You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AwesomeShite_Gaming

Do you receive more XP as you upgrade to the next tier?

7 comments in this topic

Members
17 posts
1,009 battles

So after grinding the Wyoming all day just to get the New York, I look down the Battleship branch of the USN tech tree, and I notice that as you get to the next tier, the next tier unlock requirement is double for the  xp requirement than the previous tier unlock. So I was wondering, you upgrade to the next tier, does the next tier receive more xp? I realize that how much xp depends on how you do in the game. But let's just say you sunk 2 ships, assisted in a capture and hit 3 citadels as a New York and as a New Mexico, would you receive more xp as a New Mexico over a New York for doing the same thing, but as a higher tier?

Beta Testers
2,029 posts

Generally speaking higher tiers get a bit more XP.  However, not in the way you're thinking. Tier to tier it's not a big difference. The grind from tier to tier gets longer as you progress. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,719 posts
11,332 battles

Yea, kinda.

So, in higher tiers, the enemies have more HP, so there is more potential damage to earn which gives more XP. So yea, higher tiers have the potential to earn more XP, but not more xp for an equal action.

Also, you get more XP for punching up. So a t5 gets more xp for damage against a t7 than against another t5. Plus, xp earned for damage to a DD > than damage to a CA  > than damage to a BB (not 100% sure where CVs are in this)

• Cool 1

[STURM]
Members
271 posts
2,767 battles
13 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Plus, xp earned for damage to a DD > than damage to a CA  > than damage to a BB (not 100% sure where CVs are in this)

Actually, while this is true, the way it works is that you get xp based on the percentage of max hp damage you do to a ship. So even among DDs, dealing one thousand damage to an Aigle is worth less than the same amount of damage to, say, a Farragut. So, for CVs, for example a Ranger with 44,900 HP will give you more experience per point of damage than a Colorado with 59,300, but less than a Pensacola with 34,300 HP.  

Edited by Baskerville77
missed a word

Members
17 posts
1,009 battles

So if a higher tier generally gets more xp (not a significant amount) for landing more hits on ships because he's playing with higher tier ships with the amount of health being higher than lower tiers, thus having to land more shots which brings you the xp. I understand! Thank you guys!

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,627 posts
14,017 battles

On paper, you can earn a lot in high tier matches due to the large HP pools and ability to do considerable damage, even at range.  In reality, you can get snuffed out so quickly in high tier that you're looking at massive credit loss on top of not earning much XP.  That is also IMO, why people are so scared of being aggressive in high tier matches.

BB, DD, Cruiser, even a CV can get snuffed out very quickly if they make a mistake.

On 4/6/2018 at 6:18 PM, AspiringCodger said:

I found a decent example from an average player of how the grind gets longer as you progress.

Screenshot_20180406-191635_Chrome.jpg

Tier VIII is where the grind starts being noticeable.  My first Tier VII was Colorado.  Getting to VIII North Carolina felt like it took ages and when I finally did get her, looked at the requirements to reach Tier IX, well... Those XPs aren't going to grind themselves, aren't they? :Smile_teethhappy:

The fun part is some of the lines make that high tier grind bearable with decent to great ships.

USN BBs suck but once you ding Tier VIII, the game rewards your self punishment by giving you some good ships.

IJN BBs were an absolute blast going into Tier VIII Awesome Amagi, but then you got to do the immense grind in IX Izumo if you want Yamato.  IX is considered a low point in this line.

German BBs are a cakewalk the same way IJN BBs are, then you run into the wall at IX FDG.  Then again, you got GK waiting for you at Tier X.  What a tease.

RN BBs I thought for most part were pretty mediocre in between VII KGV and X Conqueror.  VIII Monarch was DULL and IX Lion, I felt the gunnery was unreliable.

French BBs from Tier VII on are just a blast, IMO.  FFS, you got Alsace at Tier IX!

Alsace is too beaucoup!

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway