Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Twenty8kills_NA

Germans vs French BBs. What are their differences in combat?

8 comments in this topic

Members
6 posts
16 battles

The new French line of BBs, atleast from what I've heard, are pretty good at mid to close ranges due to a large number of guns and secondaries. I just wanted to know how they compare to the original brawlers, the germans. What advantage does it have? Where does it lack?

[-K-]
Supertester
3,086 posts
6,828 battles

They are similar, except the French are generally a little faster.  Germans have significantly better armor and when angled are super incredibly hard to damage.  French battleships are plated in levels of armor that don't allow them to troll you like the Germans do. French BB's are much more susceptible to HE spam, especialyl of the IFHE variety. I have found the French guns to be more reliable and consistent.  German secondaries are much more useful since they actually inflict damage and start fires.  French secondaries are fire starters.  They do little damage on their own.

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
220 posts

Could be a lot of lucky rolls but I found French BBs, at high tier are better than German BBs for those large amount of Cruiser citadels per match.

Members
1,690 posts
7,231 battles

French BBs also fare better vs CVs (well at least as far as T10s go).  Better torp protection and nicer AA.

[RKLES]
Members
7,107 posts
8,758 battles

French BBs have the speed advantage, although ships like Bismarck, Tirpitz, Sharnhorst, and Gneisenau are by no means slow. 

Germans have the better armor across the board all through the line. German AP shells feel a lot more effective than French AP. German Armor is Stronger. AA both lines are good  on that. And German Secondaries are Definately far more effective than the French.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,960 posts
12,479 battles
39 minutes ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

They are similar, except the French are generally a little faster.  Germans have significantly better armor and when angled are super incredibly hard to damage.  French battleships are plated in levels of armor that don't allow them to troll you like the Germans do. French BB's are much more susceptible to HE spam, especialyl of the IFHE variety. I have found the French guns to be more reliable and consistent.  German secondaries are much more useful since they actually inflict damage and start fires.  French secondaries are fire starters.  They do little damage on their own.

Basically spot on.

The German BB line overspecializes in defense at the expense of mobility and offensive reliability. I found the French BB line to be a very well balanced one that manages to be competitive without relying on gimmicks.

[TF16B]
Members
8,065 posts
17,029 battles
46 minutes ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

They do little damage on their own.

...but can rack up the ribbons in a close fight.

Sign in to follow this