33 comments in this topic

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles

She's currently on sale in the premium store, and I've been debating whether to get her. Yes, I've read LWM's review of her but I'd like more opinions. Is she good for her tier? My favorite Tier 7 BB, and the one I've done the best in has been the post-buff Colorado. How does Hood stack up?

I like something that's decently tanky with very good guns that are accurate and hit hard enough. I usually prefer to fight mid-range but love to brawl and I often get overly aggressive. Would the Hood offer me the combination of durability and good gunnery? I do OK in the Queen Elizabeth at Tier 6, was better but a combination of uptiering+steamrolls_mistakes brought the numbers down.

Should I give her a go, or a pass? I'm aware she doesn't get 2.0 sigma which is very unfortunate, but how do her guns perform?

On a side note if you check my WT page, I do significantly worse in the Warspite due to a bad start with her. I've clocked 64 battles in Warspite so far, the same as the QE. They're basically the same ship with a few differences, so..... I guess my Warspite's stats are hopeless. Tiers 5 and 6 are generally hard to play these days due to the matchmaking, and recently the meta has been a very strange mix of passiveness and steamrolls. I got Confederate in the QE today, 80k damage in a T8 match on Neighbours, but it was mostly a blowout loss for my team. No kills for me, unfortunately.

My Current QE Stats:

K/D 2.0

WR 53%

Average damage 55.3k

65 battles

Survival 51%

MBH ratio 28%

Ship kill 0.97

Plane kill 1.00

WTR 1,175

Rate my performance. Is it decent?

Edited by Zionas

[HINON]
Members
8,836 posts

Her guns are workable but not the best in her tier. You need to switch ammo often to make them effective. She is pretty tanky and the speed is nice if you need to reposition.  There are also lols when newbie cvs attack you while your rockets are intact.

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles

Which BB would you say has the best guns in Tier 7? And how do I make the most out of Hood's guns if there are only 8 shells and a substandard fire chance on the HE?

[ERN]
[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,101 posts
4,223 battles

buy it if you like to laugh at cv planes

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
7 minutes ago, Zionas said:

Which BB would you say has the best guns in Tier 7? And how do I make the most out of Hood's guns if there are only 8 shells and a substandard fire chance on the HE?

18 minutes ago, Zionas said:

She's currently on sale in the premium store, and I've been debating whether to get her. Yes, I've read LWM's review of her but I'd like more opinions. Is she good for her tier? My favorite Tier 7 BB, and the one I've done the best in has been the post-buff Colorado. How does Hood stack up?

I like something that's decently tanky with very good guns that are accurate and hit hard enough. I usually prefer to fight mid-range but love to brawl and I often get overly aggressive. Would the Hood offer me the combination of durability and good gunnery? I do OK in the Queen Elizabeth at Tier 6, was better but a combination of uptiering+steamrolls_mistakes brought the numbers down.

Should I give her a go, or a pass? I'm aware she doesn't get 2.0 sigma which is very unfortunate, but how do her guns perform?

On a side note if you check my WT page, I do significantly worse in the Warspite due to a bad start with her. I've clocked 64 battles in Warspite so far, the same as the QE. They're basically the same ship with a few differences, so..... I guess my Warspite's stats are hopeless. Tiers 5 and 6 are generally hard to play these days due to the matchmaking, and recently the meta has been a very strange mix of passiveness and steamrolls. I got Confederate in the QE today, 80k damage in a T8 match on Neighbours, but it was mostly a blowout loss for my team. No kills for me, unfortunately.

My Current QE Stats:

K/D 2.0

WR 53%

Average damage 55.3k

65 battles

Survival 51%

MBH ratio 28%

Ship kill 0.97

Plane kill 1.00

WTR 1,175

Hood is unique. She is super OP when facing cruisers and her AP is more lethal to cruisers. Unlike most RN BB's her AP is her strongest asset and it is noticeably more effective when fighting cruisers so she's a bit of a niche BB. This isn't to say she is powerless against BB's, jut relatively speaking she's built to sink cruisers. Her AA is also very OP more so than even DOY's is and this is a pretty good advantage.

Want to make it clear I think the ship is awesome but she is certainly a unique BB. 

Edited by Aristotle83

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,503 battles

I’ve got a number of premium ships and also contemplating getting the Hood for one reason only ... it’s Histoy.. there is one given, after all that’s been said about this ship , she is not OP and will be a challenge to do really good in especially in today’s MM

an unknown is what type of play does she suite and how obvious are the hidden secrets she hold .. if any ..what’s  the best way to play her .. I’ve been disappointed before but the History May make me take a chance on this one

[ARRGG]
Members
4,674 posts
7,503 battles
40 minutes ago, Zionas said:

My Current QE Stats:

K/D 2.0

WR 53%

Average damage 55.3k

65 battles

Survival 51%

MBH ratio 28%

Ship kill 0.97

Plane kill 1.00

WTR 1,175

It’s not bad for just 65 games in

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

Overall I dont regret buying her. The history alone makes it worth it. However, there are far better tier 7s out there, even premiums (If your a tech tree > premium believer). 

The gunnery is nice. Like almost any British Battleship, you can and should aptly switch ammo types. HE has awesome fire chance, and the AP is nice. Like Scharn, the smaller cal guns make will shred cruisers. Less overpens like you find with bigger guns. But, be aware I read that the shells usually do a funky cross pattern and I dismissed it, but in game it really bothers me at least. If you fire a perfect broadside salvo, your front 2 turrets shells usually land behind the back 2 turrets shells. They cross mid-air and its pretty annoying/trippy. hood is nothing like Colorado. Colorado is a hulking dreadnought with huge guns, and Hood is a smaller faster boat with smaller guns. 

I personally bought it for the aa gimmick and the history. Would not recommend buying if youre just after defensive aa. You know how rare Cvs are these days... It rarely comes in handy (but rock(et)s when it does get some usage). I would say buy it if you are a:

• Historical buff (of course one of the most famous ships ever)
  • Looking for a RN BB trainer or ship similar to the rest of the line
  • You are like me and am a sucker for battleships <3

Have not played the Nelson, but after even some slight reading, I am convinced I will like her more than the Hood :/

But it is THE HMS HOOD in the end

[ASHIP]
Members
582 posts
5,212 battles
56 minutes ago, Zionas said:

I like something that's decently tanky

Hood had good tankiness when it came out, but newer RN BBs (especially the Nelson) completely outclass it.

with very good guns 

Then you should get anything except the Hood.

accurate

Hood won't give you this.

and hit hard enough.

Hood certainly won't give you this.

I like something that's decently tanky with very good guns that are accurate and hit hard enough. I usually prefer to fight mid-range but love to brawl and I often get overly aggressive.

Then the Hood isn't for you.

Would the Hood offer me the combination of durability and good gunnery?

Nope. The Hood offers you gimmick-AA and speed at the expense of maneuverability and firepower.

I'm aware she doesn't get 2.0 sigma which is very unfortunate, but how do her guns perform?

Terribly. She lacks accuracy, has few guns, has slow reload, and her shells are meh. She has some modifications which allow her to better blap cruisers, but all BBs can blap cruisers and you won't notice the difference.

My favorite Tier 7 BB, and the one I've done the best in has been the post-buff Colorado. .... I usually prefer to fight mid-range but love to brawl and I often get overly aggressive. ...I do OK in the Queen Elizabeth at Tier 6, was better but a combination of uptiering+steamrolls_mistakes brought the numbers down.

All the BBs you describe are slow moving, frontal-assault BBs that do well in smaller maps and prefer to stick together. That's pretty much the opposite of how the Hood plays. The Hood is fast and likes to avoid fights with other BBs. She is a flanking BB; preferring large maps where she can swing out wide and catch peoples' broadsides. She lacks firepower and turns badly, making her a distinctly underwhelming brawler.

My Current QE Stats:

K/D 2.0

WR 53%

Average damage 55.3k

65 battles

Survival 51%

MBH ratio 28%

Ship kill 0.97

Plane kill 1.00

WTR 1,175

Your stats are quite decent. Actually, imo given your high survival rate and slightly low MBH ratio it actually looks to me like you're being a bit too cautious. Or at least that you tend to play BBs at longer ranges than you perhaps should. I always like to say that any hp point more than 1 that you have left at the end of a match is a hp point that you've wasted.

Edited by senseNOTmade

[CUTER]
Members
676 posts
18,539 battles

Hood  is not OP.  Unlike Colorado, she is fast, but she is big and her armor is typical British and eats pens.  That said, you have a very large health pool and sustain A LOT of punishment.  

Her guns, well you got eight 14 inch barrels.  They punch well on cruisers, but often bounce on well angled BBs.  Furthermore, eight shells leads to less dev strikes.  You have to use her to wrack up damage over time.  Sustaining your own health pool while you whittle down your enemies.  It gets similar results to other BBs...but the guns aren't going to always do it in one salvo like a lot of players prefer to see.

Edited by Kongo_Pride

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles
2 minutes ago, senseNOTmade said:

Hood had good tankiness when it came out, but newer RN BBs (especially the Nelson) completely outclass it.

Then you should get anything except the Hood.

Hood won't give you this.

Hood certainly won't give you this.

Then the Hood isn't for you.

Nope. The Hood offers you gimmick-AA and speed at the expense of maneuverability and firepower.

Terribly. She lacks accuracy, has few guns, has slow reload, and her shells are meh. She has some modifications which allow her to better citadel cruisers, but all BBs can citadel cruisers and you won't notice the difference.

All the BBs you describe are slow moving, frontal-assault BBs that do well in smaller maps and prefer to stick together. That's pretty much the opposite of how the Hood plays. The Hood is fast and likes to avoid fights with other BBs. She is a flanking BB; preferring large maps where she can swing out wide and catch peoples' broadsides. She lacks firepower and turns badly, making her a distinctly underwhelming brawler.

Your stats are quite decent. Actually, imo given your high survival rate and slightly low MBH ratio it actually looks to me like you're being a bit too cautious. Or at least that you tend to play BBs at longer ranges than you perhaps should.

Blatantly honest way to say that if your about the gunnery, hood may not be for you

[WOLF9]
Members
3,145 posts
57 minutes ago, Zionas said:

My Current QE Stats:

K/D 2.0

WR 53%

Average damage 55.3k

65 battles

Survival 51%

MBH ratio 28%

Ship kill 0.97

Plane kill 1.00

WTR 1,175

One thing you NEED to learn to wrap your head around with the Hood as a Colorado guy (me too!):  Hood is MASSIVE!  Like Iowa massive- and it handles like it.   You just can't dodge or turn like you can in a Colorado- you will eat the torps or ram the island every-stinking-time.

Make that adjustment, and it's actually decently fun to play.   It pre-dates WG's decision to make HE the British BB "thing",  so it has fairly good AP.   Long ranged and accurate.  Also decently tanky for a battlecruiser.   Just-for the love of 15" guns- stay the hell away from the torpedo chuckers.  If they get close, you won't be dodging anything...

I consider mine to be worth the money I spent for it, and have played a bunch of matches in it.   It's almost the polar opposite of the other tier 7 RN BB:  Duke of York.   Dork (for short, lol) likes to get close and smash cruisers with extreme prejudice, while setting everything else on fire.   Hood is more of a stand off bruiser.  You really do not want to get into fistfight range of a real BB with it- you'll eat pen damage for days, far more than he will.

[AAA]
Members
395 posts
5,167 battles

Hood is exactly what it was in life. A battle cruiser. Mid range her guns are acurate and Hood will shred cl/a. Speed is awesome. If you want to flank and hit and run on bbs and hammer cruisers, Hood is a good ship. Not a brawler like sharny. 

[DRACS]
Members
3,350 posts

My commentary on the Hood is in the other very recent Hood thread in this very section of the forum.

It's as if people don't bother reading other very noticeable threads before starting yet another one about the same ship right away.

Members
1,509 posts
7,947 battles

Hey 

There are a lot of naysayers but how many of them actually play the Hood anymore; it's a good boat with ok guns; especially if your used to German dispersion like me, then the Hood's guns are very usable.  She has great speed, large turning circle but it's a very workable ship, the AA is strong, armor is decent for the tier.  I personally like the ship.  In a similar way; many complained about the Graf Spee or the Gascogne but both of those work for me just fine.  Buy if for no other reason that the History and the beauty of the ship.

Pete 

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,602 posts
14,017 battles

You get Hood if you want an RN BB that is:

Fast.

Survivable.

Good point blank, short range air defense (tied to the game unique Defensive Fire buffing only its' surface-to-air rockets).

Traditional Battleship shells.

Collecting - It *IS* the HMS Hood, after all.

I'm not fond of Hood's gunnery.  They're okay.  They are like Warspite's guns in performance.  But it bothers me you are relying on Tier VI BB guns on a Tier VII BB.  Haven't touched my Hood in ages.  Main Battery dispersion is the reason why.  It felt like "German Battleship with broken Zeiss Optics" bad, and you don't have good secondaries in compensation.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
377 posts

The Hood was a new battle cruiser sold to the public as the latest and greatest, the marketing of this ship by the government was exemplary. In the eyes of the British citizen, it was the wonder ship. In actuality it was outclassed fairly quickly, it was also a liability,  it’s design with main guns positioned at the far ends of a long hull, the huge boat deck was a huge target, under that boat deck the main structural beams were straining so much, because of the weight at both ends, that while under construction they had to design interlocking armor to aid in rigidity. The buckling of the mid-section especially in combat was an ongoing concern with the Admiralty. This was an inferior ship that public hype made it seem superior. 

Edited by Dreddnort

Members
2,120 posts
4,735 battles

She could really use a sigma buff to 2.0, I'd rather tone down that gimmick AA because it's not like CVs are that common. IMO no gimmick can make up for poor gunnery. Today I hit a stationary, broadside Koenig with 6124 HP at 11.5km. I only did 2280 damage and dispersion wasn't that bad. She needs penetration and sigma buff to make her truly viable. She is also not that good of a frontline fighter unless team mates support you fully. I just had a match where I was pushing more than the Bismarck and Tirpitz on my team, who were sniping but did the 'almost lost, now let's charge in with full HP' tactic. Weekends, oh well.

[--1--]
Members
154 posts
2,482 battles

She is totally worth it, she's fast, has amazing armour, her citadel is almost completely submerged, her guns are powerful, her AA is legendary, only downfall for me is her guns are soooooo Inaccurate. I've played Hood ALOT and she does take some time to get used to but once you do he's amazing

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,380 posts
10,163 battles

I love it. No need to say more. It has it's quirks but learn to play the ship and it is a blast.

I laughed at the poster above who says the Nelson is tankier. ROFLMFAO! Any BB can bow tank and survive a long time. Give me Hood any day over Nelson if the enemy has as shot at my side. Not only that Hood can actually disengage and get out of trouble because it is faster than a slug unlike Nelson.

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,345 battles

The Hood is quite nice as a ship I can also put a cruiser captain in.  There is overlap with the skills, if you choose AFT to enhance AA range on Minotaur or whatever.  I think it is a fine Battleship for Tier VII which plays a little more like a higher tier BB rather than the slower mid-tier ships with a buttload of guns but slow speed.

[ANKER]
Members
229 posts
3,542 battles
On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 10:50 AM, AdmiralThunder said:

I love it. No need to say more. It has it's quirks but learn to play the ship and it is a blast.

I laughed at the poster above who says the Nelson is tankier. ROFLMFAO! Any BB can bow tank and survive a long time. Give me Hood any day over Nelson if the enemy has as shot at my side. Not only that Hood can actually disengage and get out of trouble because it is faster than a slug unlike Nelson.

Nelson is tankier though....she has stronger turret faces, and the super heal. When bow on, Nelson is definitely more survivable. On fire, Nelson is more survivable. In terms of firepower, Nelson blows Hood out of the water. Not only does she have 16" guns vs 15" , they far more accurate and the range is only 400m shorter. They're also 9 guns vs 6 guns, and all of the turrets are upfront and useable with some angle. Hood is also 16.2km detect according to wiki, but Nelson is 15.3km, letting Nelson be able to disengage by concealement during long range engagements. 

Key point, the enemy shouldn't have clear shots at your side. Nelson also moves at 24 knots, similar to Nagato. Colorado is still moving at 20~ knots. 

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:27 PM, _1204_ said:

But, be aware I read that the shells usually do a funky cross pattern and I dismissed it, but in game it really bothers me at least. If you fire a perfect broadside salvo, your front 2 turrets shells usually land behind the back 2 turrets shells. They cross mid-air and its pretty annoying/trippy. hood is nothing like Colorado. Colorado is a hulking dreadnought with huge guns, and Hood is a smaller faster boat with smaller guns. 

Speculation, I'm lead to believe that funky 'cross pattern' is due to the incredible distance between the front and rear turrets. It forces the back turret to aim at comparatively high angles, resulting in the shells flying in strange areas. This is an issue tacked on to the weaker dispersion already.
It's an impressive ship, but really is poorly designed with wasted tonnage. Good for HP, but leaves a lot of empty space.