You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
iDuckman

R.I.P. Isao Takahata

6 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
Members
5,979 posts
2,203 battles

Isao Takahata, who founded Japan's film and animation house Studio Ghibli alongside Hayao Miyazaki, has died at age 82, of lung cancer.

From NPR:

"Originally, the elder Takahata had taken on world-renowned Miyazaki as an apprentice. His first film directed there, the heart-wrenching Grave of the Fireflies (1988), won the company a great deal of fame. He went on to direct four more Ghibli films.

Isao Takahata's other major Studio Ghibli films were Only Yesterday (1991), Pom Poko (1994), the comedy My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999), and The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013), which was nominated for an Academy Award.  He also participated as a writer or producer in most other Studio releases.

Something I didn't know: The first release of Studio Ghibli was a double release - Grave of the Fireflies, and My Neighbor Totoro on the same bill.  Wow!

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
4,738 posts
2,411 battles

Well that sucks. Always sad to lose a visionary of their field.

Members
3,554 posts
6,867 battles

Zen saying:

"If you think you understand... all is as it should be.

If you think you don't understand... all is as it should be."

Blessings Isao Takahata.

1,542 posts
26 battles

So sad. I love those movies, they brought me and many of my closest friends together. Grave of the Fireflies made still be one of the saddest movies I have ever seen. Such a beautiful soul. Hope he finds peace

1,266 posts
13 battles

So sorry to hear this. May he rest in peace. I absolutely loved all of the Studio Ghibli movies. I think my favorite one would have to be Howl's Moving Castle, with My Neighbor Totoro or Spirited Away coming in 2nd place. I could ever only watch Grave of the Fireflies once, since it's so incredibly sad.