You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grand_Viceroy_Zhou_Ziyu

Need tips: As a former cruiser, now BB main, what am I doing right, what am I doing wrong?

20 comments in this topic

Members
2,117 posts
4,727 battles

I used to be a cruiser player but since the shift to a BB meta I've become a BB main. From a comprehensive analysis of my WT and other indicators, what am I doing right as a BB  player, and what am I doing wrong / need improvement on? Am I doing well, average, or mediocre? Thanks.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,501 battles
1 minute ago, Zionas said:

I used to be a cruiser player but since the shift to a BB meta I've become a BB main. From a comprehensive analysis of my WT and other indicators, what am I doing right as a BB  player, and what am I doing wrong / need improvement on? Am I doing well, average, or mediocre? Thanks.

I’m a Cruiser player also , still am but have taken up BBS also, I find that my Cruiser instinct does not serve me well in BBS and I constantly get out of position because of slow turns slow loading slow turrets, the best plays is when I team up with others to push or ... hate to say this do a little camping

I did not see any of your info stats to comment

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles
1 minute ago, Zionas said:

YOu can check on Warships TOday.

It helps if you post the link yourself...:Smile_sceptic:

https://na.warships.today/player/1007188249/Zionas

Stats are different from game performance. But the stats don't look terrible in my opinion. The game is such a rock-paper-scissors type of thing there is bound to be a fair sized learning curve to switching.

But BBs are the best by far:cap_rambo:

[BOSS]
Beta Testers
2,656 posts
10,235 battles

I dont understand this BB main/Cruiser main/DD main nonsense.  All ship classes in this game can be fun and have their own set of quirks to learn. To simply not play them all is doing a disservice to yourself simply because you can see the other side of the coin in many ways.  Trying to torp a BB in a DD gives you more an appreciation of what its like to play a DD in that stance, and might help you avoid torps later on while the situation is reversed.

I encourage everyone to not pigeon hole themselves in this game into a certain class.   There may very well be a class you play better than others or enjoy playing over others but being proficient in all will make you a better player all around.

• Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,423 posts
3,367 battles
6 hours ago, TurboT said:

I dont understand this BB main/Cruiser main/DD main nonsense.  All ship classes in this game can be fun and have their own set of quirks to learn. To simply not play them all is doing a disservice to yourself simply because you can see the other side of the coin in many ways.  Trying to torp a BB in a DD gives you more an appreciation of what its like to play a DD in that stance, and might help you avoid torps later on while the situation is reversed.

I encourage everyone to not pigeon hole themselves in this game into a certain class.   There may very well be a class you play better than others or enjoy playing over others but being proficient in all will make you a better player all around.

I certainly get what you're saying, but different people with different playstyles will play different ships well and the "main" nomenclature is just a simple way to state what you're best at. Me for example, I would describe myself as a cruiser player, light crusiers in particular. BUT at the same time and even though my best ship is currently the Roon I like my Hiryu rather well, I've got my battleships that I like (Gneisenau in particular), and destroyers... Exist in my port. Okay I can destroyer well with a bit of luck, but until I get up into the bigger destroyer leaders and more gunboat-y ships I feel like I'm failing upward.

As for your issue OP, I'd say you have the answer already in your port: Battlecruisers and fast battleships. Can't really say much without seeing your actual play in a replay, but ships like the KGV, Scharnhorst, and Kongo *should* be a decent bridge into what other BBs can do. They have the big guns, size, and repair of a full battleship or dreadnought-style ship, but with mobility and health that are closer to what you're used to.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles

Most Cruisers prefer to be further along in their max range, at least towards 15km+.  Gunnery for most Cruiser Lines, i.e. Non-USN / Non-RN Cruisers, is very good still past 15km.  It also makes it easier to maneuver and try to evade Battleship gunfire as you got range + time to do so.

Battleships are different.  Many Battleships will struggle at 15km+, especially Germans.  There are many BBs that excel in the 14km or less window, USN BBs in particular are such cases at Tier VIII and below.

First thing I say for a BB:  Get Closer, but be very careful once you get into the 10km or less range, especially if you aren't paying attention to where DDs and Cruisers are at.  The closer you are to 10km, you start having to worry about torpedoes, especially when pushing.  Get closer so that your gunnery is more accurate, devastating, but not so close where you put yourself in excessive danger.  I'll take "Sniper" BBs like Yamato, Montana into the 12-14km window any day if its feasible, because their accuracy will be that much more dangerous.

Secondly?  Shoot at Destroyers.  Battleship shells are not only devastating to Cruisers, but DDs cannot afford to take them.  A Battleship Penetrating hit with AP on a DD is devastating (until WG nerfs that).  I've seen Montanas 1-salvo DDs from high HP levels to "Exit to Port" levels too many times, all without Detonations.  Your Damage output for a match may not be as high as if you were trying to farm damage off BBs, Cruisers while shooting at DDs instead, but smacking DDs around is rewarding.

1.  You gain quite a bit of XPs for doing damage to Destroyers because percentage wise, it's quite a bit of their HP.

2.  Any damage you do, or better yet, any kills you get against enemy DDs is a boost to your team's chances on winning.  Dmg / Kills against DDs makes the job of your own DDs much more easy.  Consider that almost every DD in the game, even in high tier, lacks Repair Party.  Damage taken is permanent for almost all DDs.  That Shimakaze of your team, if she no longer has to worry about Gearing, Z-52, Khab, can literally go wild against the enemy team, doing whatever the hell she wants.  DDs that get that kind of freedom, if played correctly, can literally push an entire team away from a cap by themselves.  Almost no Battleship, no Cruiser wants to push towards an undetected DD, especially if that undetected DD is going to spot them for other ships further back can shoot at whatever they spot.  Not even a DM is good for this.  As soon as the DM gets spotted, that DM's priority target counter skyrockets to 5+ enemies and will not live past a few seconds.  Any damage, kills in the Anti-DD effort of your team has huge ramifications.  Also, if your friendly DDs know they got team gun support, they will be bolder.  Good DDs with good support feel like they got all the power in the world.  If they got support, they will aggressively push, probe, torpedo, and spot for the team.  If the DDs believe they got poor support and wishy-washy teams, then there's only so much DDs can do.

Thirdly, and related to the first point, is Battleship close proximity to the fight.  A BB sitting 18km back is useless.  Nobody is worried about those BBs.  Their accuracy and hit rates are poor.  But the BB that is sitting around 12-15km to the fight, THAT is dangerous.  The BB's gunnery is more reliable.  Even "Broken Zeiss Optics" German BBs are reliable shooters at 14km or less.  North Carolina with those shells coming down from the skies with parachutes becomes reliable an DEADLY with those "American Piercing" shells.  14km or less is as good as point blank range for IJN BBs.  Add onto more reliable gunnery, the BB ability to withstand punishment is important.  Cruisers don't have the staying power.  Once shells start going their way, they need to bail the f--k out, or risk deletion.  A BB can take it.  The BB can stay in the fight providing firepower.  That is where the BB is crucial.  BBs close to a fight IMO are the "Anchors" of the effort.  They draw fire, they absorb gunfire, and they punish in return.  BBs get so much attention, that the DDs in front of them get much more freedom.  If the BB is sitting too far back, then enemy guns are looking for more tempting, closer targets, i.e. opposing DDs that their own DDs find.  Again, a delicate balancing act has to be exercised.  The BB needs to be as close as it can to be reliable in gunnery, but not too close where it's open to easy torpedo attack or excessive focus fire efforts.

The image below is a picture perfect example of:  "How not to play your Battleship"

HeM2f7l.jpg

The DDs of the team had literally gotten 2/3 of the caps.  It should have been a simple "Defend Cap B until we get 1000pts or the reds die" but instead, our BBs were nowhere near the action.  We had 603 pts to the reds' 380.  It should have been simple.  The Mahan tried to help in B but didn't last long.  Once me and Mahan were dealt with, as we were the ONLY ships defending Cap B, it was over.  The cowards in the back were still run down, 1 by 1, and killed.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WORX]
Members
1,634 posts
12,682 battles

I think, BB drivers should play more small boys ships so that they too can feel the frustration of

• BB being out of position to sink red cruisers
  • BB not helping to defend caps
  • Chasing ships to see Santa to the north pole.
  • being to aggressive at the wrong time
  • playing to snip or to passive

I would say if a BB driver doesn;t  play cruisers or DDs, its hard for them to relate as to where there BB power is truly needed in assisting them. If I play a BB I play the

• objective of helping my cruisers,
  • contest caps,
  • Defend caps
  • I know that if there is no red DDs left then I play more aggressive.

Bottom line I dont think cruisers or DD drivers have to get a BB to know a BB driver is failing in one of these situations. I DO think they need practice in BB driving to do great in the above situations. Given Upper tiered BBs have cruiser tools like radar/hydro, its not a bad idea for a BB driver to drive a cruiser from time to time. Especially the BB drivers that are so scared to get there ships battle wet or rarely use the hydro or radar. Cheers!

Members
1,505 posts
7,927 battles

Hey

I started with BB's, then cruisers and now playing more DD's.  They each have an interesting spin  and with your BB; it depends on what Nation your running.  The low and mid tier BB's tent to be very slow, so stay centrally located within the map since if you get off to one side, you are too slow to make it back to the fight.  Their guns are usually decent and their AA is ok for the tier, the Germans have (IMHO the best) have good armor for brawling, decent hitting guns at mid to close range, AA if decent, The RN BB's are slow, very sluggish rudder shift for my likings and I genuinely didn't like, they are known for being HE spammer (another trait I don't like), the French BB's are pretty ok in the handling department, good guns but mid-tiers suffer some from smaller calibers and they have German like dispersion but seem to hit harder.  I have only run Japanese T5 and they are fast, good hitting guns, but turret rotation is slow and they have weak AA, the Italian T5 is a almost OP ship and does everything right for the tier.  The Russian T5 BB is a lot of fun, hits hard, slightly sluggish in rudder but not bad, gun rotation is slow.

Best advice is that you must plan your engagements ahead of time, use the mini map and always be aware of how the battle is unfolding.  You must preplan the direction that your turrets are pointing towards any given enemy, getting surprised and having your guns pointed the wrong way can be a death sentence since they are so slow to rotate.   Always pay special attention to where the DD's are even if your not in that immediate area.  If you even remotely think a DD could be around, pop a aircraft if you have one.  If you are focused by a carrier, turn into the torp planes to help you avoid eating too many, never sail in a straight line unless they are dive bombers.  Then immediately took to see where your nearest enemy ship and get those guns back on target.  If you have a formidable enemy use your front guns on him without showing your broadside, when he fires at you, then you can swing your ship to shoot the back guns, then immediately turn to eliminate your broadside, going back to a bow on posture, repeat as many times as needed.  Brawling as very close range is very fun, but you have to know your ship and what it can take and it only works when it's just the two of you and your have good health and he has the same or worse health.  Sometimes you will have to slow down slightly for the rudder to do the max. turn rate staying inside the turn of your enemy, this way you keep the most guns on him at all times, doing your best to limit your broadside.  I save these brawlings for the ned of the game or it's important to take out their biggest asset.  Always, always, always support your team, support the DD's going into caps, support your Cruisers since hopefully they also will be supporting the DD's.  Always play the objective, be it caps, epicenter.  You are the ultimate support ship, the bully of your team, don't think it's best to sit back at base and snipe or sit back 1/2 way through a game and not done much to put a hurt on the enemy.  Prioritize the threats to your team getting the objective; who is harassing your DD getting the cap,  sometimes foregoing damage to aid your team is getting more done than farming damage.  It's about your team winning a game and less about you.  BB's are great fun and it feels good to be a leader on a winning team.

Pete

• Cool 1

Members
2,117 posts
4,727 battles

What's difficult for me is finding that balance between pushing and staying back. I often find myself pushing too far and being isolated while my team runs away at the first sight of an enemy. At other times I try to play more cautiously but overdo it. It's really hard especially when the team is really disorganized and all over the place. At other times, especially in a slow BB like a dreadnought, the battle's pretty much decided once I arrive on the scene. I hate it when I cannot contribute much. If you look at my Warships Today page and the battleships I perform decently in (New Mexico, Colorado, Kongo, Queen Elizabeth, Orion etc.), you will notice that I tend to do above average damage with an above average K/D and ship kill ratio, but my EXP gains are low across the board (well, are they that good of an indicator of performance anyway?).

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles
2 hours ago, Zionas said:

What's difficult for me is finding that balance between pushing and staying back. I often find myself pushing too far and being isolated while my team runs away at the first sight of an enemy. At other times I try to play more cautiously but overdo it. It's really hard especially when the team is really disorganized and all over the place. At other times, especially in a slow BB like a dreadnought, the battle's pretty much decided once I arrive on the scene. I hate it when I cannot contribute much. If you look at my Warships Today page and the battleships I perform decently in (New Mexico, Colorado, Kongo, Queen Elizabeth, Orion etc.), you will notice that I tend to do above average damage with an above average K/D and ship kill ratio, but my EXP gains are low across the board (well, are they that good of an indicator of performance anyway?).

That is always the fine line for Battleships, being close enough to the fight yet not close enough to get rekt.

As for pushing and finding yourself suddenly alone in your BB, I know that problem all to well.  That was a major issue for me until I learned to "read" my teammates.  Eventually you start getting a feel of how aggressive they are.  You learn to read how timid they will be, you feel it in your gut that your teammates are going to bail.  When you get that feeling early on, make sure you got an exit plan.  If you are in 11km to the reds and in open water before you realize that, it's way too late.

As for the slow BBs, the only thing you can do is read the match properly and sail to where you need to be.  Some players are very wishy-washy in where they want their BB to go, and if it's something like New Mexico 21kt speed, they'll arrive too late.  Quickly come up with where you want to go and GO.  Also, be very careful with some maps in where you go.

Strait is a big problem where slow BBs end up wasting a tremendous amount of time.

300px-Strait.png

You see those channels in the west and east?  A lot of times I see BBs sail through them at the start, and it effectively removes them from battle from almost half the match.  That's not smart sailing and it screws your team over when your BBs take themselves out of the fight for that long.  Be smart where you sail in the map with a slow BB, or you just screwed you and your team over by taking yourself out of the fight.

You want to improve your XPs?  Focus on the objectives more, i.e. attack targets pertinent to the objective.  Your DDs are working a cap, support them with your gunfire.  I said earlier in this thread, SMACK DESTROYERS AROUND with your Battleship guns.

I've had games with Montana where I get very mediocre damage, i.e. 45k, 60k.  That's pitiful for a Tier X BB.  My Div Mates in ships like Hindenburg are sporting 140k+ damage.  I don't kill anything.  Yet I get Top Score for my team despite only doing pitiful damage with my BB.  Why?  Because a lot of my damage was me smacking Destroyers around.

When you look up some guys and their BB stats, you note that their Damage Average isn't all that great but their XP Average is high.  Why?  Because they smack DDs around.  Not too many do this, as BBs tend to look for larger, easier to hit targets and not something small, fast, nimble like a DD.  Yet when BB shells hit DDs, it's catastrophic damage for them, and typically permanent damage.

[AK-47]
Members
151 posts
3,095 battles

I havent been playing long. Started after Christmas this year but play a lot... 

I just started bbs also after getting usn and rn cruisers to tier 9. Then I started playing French bbs cause I liked there mobility and speed... I have Alsace and Richie which I like Richie better.. I also have the unique capt thats16pts... then I finally got my Des Moines... I love going after dds at around 10-13k anything further I switch because they could easily avoid your shots unless you time their turns since most players hold turns and go back in the same pattern not even thinking about it... 

How are my stats? First time actually checking them on a website since I didn’t know they had websites that showed all this.. I know number of battles for ships are low but like I said just started dec 2017..

A16C7140-D64E-4CEE-9D1C-15F43F1071AF.png

Members
1,505 posts
7,927 battles

Hey

If your in a slow BB; the best thing you can do is play a central position in the map; if you spawn off to one side, support the side your on; do not go all the way across the map and then have no hope of ever making it back centrally to help your team.  I see so many people who want to sail across the map only to miss the battle on that side when they finally got there; the are completely worthless while trying to get back into any kind of battle.  Support the side your on (lets say C) but your DD decides to go B, ok then do what you can to support that DD and any cruisers but always stay central.  Higher tiers/higher speed BB's can move around more, generally have longer range guns and can get around easier supporting where they are most useful, and that is not sitting in base, behind islands, etc.  Everyone needs at times to pull back. heal up but then go back into the fight supporting your team, but let your team know if you need to drop back.  Always, always shoot the targets of highest priority first, DD's or supporting cruisers, save the BB's for last unless it's the only thing for you to shoot at.  Even overpens on a DD is health he can't heal (unless its a Kidd) and puts him one hit closer to death.  Nothing worse for a DD is to have late game DD's still running around capping and torping.

Pete

P.S.  Don't worry about those W/R numbers; there are many games that you can't win no matter what you do.  I have a standing joke about 90% of my games over 100K are losses.  I did everything I could but it's still a loss, it sucks but move on.  Too many people worry about numbers.

Edited by sasquatch_research

[DRACS]
Members
3,342 posts
On 06/04/2018 at 10:48 PM, Zionas said:

I see. I consider myself to be an average player overall, maybe slightly above, but then the bar for average in this game certainly isn't high.

At 55% solo win rate on battleships, you're certainly much better than the average player. Remember that the average player hovers around 47-48% or so due to the fact that unicums play MUCH more often than your average joe, which brings the average up. Hell, I'm sitting at 52.2% with BBs (since I first started playing) and I still spend all my time crying and banging my head at how abysmal most players are.

Only thing I see that I find it a bit concerning is that your average XP is a bit low. But I gather you don't have a premium account? If that's the case, take what you have and multiply it by 1.5 to get a proper feel for how much XP you're getting compared to most long term players.

Tips I can propose? If I can since I still think you're better than me ;)

- ALWAYS target cruisers and DDs first unless they are far and shaking their behinds constantly.
- Know your concealment range and don't push further than about two thirds of the concealment distance into the closest cap to start. You want to get as close as possible without being spotted by the enemy DDs sitting at the far end of the cap.
- BBs are tanks. It's their utility role. You still want to angle and not yolo charge the entire enemy team, of course, but you should make it a point of pride to soak up as much potential damage as possible. Hell, I've had 3 million potential damage matches in my Hood and survived. And won because the enemy team was wasting their ammo on me. BBs are tanks. If your cruiser buddies are getting deleted around you, you're maybe not presenting yourself as enough of a threat. Don't border hump.
- Don't be afraid to brawl and push into a cap later in the game. Unless you're Yamato or Roma with a citadel a small child can hit with a slingshot. And even there, as long as you can ensure ships can't flank you, you're fine. Just be aware of DD threats.

Edited by KaptainKaybe

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles
30 minutes ago, Zionas said:

I am no a premium player, have never purchase diamonds premium time. Not once. How are my other stats in BBs and overall in terms of damage, K/D, MBH, survival etc?

Tier VII and below I'd say you're fine.  There's some ships you probably could have made better match choices with, but damage and all that is fine.  Looking at your stat summaries at the top of your page:

https://na.warships.today/player/1007188249/Zionas

You're on an upward trend.  Keep it up, but think more of match winning, supportive moves.  Doing damage is fine.  Now it's time to apply that damage on the right ships at right areas of the match.

You're just getting into Tier VIII with your BBs.  That tier, IMO, is typically the first big "Difficulty Wall" because ships you are facing, the meta of Tier VIII-X battles, is nothing at all like you encountered before.  The hell of Tier V-VI facing VII-VIII threats is a totally different game compared to VIII-X.  It's much more dangerous and you have to be super-aware of your position at all times.  ANY high tier ship, no matter how good it is, caught at the wrong place at the wrong time will die quickly.  Yamato, Conqueror, Hindenburg, Zao, DDs, whatever.  You'll die so fast that it's shocking.

At lower tiers, you may get away with getting into a bad spot and still turn around and live to tell the tale.  Ship gunnery below Tier VIII is pretty bad so the capacity of ships to punish mistakes is minimal.  At high tier, get into a bad spot and try to turn around against other BBs at 17km, you're going to die, or get close to being sunk even from full HP.  Even the Cruisers will punish you heavily at high tier.  The difference is the range, power, ACCURACY of all ships at high tier are very high.  A Bismarck may be struggle at 15km+, but even "Broken Zeiss Optics" GK at Tier X will be a punishing ship at that range.  12 406 or 420mm guns is not accurate like Montana, Yamato, but is good enough to make someone pay for mistakes.  Let's not even talk about what Yamato, Montana, Conqueror does at even 17km.  Then you got Moskva and her Russian Railguns, Zao HE alpha damage + high fire chance, dancing Henri IV at range with 26% fire chance, Hindenburg with fast firing 8.8 second guns, etc.  All those Tier X Cruisers, except for Minotaur, DM are menacing long ranged threats.

Members
2,117 posts
4,727 battles

Glad to know I'm doing fine. I can't seem to grasp the "rhythm" of matches starting at Tier 8 and above. Tier 7 and below seem relatively straightforward, with pushing into caps and defending if necessary, but Tier 8 and above I can't seem to really get a good knowledge of what exactly my team or the enemy team is trying to do. They don't push when I feel like it but then start pushing when I don't expect it, and I find myself way out of position.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles
1 hour ago, Zionas said:

Glad to know I'm doing fine. I can't seem to grasp the "rhythm" of matches starting at Tier 8 and above. Tier 7 and below seem relatively straightforward, with pushing into caps and defending if necessary, but Tier 8 and above I can't seem to really get a good knowledge of what exactly my team or the enemy team is trying to do. They don't push when I feel like it but then start pushing when I don't expect it, and I find myself way out of position.

These are the 2 first, crucial phases of Tier VIII-X play.

1.  DD attrition.

2.  Long range attrition;  Punish whoever makes a bad move early on.

For No.1, do whatever it takes to punish those DDs.  Whoever wins the DD war wins the match.  Very rare IMO for a team with superior DD situation to lose.

For No.2, don't be one of those guys that get nuked, focus fired early on because they pushed up a little too much at the start.  On the same token, punish those fools that you see make that mistake.  If nobody is making that mistake, then it's long ranged attrition.

The game is in those 2 phases until catastrophic results settle them.  Typically it's No.1.  When people see the opposing DDs are crushed, swept aside, stand by for BOHICA.

Bend Over Here It Comes Again

The ships sitting at safe distances all the sudden will push hard.  Typically DDs are the best insurance in preventing pushes like that due to the threat of torpedoes.  But if the DDs are gone, then people grow their balls again and push.  If your DDs are dead, good luck in stopping that, especially if they got a DD screen ahead of them.

The Ultimate Wild Card however are CVs.  The Tier IX-X ones are super rare, but a CV appearance greatly affects the DD game.

[C-1]
[C-1]
Members
340 posts
6,547 battles

If you are playing as a BB player and are new to the lines, it's best to look up what each BB line plays as.

German BB's, at tier 6+ are brawlers. This means that you want to get in close. Not too close that you become the center of attention, but you certainly want to try to push with the rest of your squad. Your gun accuracy isn't that great at long range and as such a Japanese BB will probably win that. But get a Japanese ship in close, and you've got a advantage.

At Tier 8+ you want to get into roughly 11km's <with secondary build, that is when your massive arsenal of secondary guns begins lighting up targets. Considering the poor accuracy of your main guns and the turtle back armor, you are far stronger against other BB's at these close ranges. NOTE: German BB armor is vulnerable to "Plunging fire". This means that other BB's firing at longer ranges will have shells falling down upon you rather than at your sides. For most ships, this is a slight problem if they hit. In German BB's this is a big problem (also note: AP bombers from CV's are OP against you... they are going to hurt if/when they land a hit). Get in close to those BB's if you can do so without being focused by the rest of the enemy team and despite your turtleback armor, if you show a full broadside, other BB's AP can and will citadel you. Keep a slight angle; just enough to get the rear guns on target. Fire prevention captain skill is also HIGHLY advised.

US BB's up to Tier 7 are slow as molasses. They are good at tanking and dealing out damage, but they are not winning any prizes in a race. They are long to mid-range fighters throughout with some leeway to brawling as well. For these early tiers, you want to focus on one particular side of the map and focus completely on that area. Plan a course of action and follow through with it. You are too slow to go running to help out one side halfway through the match and thus you should focus on your sector.

At tier's 8+ this is where you get your speed boost that you've struggled to obtain. The North Carolina is a long to mid-range ship. Focus your front guns on the target and forget the rear guns. The Frontal armor is nearly impervious to AP shells and you can dish out some hurt easily with the accuracy of your guns. DO NOT attempt to brawl in this ship (if you are forced into close combat, always keep your nose pointed at the enemy and hit reverse) and NEVER show broadside less you want to eat citadel after citadel. A good skill and module to get is concealment and secondary/AA upgrades. The AA on this BB and following BB's is a beast.

Japanese BB's are lightly armored and are designed to snipe from afar. Despite what others constantly say about "Pushing Up!" Doing so in this ship is a good way to low HP fast. The good thing about these BB's, is that they move at a pretty good pace so that they can get into position quickly and begin laying down fire. Currently working my way up (stuck with Nagato for now); up to this point, the Japanese BB's of tier 6 and below have very good guns. Accuracy is a matter of personal skill and luck when aiming at long range. Get good at it and you can hit enemy CV's and BB's from the start... provided your CV spots them for you. These are Long-range ships through and through. Brawling is a death sentence as even angling with your nose pointed at the target is going to get your hurt pretty badly.

One ship worth noting is the tier 6 (for the life of me can't recall the name just yet). If you find yourself facing off against a cruiser in close combat lol... wait till it turns (or get a good angle to hit on it) and fire all of your guns at it. Guaranteed KO.

I'm still trying to find that magic angle that will help out against AP shells getting through. Have yet to find one. Amagi however is noted for having some decent armor, so Tier 8+ might be a different story.

Depending on how you plan on using these ships, Secondary builds are ok as at tier 9+ you can get 11km's on secondary range. Another good choice is to go with skills/modules to extend your life when taking hits. Fire prevention, maintenance, etc. <Things that (when you get the Yamato) will keep you on the map longer. Yamato is already hard to kill, making it harder isn't going to hurt anything.

British BB's are HE only type ships with AP being used against Broadside targets for instant gratification. Not notably speedy or durable, they are on par with US BB's. What they do have is healing perks and stealth. As such, focusing on upping those are a good skill and module route to take. They are a bit squishier than US BB's, but really hard to see a difference between the two. They seems to take damage a bit better though, especially with regards to how well they heal up. <Not exactly sure, but they seem like a alternate ammo type to US BB's to me. US BB's are best using AP only for the majority of the match while British BB's are best using HE the whole time.

Mid to limited Long-range is their play style with focusing on being able to disappear with concealment to get you out of situations. You want to attack, go dark, heal up, and then attack again. Since your fire chance is amazing, you can fire, wait for them to repair then fire again and let the fire damage kill the enemy off. <You can always help it along with additional salvo's though.

French BB's are tough. Surprisingly so. Pretty speedy to boot. They don't have amazing armor but can take a beating... their guns are lethal though. I've seen a few shrug off AP that would otherwise hurt a British and Japanese BB and deal it right back. Secondary Builds work for this line as well. In fact, they have even longer range than the German's secondary build. Not sure if they will receive any nerfs later on, but I don't really see many negative aspects on this line. Of course I'm only at tier 6 for now, but when fighting against them, they are pretty tough.

If I'm not mistaken, their overall Armor value is a bit "weaker" if not angled properly. (again personally speaking) I think that in a one on one match between a North Carolina and the French Tier 8 (whatever its name is), the North Carolina's AP can win in a face-to-face match with North Carolina bouncing more shells than the French. Not really sure though; the French line is a bit too new for me to have any major experience in facing them. I've faced them a few times but can't really recall the exact details of incoming and outgoing fire.

They certainly work well as Mid-range BB's though and those secondary's can eventually reach out to around 11.5km's or so before upgrades and as such, gives you some wiggle room when it comes to combat range. Can't really say much about their Long-range applications.

Brawling Range: 5km's-10km's (German as long as you aren't the focus of attention and at tier 7 you have torps that you can attempt to use... good luck with that though.)

Mid-range:10km's-15km's (US, British, French) (German works here too if brawling isn't your thing)

Long-range: 15km's-20+ (Japanese, US) (Later on British and possibly French)