Sign in to follow this  
HMS_Formidable

1949 US Navy Avoidable AIrcraft Carrier Accidents Pilot Training

4 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Members
262 posts
4,300 battles

After watching this training video I feel like I could now land safely on a carrier.  :cap_cool:

Thanks for this. I love these old films.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,648 posts
14,025 battles

Naval Aviation is so treacherous.  So many incidents happen with aviation in general, military and civilian, you just don't hear about it on the news.  But do it on carriers?  It's crazier.  We spend a lot of resources to ensure pilots have their flight hours per month, continuous training, etc.  But sh*t still happens, and on a carrier where it's just the boat and a lot of ocean, it looks a lot scarier.

Years ago, when I was with a Marine / Navy F/A-18 training squadron, we were doing a detachment for a few weeks on a Carrier.  The "Day Page" of their training was fine.  It's the "Night Page" which was the fun part.  One night, it was of course heavy rain.  I was a "troubleshooter" for my shop and was at the island.  One of our Hornets was getting the walkaround inspection by the student pilot.  He finished and was at the ladder, fidgeting with his flight gear, tugging on his harness a lot longer than they usually do.  I looked at the young officer, saw him staring off into the night, sighing:

"Hey Sir, you alright?"

2ndLt:  "Yeah, yeah, I'm alright.  I'm alright?"

He had this look of concern as he said that, looking off into the pitch black ocean.

"It's cool Sir, we'll be here for you!"

2ndLt:  "But I'm the one that has to to do the flying in this sh*t!"

Another incident long ago, on a similar training detachment, a Hornet from another training squadron was doing his touch and go's during the night page.  I was a final checker for my shop at the forward catapults.  Since we didn't have any birds from our squadron at the moment, I was just watching the flight ops further back in the ship.  I watched this one Hornet "land" HARD on the flight deck, to the point where the carrier was shaking.  I saw this Hornet with collapsed main landing gear, literally with Full Afterburner and scraping along the flight deck on top of its fuselage tank, and took off the angled flight deck.  Sparks flying all over from her.  I couldn't believe my godd*mn eyes.  We ended up having to do a bunch of FOD walks up and down the flight deck to find any debris from this plane as we still had jets in the air.  We were off the coast, so from what I understood, the Hornet was simply diverted to land back at one of the air stations.

And that's tame.  There's crazier sh*t that happens on carriers.

Sign in to follow this