You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
xColonelJoe

What is being done about cheating mods?

69 comments in this topic

[00000]
Members
4 posts
1,833 battles

What is being done about cheating mods?  I left WoW a few years ago because of the aim assist mods breaking the game play and I only came back because a friend told be they have banned.  Now I see this isn't the case and I am asking the DEVS what are you going to do about it?  If you have no idea on how to correct this problem then let me offer you a good solution.   Create two different server sets where one allow mods and the other does not.  This way it will give a player a choice of how they wish to play as well as to provide good data for the DEVS to see which game play the players like the best.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 6
  • Angry 1

[VIP-2]
Members
802 posts
2,827 battles

You could be told, but then they would have to kill you.

How does an aim assist bot work when you have shell flight times long enough to dodge?

Are we speaking of me blasting you in smoke? Or perhaps seen by a friendly and me shooting before you crest an island citadeling you? Or knowing how far below your target identifier your ship is? Dont need an aimbot to do that, or many other amazing shots, just need to "get gude"

• Cool 4

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,249 battles
32 minutes ago, xColonelJoe said:

What is being done about cheating mods?  I left WoW a few years ago because of the aim assist mods breaking the game play and I only came back because a friend told be they have banned.  Now I see this isn't the case and I am asking the DEVS what are you going to do about it?  If you have no idea on how to correct this problem then let me offer you a good solution.   Create two different server sets where one allow mods and the other does not.  This way it will give a player a choice of how they wish to play as well as to provide good data for the DEVS to see which game play the players like the best.

:Smile_facepalm: :Smile_facepalm: :Smile_facepalm:

[VIP-2]
Members
802 posts
2,827 battles

I am not going to say that such a bot doesnt exist, cause i have heard it does.

But realize that at 600 battles, you barely know how to aim, at my 2000, i am staring trick shots, at crucis's 15k, he probably knows where i am going to move even before i do. Trust me there is an exponential learning curve, and soon enough you will know where to put the crosshairs, shortly after that you will learn how to hit firing targets in smoke, just by looking at their gunfire, and so on, etc.

The rng for the shot dispersion is calculated on the wg server...so even if you have the perfect aim spot, you might get 1 citadel. Next time you could be off by some amt and get 6 citadels.

Out of 2k+ battles i have seen someone get an unbelievably great shot on me a handful of times. Maybe one of those was guided by some aimbot, but i seriously doubt that you have been getting blapped by rampant misuse.

• Cool 4

[VW]
Members
1,811 posts
12,262 battles

Unfortunately the mod forcing new players to sail in astraight line at constant speed has not been banned.

:cap_popcorn:

• Cool 4
  • Funny 12

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
2,045 posts
9,250 battles

Let me guess, anyone who hits you MUST be using Aim Assist right?

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3

Members
1,030 posts
95 battles
21 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

Unfortunately the mod forcing new players to sail in astraight line at constant speed has not been banned.

No, the worst official WG cheating mod is the one that allows radar waves to pass harmlessly through islands, then reflect off of your ship and pass harmlessly on the way back to the receiver. Definitely should ban that one :cap_cool:

Edited by geser98
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 7
  • Bad 1

[NBGC]
Members
3,041 posts
10,248 battles
1 hour ago, xColonelJoe said:

Step 1: They decide, behind closed doors, that a mod is now "illegal."

Step 2: They then issue a statement of intent in the form of seven-day bans to everyone who was using the now-illegal mod.

Step 3: Refuse to own up to such a boneheaded method.

Members
567 posts
75 battles

Why do people accusing others of using aim bots never provide evidence? Why are they also the same people with either hidden stats or stats so embarrassingly bad they should be hidden?

Coincidence? I think not. 

And if aim bots did exist, they'd have to exist with enough frequency to have a noticeable impact to be worth complaining about. But that can't be possible with so many unicum players out there playing the game vanilla with no mods whatsoever. They'd be at such a huge disadvantage, they'd struggle to get above 55% win rate let alone 60-65+. How come these people like the OP never have a rational explanation for this either? 

Coincidence? I think not. 

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,197 posts
6,422 battles

Isn‘t it funny, that an Aim Assist Mod would actually harm you more than it would benefit you?

The Aiming Assist Mod tells you where the target would be if it continued at that exact course and speed. So unless the target is sailing in a straight line, it won‘t do you much good.

On the contrary, it would give you a false indication which will affect your judgement. Aiming is for me a lot about intuition, I am not using those fancy crosshairs that would occupy half of my screen. So this indicator would only confuse me, if anything.

• Cool 3

Members
1,030 posts
95 battles
4 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

The Aiming Assist Mod tells you where the target would be if it continued at that exact course and speed. So unless the target is sailing in a straight line, it won‘t do you much good.

Yeah, it's like a torpedo indicator. More often then not you need to anticipate where target will go and not fire on the indicator, otherwise you are unlikely to get hits.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,898 posts
12,416 battles

As a wise man once almost said, sufficiently advanced skill is indistinguishable from cheats.

• Cool 5

[ARRGG]
Members
4,672 posts
7,498 battles
4 hours ago, xColonelJoe said:

The aim assist was and is banned Wows did give certain players suspensions and some permanent bans when the crackdown came,

there is no doubt that left unchecked these ileagal mods and hacks would destroy this game,I for one would stop playing if I felt they still existed , I’ve not seen anything suspicious in a long time

It’s a fun game

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles
4 hours ago, xColonelJoe said:

What is being done about cheating mods?  I left WoW a few years ago because of the aim assist mods breaking the game play and I only came back because a friend told be they have banned.  Now I see this isn't the case and I am asking the DEVS what are you going to do about it?

I have been playing since Open Beta, and have well over 7,000 battles played.  So, I have some experience with the game, but still less than others who have already posted above.

I know "aim assists" exist, because I have seen them on YouTube.  Those cheats have a little indicator telling you where to aim, but that indicator moves constantly as the ship changes course.  So, if you shoot at the spot indicated but the ship continues to turn, you still hit nothing because the cheat wasn't predicting the continued turn.  Therefore, it's a 'dumb' cheat.  It might help inexperienced players who don't know how far to lead moving ships, but it sure as heck isn't "breaking the game".  Furthermore, players who use such a cheat are impeding their ability to learn how to lead and aim with their eye.

Some of those same cheats also have indicators telling you where incoming shells and/or torpedoes will land.  Meh.  Mildly useful, because typically you won't have time to evade, anyway.

Cheats are addressed by WG, but they really are not very common because they just don't do much for the player.  Still, players do get bans for using unauthorized mods (and sometimes players get caught up with a ban for using cosmetic mods that ARE authorized!).

In summary, xColonelJoe, cheating and hacks are not as common as you think they are.  If someone nails you from a long distance with one salvo, it is probably because they are an experienced player and have learned how to aim.

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 1

[ARRGG]
Members
4,672 posts
7,498 battles
2 hours ago, SireneRacker said:

Isn‘t it funny, that an Aim Assist Mod would actually harm you more than it would benefit you?

On the contrary, it would give you a false indication which will affect your judgement. Aiming is for me a lot about intuition, I am not using those fancy crosshairs that would occupy half of my screen. So this indicator would only confuse me, if anything.

The aim assist mod the poster is referring to is “deadly”in a few minutes of its use it makes a newbeee player an awesome shot the way it works is the mod calculates we’re the ship will be when your shells hit, the mod then gives you a dot were you are to aim,on a moving ship the dot is sometimes a long way off the ship something that takes a lot of practice to learn, I’ve seen a YouTube video of its use and it is very good, what I found interesting what it was also good at getting hits on a ship moving away at an angle ... it’s not funny if your on the receiving end

• Cool 2

[NASTY]
Beta Testers
493 posts
3,960 battles
2 hours ago, SireneRacker said:

Even a potato like me can figure that out.  Not sure why OP still thinks there's an aim assist cheat.  

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles
11 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

The aim assist mod the poster is referring to is “deadly”in a few minutes of its use it makes a newbeee player an awesome shot the way it works is the mod calculates we’re the ship will be when your shells hit, the mod then gives you a dot were you are to aim,on a moving ship the dot is sometimes a long way off the ship something that takes a lot of practice to learn, I’ve seen a YouTube video of its use and it is very good, what I found interesting what it was also good at getting hits on a ship moving away at an angle ... it’s not funny if your on the receiving end

That cheat still requires the target to sail in a straight line.  If a target is sailing straight, I don't need a dot to tell me where to aim.  I learned how to lead targets after a hundred games or so.  IMO, "aim assist" cheats only help new, inexperienced players get hits.  But, it will also reduce their ability to learn such skills for themselves.  Short term positive (if you don't mind being a filthy cheater), but long term negative for the cheating player.

Edited by desmo_2

[ARRGG]
Members
4,672 posts
7,498 battles
19 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I have been playing since Open Beta, and have well over 7,000 battles played.  So, I have some experience with the game, but still less than some who have already posted above.

I know "aim assists" exist, because I have seen them on YouTube.  Those cheats have a little indicator telling you where to aim, but that indicator moves constantly as the ship changes course.  So, if you shoot at the spot indicated but the ship continues to turn, you still hit nothing because the cheat wasn't predicting the continued turn.  Therefore, it's a 'dumb' cheat.  It might help inexperienced players who don't know how far to lead moving ships, but it sure as heck isn't "breaking the game".  Furthermore, players who use such a cheat are impeding their ability to learn how to lead and aim with their eye.

Some of those same cheats also have indicators telling you where incoming shells and/or torpedoes will land.  Meh.  Mildly useful, because typically you won't have time to evade, anyway.

Cheats are addressed by WG, but they really are not very common because they just don't do much for the player.  Still, players do get bans for using unauthorized mods (and sometimes players get caught up with a ban for using cosmetic mods that ARE authorized!).

In summary, xColonelJoe, cheating and hacks are not as common as you think they are.  If someone nails you from a long distance with one salvo, it is probably because they are an experienced player and have learned how to aim.

Dumb cheat it is not and it’s kinda “Dumb” to think so of course a ship doing evasive maneuvers is harder to hit especially a DD or CA but the Aim assist I saw I would guess doubled the hit rate a good player would get.. and that’s not dumb

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,197 posts
6,422 battles
3 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Again, if the ship is moving at a unchanged course and Speed this mod will make it easier to hit that target. However, just like the Torpedo leading indicator (which also Shows the point at which the target would collide with the torps), this Information has Little use once a target maneuvers actively, and at this Point the Player will have to predict movements.

Yes Aiming Assists for guns are a cheat and thus, and I will always be of the opinion that those using them should receive punishment. However, and that can't be stressed enough, These Aiming Assists will never be able to replace the intuitive judgement of an experienced Player.

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles
1 minute ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

Dumb cheat it is not and it’s kinda “Dumb” to think so of course a ship doing evasive maneuvers is harder to hit especially a DD or CA but the Aim assist I saw I would guess doubled the hit rate a good player would get.. and that’s not dumb

You give more credit to those cheats than I do, I suppose.  IMO, experienced player > player that needs a cheat to tell him where to aim.

[ARRGG]
Members
4,672 posts
7,498 battles
2 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

You give more credit to those cheats than I do, I suppose.  IMO, experienced player > player that needs a cheat to tell him where to aim.

I’ve seen it in action, a video of its use was posted on this forum, it’s nothing to be laughed at, you and others are right in that it limits the users experience so without it there in trouble, but these players are looking for an edge, the aim assist gave them a big one, it’s banned... good riddens 

• Cool 1