You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ski206

Asashio Poll

Asashio Should WG release her or not?  

342 members have voted

1. 1. Asashio Should WG release her or not as is?

• Yes. She's ready and should be offered for sale
    • Nope the CC's are right don't release her as is.

249 comments in this topic

[TF-62]
Members
106 posts
5,334 battles

It's been suggested by many CC's that Asashio as is is a broken ship. That she will lead to worse BB game play and have a negative effect on the game overall. So should she be released as is or no?

• Cool 3
  • Bad 2

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,923 battles

The CCs are probably right, if BBs don’t have cruisers/DDs in front of them providing torp spotting, they won’t push (unless their at A and BBs at C). Asashio drivers won’t target campers, they will target the pushers. Also, any non USN/RN CA player will tell you how hard it is to be in front of a pushing BB. RN/USN cruisers don’t like to be spotted away from islands. Don’t trust DDs, many of which dislike BBs and their players, to screen for them. 

• Cool 3

[USFTW]
Members
94 posts
1,903 battles
5 minutes ago, GabeTheDespot said:

The CCs are probably right, if BBs don’t have cruisers/DDs in front of them providing torp spotting, they won’t push (unless their at A and BBs at C). Asashio drivers won’t target campers, they will target the pushers. Also, any non USN/RN CA player will tell you how hard it is to be in front of a pushing BB. RN/USN cruisers don’t like to be spotted away from islands. Don’t trust DDs, many of which dislike BBs and their players, to screen for them. 

Agreed. It doesn't matter how good she actualy is; what matters is that BBs will be scared of her and play more passively.

• Cool 2

[SYN]
Members
14,380 posts
10,248 battles

The easiest fix WG can do is change the torps to 12km DWT, instead of 20km DWT

• Cool 5

Beta Testers
1,301 posts
3,585 battles
21 minutes ago, Ski206 said:

It's been suggested by many CC's that Asashio as is is a broken ship. That she will lead to worse BB game play and have a negative effect on the game overall. So should she be released as is or no?

No like I said in another thread buff the guns reduced reload by .5 seconds and turret rotation increase turret rotation by 2 degrees per second. Cut down the torpedo range to 15 and allow it to target CA/CL's. Make the torpedos be visible at 1.5 km as well. Many forget that this destroyer get's torpedo reload booster which will help out enough if Wargaming does changes like I suggested. 

Beta Testers
220 posts

Bad idea to make a poll. BB mains are the vocal minority and catered to by WG.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Bad 4

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,744 posts
4,540 battles

I'd rather not get clubbed by a boat deep water spamming from a crossed the map who legit has no threat to itself.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,239 posts
24 minutes ago, AtomicMan3 said:

Agreed. It doesn't matter how good she actualy is; what matters is that BBs will be scared of her and play more passively.

Most BBs I see can't play more passively without being AFK.

6 minutes ago, kruppw said:

Bad idea to make a poll. BB mains are the vocal majority and catered to by WG.

FTFY

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[TEARZ]
[TEARZ]
Beta Testers
311 posts
7,383 battles

No one seems to mention that the Shima also has 20km torps but that is okay because you can spot them at 2.5km out. So bring in a dd that mind you can only hit 2 ship types, and omg how dare they. 

That being said you could simply do what other people suggest. Give it true DWT lower the range to 15km and buff the guns. This ship will not be out till next week or maybe today but I doubt it will undergo any changes. 

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,986 battles

I wouldnt mond seal clubbing t10 matches in a t8.... i mean this would be the first time theres a ship that would actually genuinely be OP for tier 10

• Cool 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,528 posts
6,683 battles

lacks a bacon option so not voting.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,224 posts
8,427 battles
34 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Sounds about right... +1

[SYN]
Members
14,380 posts
10,248 battles
19 minutes ago, kruppw said:

12 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

Most BBs I see can't play more passively without being AFK.

FTFY

You guys don't get it.

20km torpedoes that can't hit DDs or Cruisers means it allows highly passive play by the player.

There should be some risk for the reward, but 20km torps don't even come close to being a risk to use.

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
2,451 posts
4,080 battles

Asashio is probably the worst ship that WG has ever slapped together. Absolute murder against battleships, and utterly useless against everything else. It will encourage bad gameplay from battleships, necessitate bad gameplay from Asashio captains themselves (because outside of a division, the ship has only a single trick), and just degrade the quality of gameplay overall. The ship also stupidly introduces a second type of Deepwater Torpedo, something that is confusing and entirely unnecessary. Look, I don’t have problems with WG adding battleship hunters to the game (my best game to date is in the Harekaze, after all). I’m not fundamentally opposed to WG trying to break up a meta that some people find to be too passive. Asashio doesn’t break up the passive meta, it reinforces it. Asashio doesn’t refine or expand on the existing gameplay, it takes the Paper-Rock-Scissor aspect of the game to an unhealthy extreme. Honestly, @MrDeaf has the right of it. Rein in the meme torpedoes and give it “standard” DWTs that hit everything except destroyers. If the damage threshold is too high for the torps to be able to hit cruisers, then bring them in line with the damage of other Tier VIII IJN DDs. 

I know that I’ve been ridiculously salty about the Asashio, and I apologize for expressing myself in a way that hasn’t been entirely constructive. I watched World of Tanks turn to crap after its first couple of years, and between Asashio and Graf Zeppelin, I feel like I’m watching it happen all over again in WoWs. Wargaming can do a lot better, and hopefully they will.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 3

[POP]
Members
842 posts
9,505 battles
43 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

But it should damage cruisers too, and somehow irritate DD's maybe with a ringing in their ears like a dev strike...

Members
17,826 posts
5,092 battles
24 minutes ago, kruppw said:

If that was the case, Asashio wouldn't have been made in the first place.

Unless you're suggesting that maybe WG thought that BB players would like a stealthy torp ship specifically designed to hunt them? What about AP bombs? The perennial favorite BB complaint, fires?

If that's an example of being "catered to", I'll stick with red-headed stepchild cruisers, thanks.

[SYN]
Members
14,380 posts
10,248 battles
6 minutes ago, Gerbertz said:

But it should damage cruisers too, and somehow irritate DD's maybe with a ringing in their ears like a dev strike...

Then Asashio would be a plainly better Kagero, because IJN torps will knock off 50~80% of a cruiser's HP in a single hit.

Remember, it's a T8, it can still see T6 cruisers with less than 30,000 HP
A vast majority of T6 cruisers only have around 27,000HP, and a single T93 mod.3 torp deals 23,766dmg
Huanghe only has 24,100HP
You see the problem here, right?

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
220 posts
5 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

If that was the case, Asashio wouldn't have been made in the first place.

Unless you're suggesting that maybe WG thought that BB players would like a stealthy torp ship specifically designed to hunt them? What about AP bombs? The perennial favorite BB complaint, fires?

If that's an example of being "catered to", I'll stick with red-headed stepchild cruisers, thanks.

Because they know the current track they went on for nearly 2 years had them bleeding population. The game is boring when there is that much bias in the development groups.
They have to add something so the other, large groupings of players (non-BB mains) don't continue to leave in droves, or at least attempt to prevent that.

When Wargaming essentially came out and openly admitted that BB mains are their highest source of revenue at the same time they were receiving buff after buff after buff including a massive accuracy buff all whilst the metrics did not show them needing it...  and since then DDs have been getting gutted a lot... what would you call that if not "catering"? So what if Asashio exists, so what if AP bombs exist? I am sure they will get nerfed just like Midway because they are punishing BBs too much even if the metrics show them as at an acceptable balance level.

• Bad 1

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,068 posts
7,616 battles

Asashio is fine.  She doesn't reinvent the wheel.

• If you're concerned that Asashio players won't push caps and will instead do stupid stuff like fire from behind allies or go on merry little cruises to find prey, I remind you that selfish destroyer play already exists prolifically anyway.  Asashio does nothing to change the meta.
  • If you're concerned that Battlehip players won't push up for fear of Asashio's torpedoes, I remind you that battleships already turn tail and run if they so much as sniff an IJN / USN / Pan Asian destroyer in their vicinity.  Asashio does nothing to change the meta.

"But Mouse," you say, citing arguments you've heard made by other CCs, "This cannot be good for the game.  Asashio encourages players to play passively!"   I don't believe players need any encouragement to play passively.  I think it comes naturally to them.  Laying blame at Asashio's feet for upcoming poor play is short sighted.  It's already prolific.  It's already chronic in some cases.  Sure, sometimes Asashio will do damage with Hail Mary shots by that ally of yours that's annoyingly avoiding caps like the plague.  Whoop-dee-doo.  Sometimes a 20km Shimakaze gets lucky too.  Sometimes a Chung Mu that can't be bothered to cap hits pay-dirt.  These are also the players that will run from any sign of a real fight.  As much as they may do some nice damage every now and then, Asashio's win rate is going to be in the toilet because of them.

• Cool 17
  • Bad 5

[POP]
Members
842 posts
9,505 battles
5 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

Then Asashio would be a plainly better Kagero, because IJN torps will knock off 50~80% of a cruiser's HP in a single hit.

Remember, it's a T8, it can still see T6 cruisers with less than 30,000 HP
A vast majority of T6 cruisers only have around 27,000HP, and a single T93 mod.3 torp deals 23,766dmg
Huanghe only has 24,100HP
You see the problem here, right?

GULP!!

[SYN]
Members
14,380 posts
10,248 battles
5 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

"But Mouse," you say, citing arguments you've heard made by other CCs, "This cannot be good for the game.  Asashio encourages players to play passively!"   I don't believe players need any encouragement to play passively.  I think it comes naturally to them.  Laying blame at Asashio's feet for upcoming poor play is short sighted.  It's already prolific.  It's already chronic in some cases.

I disagree with some of that.

Yes, the passivity is prolific and chronic, especially on the Asia server.
It's actually not that bad on the NA server, from what I have seen.

However, it's never a good idea to provide the tools to enable such passivity in the first place.
Which is why I think the 16.5km torps are also pretty dumb on Gearing and the 20km on Shima needs to be phased out completely.

What Asashio is, is an enabler. An accomplice to the bad behavior.

• Cool 6

[POP]
Members
1,156 posts
14,805 battles
41 minutes ago, nuttybiscuit said:

lacks a bacon option so not voting.

Lacks a poll to vote for T - 61 to be released  :Smile_teethhappy: had to say it its my current pet project and mission to " Keep the :etc_swear: honest"

regards

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[WGA]
Developers, Administrator, Moderator, F&F, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
1,089 posts
3,730 battles

pigeon_popcorn.png

• Funny 7
  • Bad 1

[TBW]
Members
6,354 posts
11,894 battles

Your asking an opinion of people that haven't tried her out. We already know what the all knowing CCs have said. Hearsay does not make it my opinion, It only can reinforce an existing one.

I also hate Binary polls, On and Off are the only choices, so I didn't vote.

Edited by Sovereigndawg