Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grflrgl

Figuring out the Shimakaze

7 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
149 posts
5,269 battles

Hi All,

I opened the Shima a few days ago, and have a handful of games under my belt so far. I'm having some difficulty figuring her out. I thought I'd come here and see if anyone has any pearls of wisdom to bestow.

I've tried all three types of torpedoes. The Type 93 just seem too slow and people drive around them too easily. The Type 93 Mod 3 are what I'm running right now, and I don't mind getting close enough to make them work. I ran the F3's for a game and was immediately reminded of the Storozhevoi; a floating shotgun that requires a healthy dose of recklessness to succeed. It's still early with only a dozen games under my belt, but the Shima, so far, seems even more situational than the Kagero and Yugumo, and I'd even have to say more situational than the Minotaur (the Mino is a great ship in some circumstances, utterly useless at times, and a downright liability occasionally).

I suspect that there's something about the torps that I'm not thinking through correctly. The slow rate of fire maybe, or having to constantly try to avoid detection from other DDs or radar while reloading. I feel like I'm missing something but I can't figure out what.

(I have to admit that I've yet to find a T10 DD that I really like. I have an almost 80% win rate with the Gearing, but I find it dull to play. The Z-52 was sold shortly after I got it - again, just dull to play and an even bigger and fatter target.)

Any suggestions?

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

I don't have her yet but from what I've read, the most important two things about Shima are:
1) Don't use the longest range torps
2) Avoid encounters with enemy gunboats even if you have to use RPF to avoid them

Members
154 posts
10,019 battles

I found the Shima a step down from the Yugumo in terms of winrate even though I do much more damage in the Shima.

Because of its detection radius Shima is not great at contesting caps early on so I tend to flank early on and only push into caps when I feel its safe.

Shima tends to do well in games with many BBs for obvious reasons, in a game with lots of DDs the Shima will struggle so look at the types of ships in queue before jumping into the game.

Apparently Shima is getting a detection buff so this will make it a bit more competitive in caps hopefully!

Members
622 posts
6,893 battles
6 hours ago, Grflrgl said:

Hi All,

I opened the Shima a few days ago, and have a handful of games under my belt so far. I'm having some difficulty figuring her out. I thought I'd come here and see if anyone has any pearls of wisdom to bestow.

I've tried all three types of torpedoes. The Type 93 just seem too slow and people drive around them too easily. The Type 93 Mod 3 are what I'm running right now, and I don't mind getting close enough to make them work. I ran the F3's for a game and was immediately reminded of the Storozhevoi; a floating shotgun that requires a healthy dose of recklessness to succeed. It's still early with only a dozen games under my belt, but the Shima, so far, seems even more situational than the Kagero and Yugumo, and I'd even have to say more situational than the Minotaur (the Mino is a great ship in some circumstances, utterly useless at times, and a downright liability occasionally).

I suspect that there's something about the torps that I'm not thinking through correctly. The slow rate of fire maybe, or having to constantly try to avoid detection from other DDs or radar while reloading. I feel like I'm missing something but I can't figure out what.

(I have to admit that I've yet to find a T10 DD that I really like. I have an almost 80% win rate with the Gearing, but I find it dull to play. The Z-52 was sold shortly after I got it - again, just dull to play and an even bigger and fatter target.)

Any suggestions?

The Shimakaze has three phase in a game to my mind.

Start of the Game:

Head to a Cap, use RDL, be ready to fling torpedo at other DD's. Don't gun fight them yet.

Use your preplaned exit if need be. Don't die at the cap. Come back later.

Mid Game:

Spot for you team. Information is power. Memorize what ships have radar and pick your best chance targets.

I need GPS to get home after work, so memorizing the radar ships is off the table. So I get in no closer the 9 km and uses the 12 km torpedoes.

This will keep you somewhat safe for the end game.

End Game:

This is your time to shine. The other DD's are dead or low HP. Uses your guns on them. Get in closes for the dev strikes on those big stupid battleships with there big stupid guns.

Keep a eye on the caps and the points.

I don't clam to be an expert. This is just my 2 cents. 

image.thumb.png.fbeffa71b2094d2dc7b6dd212ecc5cd3.png

• Cool 1

Members
1,624 posts
9,723 battles

The primary reason people struggle with Shima vs lower tier IJN DD is you currently lose the spotting advantage you have over gun boats for most of the line.  The original intent I guess was to have Shima use its superior speed to most of the gunboats to disengage, while giving Gearings a chance to hunt her.

All that will likely be history soon if the concealment buff to 5.6km goes through.  This buff opens up a lot of tactical options for contesting caps and screening for other DDs. 

I do occasionally run F3s in randoms.  Its not nearly as dangerous as people make it out to be.  You do need to be aware of your surroundings and where enemy radar might be.  I like the intensity of this play style to keep me sharp for competitive.  Play smart and you will see your opportunities.  For competitive I run 12km torps.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
1,632 posts
12,662 battles
5 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

The primary reason people struggle with Shima vs lower tier IJN DD is you currently lose the spotting advantage you have over gun boats for most of the line.

Just to add my comment not to take away your opinion on IJN DD High tier VS low Tier.  IMO, compared to all the matches a player plays, the skills learned in the IJN DD line lower tier..  Forget those skills fast, once you hit the high tiers its a learning process again and its not fun like the lower tiers. As is, the Shima was hard to play the objective I can see that I played her in Public test.   Her "wall of skill" can be seen from here to japan (DDの楽しみをもう一度作る!). She really need the concealment buff/torp concealment from the air buff too. Her contribution to the fleet she participates in is improved but still need to be further analyzed in other to be competitive with the variety of gun boats DDs. Right now the balance is in the Gun DDs favor, I recommend even it out a little to be equal on all. Cheers 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,816 posts
10,709 battles
14 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I do occasionally run F3s in randoms.  Its not nearly as dangerous as people make it out to be.  You do need to be aware of your surroundings and where enemy radar might be.  I like the intensity of this play style to keep me sharp for competitive.  Play smart and you will see your opportunities.  For competitive I run 12km torps.

I also find F3s have a much higher fun factor. That's why it's my default torp on Yugumo. But it's hard to pull off a good match in Shimakaze. This concealment buff may make it much more feasible.

Sign in to follow this