Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Gneisenau question

58 comments in this topic

Members
205 posts
4,213 battles

Are the Gneisenau's secondaries good enough to merit a secondary build? I see a lot of people using aiming mod or aa instead. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Edited by crazyferret23777

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,423 battles

No, not at the expense of your primary guns. The vast majority of damage will still come from your main guns, no matter how many points and pieces of equipment you pump into your secondaries.

[SYN]
Members
14,350 posts
10,224 battles

If you can close the distance to 7.2km, then you typically don't need the secondaries

• Cool 1

[SALT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,660 posts
2,671 battles

I tried the secondary build on it and it tanked my stats in the Gnei. No joke. Overall, having AFT and BFT to boost the AA was definitely nice, but take the aiming mod for sure. AR skill is also a nice boost if you have the points already at that tier.

Members
4,438 posts
6,130 battles
3 hours ago, Lert said:

No, not at the expense of your primary guns. The vast majority of damage will still come from your main guns, no matter how many points and pieces of equipment you pump into your secondaries.

I agree. I think secondaries are overrated by some. Main guns....on my Scharn it's the torps and main guns that really do the killing.  I see very little being done to a red's HP when her secondaries kick in. I have her with that increased accuracy upgrade. Seems to work better for me than secondary build. Besides I got a bunch of flags that increase secondary range which I use only with her. Works ok for me. You do get 5%+ range with the accuracy upgrade on secondaries. It's subjective of course.

Edited by dmckay

[H-W-C]
Members
1,258 posts
3,306 battles

I'm crazy. I went secondary build.

(remember this is the same guy who went secondary build in Nagato)

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,360 battles
3 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Are the Gneisenau's secondaries good enough to merit a secondary build? I see a lot of people using aiming mod or aa instead. 

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

German secondaries don't really come into play, till the Bismarck and beyond. Buff the main guns first and foremost.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,724 posts
9,426 battles
17 minutes ago, Crusin_Custard said:

German secondaries don't really come into play, till the Bismarck and beyond. Buff the main guns first and foremost.

Wrong. The Gneisenau gets 128mm secondaries on the upgraded hull. Something you don’t get again until T10. They absolutely wreck **** up when they hit, vs the 105 guns that are only good for fire starting. 

OP, max out the range on the secondaries, but don’t go for manual secondaries. Put your points elsewhere. 

Play from medium distance and don’t close till you have a good idea of the situation and can close in without half the team shooting at you.

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,360 battles
1 minute ago, HazardDrake said:

Wrong. The Gneisenau gets 128mm secondaries on the upgraded hull. Something you don’t get again until T10. They absolutely wreck **** up when they hit, vs the 105 guns that are only good for fire starting. 

OP, max out the range on the secondaries, but don’t go for manual secondaries. Put your points elsewhere. 

Play from medium distance and don’t close till you have a good idea of the situation and can close in without half the team shooting at you.

Sorry not wrong. Buffing main guns is the better choice, IMHO. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,724 posts
9,426 battles
1 minute ago, Crusin_Custard said:

Sorry not wrong. Buffing main guns is the better choice, IMHO. 

There are no meaningful buffs for the main guns. 

Accuracy mod is a placebo. The guns are still wonky as hell. 

The traverse is plenty fast and you have EM if you think you need faster turrets. 

I’m probably missing something.

I’ve had games where I’ve done 100k with my mains and 35k+ with secondaries and fire. A max range secondary build is fantastic. 

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,360 battles
3 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

There are no meaningful buffs for the main guns. 

Accuracy mod is a placebo. The guns are still wonky as hell. 

The traverse is plenty fast and you have EM if you think you need faster turrets. 

I’m probably missing something.

I’ve had games where I’ve done 100k with my mains and 35k+ with secondaries and fire. A max range secondary build is fantastic. 

Not in my experience . I mean when I played her, I would still be in secondary range, long enough to also score good secondary
damage. I just preferred having my BB guns as accurate as the game allow's us .

Edited by Crusin_Custard

[H-W-C]
Members
1,258 posts
3,306 battles

I remember a hilarious game where all of us battleships charged into C on shards. We were almost all German and French battleships. It was glorious.

[ICOP]
Members
773 posts
3,066 battles

If the majority of the games had CV's go with AA, she is quite nasty AA when spec'd.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,360 battles
2 minutes ago, warpath_33 said:

I remember a hilarious game where all of us battleships charged into C on shards. We were almost all German and French battleships. It was glorious.

Luv brawling CQ in BB's . Just as much fun as being in a DD :cap_rambo:

Members
4,438 posts
6,130 battles
10 minutes ago, Crusin_Custard said:

Not in my experience . I mean when I played her, I would still be in secondary range, long enough to also score good secondary
damage. I just preferred having my BB guns as accurate as the game allow's us .

Like I said earlier it's subjective to a large degree. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,688 posts
7,230 battles

I don’t know if the full secondary build is worth it, but AA build does work (aaaand full AA build does make secondaries shine as a side bonus!!!). T7 is actually a common tier to see CVs, because there are bunch of T7/T8 premium CVs, plus GZ will probably become more common in the nearest future.  Anyway, AA is defiantly something that just might be worth building into.

Edited by Ramsalot

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,360 battles
4 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

I don’t know if the full secondary build is worth it, but AA build does work (aaaand full AA build does make secondaries shine as a side bonus!!!). T7 is actually a common tier to see CVs, because there are bunch of T7/T8 premium CVs, plus GZ will probably become more common in the nearest future.  Anyway, AA is defiantly something that just might be worth building into.

AA in the German BB line is pretty strong if you build for it. 

Members
1,688 posts
7,230 battles
2 minutes ago, Crusin_Custard said:

AA in the German BB line is pretty strong if you build for it. 

Yet, Midway or Hak will still sink GK that is specced into AA, ask me how I know...

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,360 battles
Just now, Ramsalot said:

Yet, Midway or Hak will still sink GK that is specced into AA, ask me how I know...

Same with the Montana, if they really want to sink them. 

[LHG]
Members
1,190 posts
4,924 battles

I only have Gneise secondary specced as preparation for Bismarck. On her own she'd benefit more from full survivability, AA, or stealth builds.

Members
1,688 posts
7,230 battles
4 minutes ago, Crusin_Custard said:

Same with the Montana, if they really want to sink them. 

One time I was in the game when we only had Des Moines left on our team, in pretty much mint condition, it came in division with CV so I am pretty sure he was AA specced.  On the other side the last ship was Hak.  Boy oh boy, it was so satisfactory to watch all those waves of aircraft gloriously melting away...  Our team won...

Members
17,685 posts
5,084 battles
6 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

Having a strong attribute doesn't make you invincible, especially when that attribute gets degraded by HE spam, which you attract like flies.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,360 battles
2 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

One time I was in the game when we only had Des Moines left on our team, in pretty much mint condition, it came in division with CV so I am pretty sure he was AA specced.  On the other side the last ship was Hak.  Boy oh boy, it was so satisfactory to watch all those waves of aircraft gloriously melting away...  Our team won...

Yeah the Des Moines. It's AA is stuff of legends :Smile_teethhappy: Must have been a good game BTW ?

Members
1,688 posts
7,230 battles
3 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Having a strong attribute doesn't make you invincible, especially when that attribute gets degraded by HE spam, which you attract like flies.

But...  But...  I don’t attract flies! :cap_yes:

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,788 posts
4 hours ago, crazyferret23777 said:

Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

Gneisenau's guns are absolutely worth doing a secondary build.

Sign in to follow this