Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NeutralState

WG Can Do Better At Teaching New Players Game Mechanics

24 comments in this topic

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,050 battles

Was playing Texas for Twitch missions, one salvoed a T4 cruiser. The cruiser player thought he was detonated with detonation flag on.

https://clips.twitch.tv/FairBreakableKoalaGivePLZ

It takes few dozen games to get to Tier 4 and the player has no idea how the game works. WG needs a comprehensive first time NONE SKIPPABLE tutorial for new players. Make it so that the tutorial must be completed before joining Random Battle.

This is not just to reduce the number of clueless players. But WG should feel morally obliged to do it, because there are new players who pays to buy camos and flags and yet are missing vital information on how the game works due to WG not providing them in game. A product should come with an instruction manual. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,872 posts
10,416 battles

YouTube is hard 

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
3 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

Was playing Texas for Twitch missions, one salvoed a T4 cruiser. The cruiser player thought he was detonated with detonation flag on.

It takes few dozen games to get to Tier 4 and the player has no idea how the game works. WG needs a comprehensive first time NONE SKIPPABLE tutorial for new players. Make it so that the tutorial must be completed before joining Random Battle.

This is not just to reduce the number of clueless players. But WG should feel morally obliged to do it, because there are new players who pays to buy camos and flags and yet are missing vital information on how the game works due to WG not providing them in game. A product should come with an instruction manual. 

So point them to the wiki.  WoWS is easy to learn, but takes time to master.  All the game mechanics are there in the wiki, but, it takes some time playing to be able to actually understand it.  

• Cool 1

[CUTER]
Members
676 posts
18,567 battles

Perhaps an ingame main screen drop down menu with links to the wiki and key CCs and related tutorial content?

• Cool 1

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,050 battles
6 minutes ago, Kongo_Pride said:

Perhaps an ingame main screen drop down menu with links to the wiki and key CCs and related tutorial content?

WoT has a tutorial, showing bounces, penetrations etc.

WoWS can easily have a tutorial where the game shows how damage can be done to targets. For example, shoot a ship bow on, bounces; shoot a ship broadside with AP, citadels; and shoot a ship with HE, fires. 5 min tutorial. Something visual is much better than a wall of text on an external website. The tutorial can even starts with teaching player camo. For example, mark a way point, when player moves towards it a red ship is spotted, and the tutorial tells you camo ranges.

WG transferred so little quality of life things from WoT to WoWS. it's like the two department never talk to each other or play the each other's products.

Edited by NeutralState
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
4,530 posts
11,433 battles

All this "teaching" talk needs to stop.

This game isn't rocket science.  Fundamentally, this game is (or, should be) very simple to figure out.  There's more than enough going on in the game that an average person can't pick up intuitively in the first few hundred matches played.  Then add the forums, the wiki, then the player's own experience over time, and there's no reason why everyone shouldn't do well after so many matches played.

The problem is that, unfortunately, many feel they have nothing to learn, or simply don't care to learn.  Especially regarding the former, they will always see any ill results as the other guy's fault, no matter what happened or why.  In either case, all the teaching in the world won't help at all.  They would just go through the motions to get through any compulsory tutorial as quickly as possible.

Anyone who actually cares about getting better and want to learn more will already know how to do that.  They will visit the forums, read the wiki, and make a conscious effort to be objectively self-analytical.  The rest, well, just leave them be.  It's frankly not worth the effort and frustration.  Just use them as the fodder and meat shields that they are.

TL:DR = There is no fixing stupid/deluded/lazy.

• Cool 3

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

You can't easily change the mind of someone who won't accept what you are talking about. That is life.

Members
4,452 posts
6,164 battles

Well WG wants players to join cause it's about $ for them and I understand that totally.  Issue may be that mandatory tutorial might/could/would be seen as a hassle for a new player so they might say to hell with it and not join. There are people like that.  "Mandatory tutorial? I aint taking no stinking mandatory tutorial just to get on a free to play game!"  Maybe WG wants no barriers to playing right off the get go. Could be. They don't care if a player has any skill.  Maybe. Hell seems plausible. Ya think? :Smile_sad:

[PS1HQ]
Members
621 posts

you'd think well educated players would be beneficial to keeping them around rather than having them quit over things like this, but WG doesn't see it that way I guess.  

Members
4,452 posts
6,164 battles
8 minutes ago, OstwindFlakpanzer said:

you'd think well educated players would be beneficial to keeping them around rather than having them quit over things like this, but WG doesn't see it that way I guess.  

I dunno.  I was just speculating.

Members
9,864 posts
48 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

"You can lead a player to the mechanics, but you can't make him think." ....:Smile_teethhappy:

Why do people continue to believe that WG, or anyone can change who the player base is?

• Cool 2

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
287 posts
9,608 battles

Maybe just have new players start out in co-op mode until they play a certain number of games in the first few tiers. Say, fifty games or they advance to tier 4 then let them play in randoms. Tutorials are fine and all but most people that are interested in a game will go to you tube first anyway to see what the game is about. After a long download and install they want to shoot something, not read informational screens and whatnot. They'll just click through the tutorial regardless. 

[POP]
Members
1,224 posts
8,046 battles

I've been playing since before the Bly came out (I don't recall when that was, but it was my first Premium and thus my yardstick). 

Literally 3 days ago I learned you can buy consumables for silver instead of Dubloons. That's not something you find out easily. 

Last year sometime, @Pigeon_of_War was soliciting ideas for tutorials and stuff. I wonder if anything came of it. 

[SF-3]
Members
1,442 posts
7,912 battles

I think more tutorial and linking to videos / wiki from in the game would also help. Maybe having a room specifically to pair new players and older players willing to teach. Also, fixing the [edited]MM, the protected MM just screws over more people than it helps. Nothing like going from T4 easy street to T5 and getting thrown to the wolves, and again at T6.

[IRISH]
Members
347 posts
7,092 battles

Agreed...it can take quite some time to learn all the little tips and tricks.

For example, I didnt know about leveling up commanders till about 3 months into the game....theres already a ton to learn..but yeah the Utubes basically have it down.

Now WG could introduce more videos on play mechanics, I would agree with that. But to force anyone to complete tutorials..YAWNZIEES..and snoozers...

[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,881 battles

The videos in the Service Record shows the bare minimum of what the game does and what you get with each level. Not many players know about it. I will attempt to lead newbies in In-Game Chat to the Service Record but most of the time they would rather argue about me not telling them what to do because I tell them to go to the service record. As said before, you can't easily change the mind of someone who won't accept what you are talking about. 

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,303 battles
On 4/6/2018 at 12:54 PM, dmckay said:

Well WG wants players to join cause it's about $ for them and I understand that totally.  Issue may be that mandatory tutorial might/could/would be seen as a hassle for a new player so they might say to hell with it and not join. There are people like that.  "Mandatory tutorial? I aint taking no stinking mandatory tutorial just to get on a free to play game!"  Maybe WG wants no barriers to playing right off the get go. Could be. They don't care if a player has any skill.  Maybe. Hell seems plausible. Ya think? :Smile_sad:

Optional tutorial, then - one you can come back to after you overconfidently advance to tier 4 and get deleted a couple of times.

We should consider the opposite as well - there are players who will want to know what they are doing before they embark on the game.  The "I'll read my refrigerator manual before I plug in my refrigerator" types.  So a tutorial that was present but not burdensome could also add players to the game, and by extension revenue to WG.

True story: there was a segment on NPR this morning about Fortnite (which I had never heard of), and how some people not only like to play but also--and this the announcer said with a note of incredulity--like to watch other people playing.  Point is, I don't know that I would assume, especially given WOWS's legendary older-than-average appeal, that everyone playing the game will necessarily find their way to YouTube, because not everyone knows that watching people game is A Thing.

Will this improve the overall quality of play?  At high tiers, probably not, but maybe at tier 3 - and a player happy early on in the game might just keep playing.

Members
4,452 posts
6,164 battles
33 minutes ago, Lillehuntrix said:

Optional tutorial, then - one you can come back to after you overconfidently advance to tier 4 and get deleted a couple of times.

We should consider the opposite as well - there are players who will want to know what they are doing before they embark on the game.  The "I'll read my refrigerator manual before I plug in my refrigerator" types.  So a tutorial that was present but not burdensome could also add players to the game, and by extension revenue to WG.

True story: there was a segment on NPR this morning about Fortnite (which I had never heard of), and how some people not only like to play but also--and this the announcer said with a note of incredulity--like to watch other people playing.  Point is, I don't know that I would assume, especially given WOWS's legendary older-than-average appeal, that everyone playing the game will necessarily find their way to YouTube, because not everyone knows that watching people game is A Thing.

Will this improve the overall quality of play?  At high tiers, probably not, but maybe at tier 3 - and a player happy early on in the game might just keep playing.

Good post. You know to my why of thinking co-op is a kinda tutorial. Sure, it's nothing like random as per difficulty but at least gives players a feel for the game and winning or losing is no real big deal....at least for me. 

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
On 4/6/2018 at 12:24 PM, NeutralState said:

You can lead a Horse to Water yatta yatta

This is WoWs.

We read the wiki ,we read the forums.

This is our choice.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,140 posts
8,303 battles
1 minute ago, dmckay said:

Good post. You know to my why of thinking co-op is a kinda tutorial. Sure, it's nothing like random as per difficulty but at least gives players a feel for the game and winning or losing is no real big deal....at least for me. 

I agree completely--I always try out new ships, and usually retrain captains, in coop, and would be personally happy if that were required of even experienced players (maybe coupled with a personal mission to give some sort of break on the credit costs that can occur at high tiers) before taking a ship into randoms.  Some time in coop is already built into the system of player levels, but maybe it goes by too quickly.

Members
4,452 posts
6,164 battles
15 minutes ago, Lillehuntrix said:

I agree completely--I always try out new ships, and usually retrain captains, in coop, and would be personally happy if that were required of even experienced players (maybe coupled with a personal mission to give some sort of break on the credit costs that can occur at high tiers) before taking a ship into randoms.  Some time in coop is already built into the system of player levels, but maybe it goes by too quickly.

I hate to think of a noob player going into random battle in his first DD for the first time without at least trying it out first in co-op for several matches and learning the basics of how to torp and hit. Just watching a vid is not the same. It's much easier to torp in co-op but at least a player can learn the basics.....like how to make em go...heh. :Smile_teethhappy:

Supertester
3,004 posts
10,057 battles
On 4/6/2018 at 10:35 AM, Kongo_Pride said:

Well, unless you "Alt-Tab" or "Cntl-Esc" out of the game and exit that way, you will see at the bottom of the Menu upon hitting it, that their is indeed a series of actual "Training Video's" that they put together. It's nothing fancy, but it does cover the basics of the game. After all, you can't expect them to tell people when to have 2 turrets facing one way and the other 2 facing the other and trying to micro manage tanking 2 flanks of an islands while defending a cap. That's not considered "basics" of the game right?

With regards to the OP though, new people and even some of the players of old, get confused by "Detonated" and "Devastating Strike". It happens... Heck, all the way back in Sept. 2016 Sub_Octavian went over, in detail about this and the JC flag.

SubOct's Post "Old Dev Q and A"

However, forcing people or requiring them to jump through a set of hoops and gates to just get to the beginning stages is frustrating. It's frustrating to anyone. You met one guy that didn't know and who was upset about getting annihilated with a one shot, I didn't watch the video, just going off the post. But imagine if at every Tier you gain or even Ship you buy that opens up a new mechanic or consumable you would have to under go "mandatory training".. It would look something like this:

Starting at Tier 5 American BB for instance (real rudimentary breakdown and only going off of top hulls): I'll bold the reasons why training theoretically would be needed as situations may warrant different experience.

Tier 5 New York: HE/AP 5 turret main battery (max range 18km)  -- max speed 21 knots -- 4 slots, 2 consumables (damage control party, repair party)

Tier 6 New Mexico: HE/AP 4 turrets main battery (max range  16km) - max speed 21 knots -- 4 slots, 3 consumables (damage control party, repair party, spotting plane) **training needed** cannot play in random battles until mandatory training is completed.

Tier 7 Colorado: HE/AP 4 turrets main battery (max range 18.8km) -- max speed 21 knots -- 4 slots, 3 consumables (damage control party, repair party, -- choice of spotting plane or catapult fighter) **training needed** cannot play in random battles until mandatory training is completed.

Tier 8 North Carolina: HE/AP 3 turrets main battery (max range 23.26km) -- max speed 27.5 knots 760m turning radius  -- 5 slots, 3 consumables (damage control party, repair party, - choice of spotting plane or catapult fighter) **training needed** cannot play in random battles until mandatory training is completed.

Tier 9 Iowa: HE/AP 3 turret main battery (max range 23.35km) -- max speed 33 knots 920m turning radius -- 6 slots, 3 consumables (damage control part, repair party, - choice of spotting plane or catapult fighter) **training needed** cannot play in random battles until mandatory training is completed.

Tier 10 Montana: HE/AP 4 turrets main battery (max range 23.65km) -- max speed 30 knots 950m turning radius -- 6 slots, 3 consumables (damage control party, -choice of spotting plane or catapult fighter) **training needed** cannot play in random battles until mandatory training is completed.

Now I chose a line that is pretty easy, was one of the first ones to be released (the other being the IJN) and has remained fairly untouched. It is also really bland with regards to flavor outside of being able to angle damage and dish damage. With that said though, even with my very rudimentary breakdown of the stats between the tiers (lord knows I could have gotten into secondary battery firing range, rudder shift times - translates into handling, which ships are better AA suited, etc.), but I chose to keep it simple.

I hope I made the point though because Cruisers, Destroyers and good lord, CV's are complicated. No one would ever level. lol

Sign in to follow this