You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AtlanticRim

The Fighting Lady (AKA USS Yorktown)

9 comments in this topic

[VVV]
Members
339 posts
2,240 battles

So I was fortunate enough to be able to visit Patriot's Point in Charleston, SC this past week. They have the USS Yorktown, USS Laffey, and USS Clamagore. It was really cool to be able to explore a ship like the Yorktown and the museum housed in it, and everything about her was great. I loved the parts with all the super detailed models of ships and battles that they have aboard her in the museum. The Laffey had such a great history (7 kamikaze hits and still floating!!!), and exploring it was great. The video presentations aboard both were all top notch, and just seeing the absolutely giant aircraft carrier from far away as you drive by was just plain awesome.

Also, seeing the massive steel behemoth of a carrier rise above you is just great. In game, you really don't get the same sort of largeness that you actually experience IRL. And also being able to pull up the in-game model of the Essex and look at it and be reminded of something you saw IRL is awesome.

At the end of that trip, I did get a book on the history of the Laffey. Still working my way through it but the tale of "The Ship that Would Not Die" is already a legendary tale.

• Cool 2
  • Angry 1

[VVV]
Members
339 posts
2,240 battles
1 hour ago, WolfofWarship said:

That's awesome @AtlanticRim. Do you have any photos to share? :D

Sadly, no. I was really focused on seeing the ships IRL and not taking photos. I got the souvenir book with photos instead! (You can kinda tell I like books!).

However, I may have some pictures of the ship models in the museum floating around. Might see if I can find them.

• Cool 1

[-WTP-]
Members
34 posts
6,356 battles

I have some photos from my visit to the USS Yorktown if yall would like to see them?

• Cool 2

1,542 posts
26 battles
2 hours ago, airkid1942 said:

I have some photos from my visit to the USS Yorktown if yall would like to see them?

Yes please! 

[-WTP-]
Members
34 posts
6,356 battles

These were from a trip I took back in December 2016 with my then girlfriend. Usually I would have alot like I did when I visited the USS Texas and the HMS Belfast (I can post those on another thread) but she literally left halfway through the self guided tour (even though for the prior three years, she knew I loved everything military history related) so out of concern for her I ended up cutting everything short and missed completely out on the USS Laffy. Needless to say we broke up later that day. Since I am back home in South Carolina, I want to go back and visit again but I have been on the job hunt so it maybe a while before I go back again

IMG_2396.JPG

IMG_2404.JPG

IMG_2402.JPG

IMG_2398.JPG

IMG_2400.JPG

IMG_2406.JPG

IMG_2408.JPG

IMG_2410.JPG

IMG_2412.JPG

IMG_2414.JPG

IMG_2416.JPG

IMG_2418.JPG

IMG_2420.JPG

IMG_2424.JPG

IMG_2426.JPG

IMG_2428.JPG

IMG_2436.JPG

IMG_2438.JPG

• Cool 1

[VVV]
Members
339 posts
2,240 battles
4 hours ago, airkid1942 said:

IMG_2408.JPG

I remember that gun! The plaque told why the model of gun wasn't used often! It said it was something about maintainence problems, I think

Thanks for the pics @airkid1942! Again, I didn't take many pictures, except of the models in the museums (Which no doubt most people on these forums have seen the models before), so it's nice to share a bit of the Yorktown experience to these forums! I do hope you get to see the Laffey sometime. Her story is just awesome to hear.

[-WTP-]
Members
34 posts
6,356 battles
7 hours ago, AtlanticRim said:

I remember that gun! The plaque told why the model of gun wasn't used often! It said it was something about maintainence problems, I think

Thanks for the pics @airkid1942! Again, I didn't take many pictures, except of the models in the museums (Which no doubt most people on these forums have seen the models before), so it's nice to share a bit of the Yorktown experience to these forums! I do hope you get to see the Laffey sometime. Her story is just awesome to hear.

Yeah that is what I heard about the 1.1 in/75 cal AA guns too. I read somewhere that after firing a specific number of rounds, the guns would not feed properly and that in order to get the gun back functioning, one of the gun crewmembers would have to manually feed the rounds using a wrench to cycle the rounds which would require the sailor to go under the gun (which if this is occurring in a combat situation will definitely not be optimal not to mention a liability. I wish I remember the source but I can imagine that once the Bofors came to the fleet in large enough numbers, the crews were glad to replace them