You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

My worst ever Belfast - you see this ever?

14 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,269 posts

Took my Belfast to battle - you know, Payfast, most OP ship in the game, blah blah...

FIFTY SEVEN HITS total for 7,630 damage points total, or 133.8 avg per hit. WHAT?!
TWO FIRES produced 1,485 of those points... FOUR secondary hits, ZERO points. 
FIFTY SEVEN out of 261 fired! Lousy 21% hit rate. Oh it gets better...

Targets hit:
34 hits against a Tirptiz for 5,643 dmg, of which 1 produced a fire for 1485. 
1 hit against an Algiere, 693 points
2  hit against clan Gneisenau for 693 points. 
20 hits against a Tirpitz for 601 points or roughly THIRTY POINTS A HIT.

These point values with the Belfast's HE, using Jack Dunkirk for gosh sakes. He's only approaching 12 points so of course he doesn't have DE. 

So as mister joe average here... those seem a bit low by about anyone's standards. Am I wrong in thinking Belfast HE usually pays a bit more per round? 

tiafyc fellow Belfasters :cap_like:

Members
3,554 posts
6,867 battles

yeah.

Belfast is a rapier. I need ot be really up on my game with battles before I dial her in.

She is a rapier and if you miss you get a broadsword and it's off with yer head.

[HINON]
Members
8,870 posts

You need ifhe to really shine. Belfast is a ship that needs a skilled commander to truly unlock the op status. She is strong with a 0 point captain but when you add in ce de si and ifhe it rocks. 

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,269 posts

Nope - my commander is Junk Dankirk... sorry, Jack Dunkirk. PT, EM, Super, CE an since he's only at 12 pts, I put on one modules. 

My only 19pt cmdr in the RN line is riding in my Minotaur. He worked his way there so I let him stay. :cap_hmm:

Members
105 posts
4,325 battles

That is low hp damage alright. Typically I'm up in the 400 to 500 average range whether AP or HE. Before I got IFHE I would say about half that damage came from fires especially on BBs but post IFHE my HE damage took a hit. Yes IFHE is supposed to give you more damage and penetration but against BBs losing fire damage really hurt. Conversely it seemed to help a lot against CAs and DDs. The Belfast is an excellent DD hunter and many of my kills come from popping radar after being detected

Damage now seems to be back up from fires now that I got DE back with my 19pt captain. In the future I might do away with IFHE and just go all fire crazy. See what happens. Not completely sold on IFHE

[R-R-R]
Members
974 posts
6,429 battles

Also, most of your shells are hitting Tirpitz, a ship with 50mm deck armor and overall great HE protection.

You won't do much damage to her without fires.

Members
842 posts

It's even worse than that, for Belfast HE vs Tirptiz.  Belfast can't pen even 25mm armor without IFHE.  So literally the only part of a Tirptiz that a Belfast's HE can hurt is the superstructure.  This is true for all T8+ battleships.

Frankly, if you're shooting at a T8+ BB, you're better off switching to AP, which can occasionally pen 32mm of armor, which is the bow/stern armor of these beasts.  Or adjust your aim with the HE so you're exclusively targeting the superstructure.

IFHE for 150-155mm guns is a no-brainer, as it allows you to pen 25mm-32mm of armor, which covers the vast majority of ships T8+.  Cruisers T7 and below ships still have a lot of sub-25mm armor. But even T7 and T6 BBs are covered in at least 25mm armor.

For the Belfast's 152mm, it really can only pen DDs and T7 and below cruiser armor, plus any CA/BB superstructures. Put on IFHE, and it can pen most parts of T8+ cruisers, plus the bow/stern of any T8+ BB, and most parts of T7 and below BBs.  You should see a massive increase in damage caused when you play, far in excess of any loss of fire chance, as the standard 152mm are simply mostly ineffective against T8+ CAs and most BBs.  

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
4,338 posts
9,312 battles

I have seen Belfasts in games that have either been quite unimpressive, or they carried the game.  There is a bit of technique required to maximize Belfast's strengths.  When I first got her I hadn't figured her out, yet.  My first several games I typically got sunk early, and I was thinking, "why does everyone rave about this ship being OP?!?".

A little fine-tuning to my play style with her, though, and I totally get it.  She is a monster...but she has to be played properly. 

I push up to support DD's that are attempting to cap.  My radar and guns can shred any DD and most cruisers they might encounter, and I can hide behind an island or in smoke.  If parking in smoke you have to be wary of enemy torps, so don't sit broadside and take advantage of your hydro.  Also, always pre-plan an escape route and watch your smoke timer.  If you are spotted, you are slow to start moving and you are very fragile.  If you are hit with radar or your smoke runs out, you need to have a place to run to for cover.  IFHE is a huge asset, and arguably the most important 4 pt skill for a Belfast captain.  It magnifies your damage potential so much, I would seriously consider it before Concealment Expert.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,269 posts
47 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

If you are spotted, you are slow to start moving and you are very fragile.

I'm not exactly sure why Belfast is so far away from ship standards regarding starting and stopping. It's really bad. 

I adjusted my commander's skills, have him at 13pts now... he's doing a bit better.  Tips and advise in the thread much appreciated. I do so enjoy the Belfast tho... a fine cruiser.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,493 posts
10,211 battles

I can't make the ship work to save my life (literally LOL).  Got Belfast the same time I got Kutuzov. I kick butt in Kutuzov and get my butt kicked in Belfast. Funny really as I generally suck at Russian Cruisers and I do well and love British Cruisers. Total role reversal with the OP Premiums. :Smile_amazed::Smile_teethhappy:

Don't have a dedicated Capt for it though and just throw a BRN CL Capt in it. Might be worth using 1 of the like 20 Capt's I have from Santa crates in the reserves, use some of my elite Capt XP to add a point, and get IFHE and see how it goes.

Give me Fiji any day at this point.

[S_B]
Members
415 posts
10,532 battles
On 4/6/2018 at 7:31 PM, Herr_Reitz said:

Took my Belfast to battle - you know, Payfast, most OP ship in the game, blah blah...

FIFTY SEVEN HITS total for 7,630 damage points total, or 133.8 avg per hit. WHAT?!
TWO FIRES produced 1,485 of those points... FOUR secondary hits, ZERO points. 
FIFTY SEVEN out of 261 fired! Lousy 21% hit rate. Oh it gets better...

Targets hit:
34 hits against a Tirptiz for 5,643 dmg, of which 1 produced a fire for 1485. 
1 hit against an Algiere, 693 points
2  hit against clan Gneisenau for 693 points. 
20 hits against a Tirpitz for 601 points or roughly THIRTY POINTS A HIT.

These point values with the Belfast's HE, using Jack Dunkirk for gosh sakes. He's only approaching 12 points so of course he doesn't have DE. 

So as mister joe average here... those seem a bit low by about anyone's standards. Am I wrong in thinking Belfast HE usually pays a bit more per round? 

tiafyc fellow Belfasters :cap_like:

IFHE captain skill makes a HUGE difference in the HE damage numbers. I posted my first and second battle results on an earlier Belfast posting about what a difference the IFHE makes against all ships. Get it and you'll love it!

Edited by dust340man

Members
20 posts

I have Capt Jack at 19 pts in my Belfast.Lots of fun. My style is to first support DDs capping using radar. Then I fall back to smoke for BBs and set enemy BBs on fire. I try to save one radar for any DDs that sneak behind our lines. Stopped using IFHE because of lowered fires on BBs. I don't care that much about total damage scores -prefer to support team. My max damage in Belfast is only 105K.