You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AkiyamaSaneyuki_2017

What is your beer brand?

60 comments in this topic

Members
363 posts
2,175 battles

Over the years I learnt to appre siate some domestically made beers, this one small time brand from Pennsylvania has this unique rosy taste. OK tons of beer have flowery taste but theirs are... special. In a good way of course. 

What about you fellow capns? Do you perform better with the enhancement of C2H5OH?

[INTEL]
Members
6,627 posts
25,304 battles

None. Don't like the stuff.

That said, if I did (I tried a few countries), it wouldn't be American. As Monty Python put it "It's like making love in a canoe".

[BNKR]
Members
411 posts
2,433 battles
10 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

That said, if I did (I tried a few countries), it wouldn't be American. As Monty Python put it "It's like making love in a canoe".

You've clearly only had cheap, mass-produced American beer. There are numerous breweries that make beer that surpasses anything from Europe.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,920 posts
12,454 battles

Either

wsbRfbB.png

or

tMA3HQf.png

Depending on mood.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,870 posts
13,378 battles

Groelsh is a nice drop

A couple of my favourites

MfncwIg.png

Edited by Camo68

[NAVY]
Members
999 posts
3,720 battles

Over the years, I've developed a tast for the stouts and porters.

My good old standby is Guinness and Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, but I also enjoy a couple of brews from a local company near in Athens (Terrapin) which are the Liquid Bliss, a Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter, and their Moo-Hoo Chocolate Milk Stout. Unfortunately, Terrapin discontinued Liquid Bliss.

Founders Brewing Company's Breakfast Stout is quite good. I recommend folks giving Founders a try if they like stouts and they brew up several tasty varieties.

Lately, I've been drinking Left Hand Brewing Company's Nitro Milk Stout

Edited by daVinci761st

[HINON]
Supertester
18,920 posts
12,454 battles
16 minutes ago, MajorEnglush said:

There are numerous breweries that make beer that surpasses anything from Europe.

That is a very bold claim. There are hundreds, if not thousands of great microbreweries in Europe as well.

[SIM]
Members
2,433 posts
4,064 battles

McKenzie’s Hard Cider, because I can’t digest regular beers for some reason.

Members
363 posts
2,175 battles
38 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Best beers are made in America and best Whiskeys are made in Japan.

Time has changed buddy.

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

If we're talking wide-ishly available, I go with Shiner. Otherwise, there's a local brewery, called deep ellum brewing company that makes some good stuff.

[BNKR]
Members
411 posts
2,433 battles
10 minutes ago, Lert said:

That is a very bold claim. There are hundreds, if not thousands of great microbreweries in Europe as well.

True, true. And I've had quite a few thanks to travelling and having a friend who works for a niche beer distributor, so I get to try all kinds of stuff.

Regardless, the oft-repeated claim that American beer is inferior is just flat out false. Yes, Bud and Miller suck, but that's like judging Canadian beer on Molsen or Aussie beer on Fosters (which is Australian for "Natural Light" :Smile_teethhappy: ).

[HINON]
Supertester
18,920 posts
12,454 battles
2 minutes ago, MajorEnglush said:

Yes, Bud and Miller suck, but that's like judging Canadian beer on Molsen or Aussie beer on Fosters (which is Australian for "Natural Light" :Smile_teethhappy: ).

Or Dutch beer on Heineken.

• Funny 1

Members
631 posts
4,139 battles

The whole "my country's beer is better than yours" attitude is ridiculous. Beer is awesome and transcends nationalism. That said:

hop-city-barking-squirrel-thumbnail.png.ccd8be40033fd9040f9c334b31b4b906.png

Members
4,451 posts
6,152 battles

Me and my buddies were always half broke back in my college days so we often drank Robin Hood Ale.  Cheap rot gut stuff but it worked.  Kinda. Wine?  Went with Ripple.  Excellent if you want the dry heaves on a Friday night.  heh

[WGA]
Administrator
661 posts
249 battles

Living in San Diego for years spoiled me for craft beer so it's really hard to pick a favorite but there is an Orange Witbier brewed on Coronado Island that I truly miss. 

• Cool 1

[WPP]
Members
455 posts
5,097 battles
10 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

Living in San Diego for years spoiled me for craft beer so it's really hard to pick a favorite but there is an Orange Witbier brewed on Coronado Island that I truly miss. 

Weird that San Diego is known for good beer, right?  But it’s be hard to argue that it’s not.  Portland (where I’m at), Denver, Bend OR, and San Diego are where 90% of what I drink is made - and that covers all styles and probably 40 brewers.

Realistically though, I drink what I make.  Brewers and ingredients are too abundant here not to.  We bought a new house recently and have hops on the planting list for this spring.  

Edit:  I’m pretty tired of the hops arms race though.  Living on the west coast it’s getting close to impossible to find stuff that hasn’t been run through a hop rocket.

Edited by galspanic

Beta Testers
2,029 posts
40 minutes ago, MajorEnglush said:

like judging Canadian beer on Molsen 

Come on, now...  MGD is pretty decent.  It's my beer of choice.  Although, I'm primarily a rye drinker and haven't experimented much with different beers.

[NAVY]
Members
999 posts
3,720 battles
32 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

My cousin and her husband, who is stationed in San Diego, took me to Coronado Brewing Company when I visited them a couple of years ago. Went to the San Diego Tasting Room to sample some brews and decided to stay and have a couple of their 12" pizzas, which were pretty darn good too. 

I tried the Orange Witbier and it was mighty tasty. Their Mermaid Red was also quite good. They have an Early Bird Milk Stout now, that I would love to be able to get my hands on and try.

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
182 posts
4,286 battles

Bavarian Hefeweizen are my favorite: Franziskaner, Weihenstephan, Paulaner, König Ludwig, etc. These breweries also tend to make good Oktoberfests and Doppelbocks.

The only exception being Ayinger, which isn't a bad beer, it just pales in comparison to the others.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,505 posts
7,364 battles
2 hours ago, Radar_X said:

Stone has killed it for years.. They're former brewmaster, Mitch Steele has opened up shop in Atlanta, about four hour's drive from me. Can't wait to get my hands on his new stuff.

Ballast Point, (the billion dollar brewery) has always put out fine IPAs.  Along with Green Flash. (hope they get out of their troubles)

I'll be in SD this summer. Looking forward to hitting up some of the 100+ new breweries there.

[PSP]
Members
6,039 posts
8,582 battles

To me, beer tastes bitter and it also makes me sneeze. It doesn't matter the quality either.  When I was in the service I tried some supposedly excellent German beer and it still tasted like crap.