Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
kiwi1960

This really happened....

4 comments in this topic

[1RD]
Members
524 posts

After the war, the British Government wanted to test a new primary gun for a destroyer....

So.... the Navy tug towed the targets at a respectable speed and distance away form the tug itself....

The Destroyer, with the new guns then raced up and fired.... and promptly.... the tug sank.....

The guns were proven a success and adopted by the Navy.

As far as I know... the targets survive to this day sitting in a maritime museum somewhere when this story is told over and over again.... :)

Edited by kiwi1960
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 2

Alpha Tester
4,715 posts
2,408 battles

Funny. What's the source?

[1RD]
Members
524 posts

I have a book, and for the life of me, cannot find it. AT the time, I checked online and it was true.

I'll look now.... (seconds for me, hours for me?) .... I'm back! :Smile_sceptic:

found it....
-----------------------------------

"In 1947, the Battle-class Destroyer, HMS Saintes was selected to trial a new gun, the 4.5-inch twin turret, which was to become the standard main armament for the British navy's destroyer fleet.

The tug, HMS Buccaneer towed a target across Saintes bows to test the accuracy of the guns. Saintes fired, missed that target, ans sank HMS Buccaneer.

----------------------

Needless to say, the admirals were impressed and adopted the new gun!

Although the story from the book and the wiki page disagree of the circumstances (like the name of the ship and what it was doing, testing or calibrating?)) ... they both agree the tug was sunk! :Smile_Default: Score one for the RED team!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_St._James_(D65)

EVEN MORE INTRIGUING NOW....
There WAS a ship of the same class called Saintes and SHE did trial a new gun....

When Saintes first commissioned in 1946 she joined the 5th destroyer flotilla and was used to trial the new 4.5-inch Mk 6 twin turret which became the standard destroyer main armament until well into the 1970s.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Saintes_(D84)

Edited by kiwi1960
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,870 posts
13,378 battles

Did they paint it pink for the next 8 tug battles?

• Funny 3

Sign in to follow this