and that’s without taking into account how elite captain XP makes retraining the captains a breeze.

• Cool 1

[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,978 posts
9,855 battles
21 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

without taking into account how elite captain XP makes retraining the captains a breeze.

Yep .

:Smile_honoring:

[ARGSY]
Members
5,709 posts
3,886 battles
5 hours ago, ArgosRising said:

I guess I'm unclear, why do we want this? 

Edit: Was it common for engineers to be in control of the ships they built? I guess I don't understand why you want this.

Just a crazy idea that came into my head before my blood caffeine levels were adequate this morning.

[-K-]
Supertester
3,085 posts
6,818 battles

Keep the ideas coming. Trying to find ways to improve things is a worthwhile endeavor even if you never truly succeed.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I don't understand this a Captain with limited points for certain small benefits.  Is there a president where an Engineer or Constructor actually commanded a ship in Battle? I thought they were for sea trials as an adviser. Not in command perse, but in an expert capacity of expectations.