Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IfYouSeeKhaos

How exactly does damage saturation work again?

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
1,771 posts
17,309 battles

So I'm in a battle & torp into a Tashkent's (Edit...oops...it was1 of those RU DDs...in fact I just now realized I forgot to account for the Stalenium) Kiev's smoke & hit him (untouched before this so no saturation explainable) w/a torp (that is supposed to do 17,900 damage damage & only does 9808 damage). About a minute later I hit him w/2 more torps (that hit wide apart but at the same time so no damage saturation explainable there either) that only do 6253 damage & 1 click of flooding for 108 damage for a rounded up by 1 point total of 16,170 damage

shot-18_04.05_21_22.02-0653.thumb.jpg.f68a2b7a757dfa2aee05ffb236054eb9.jpg

Does Tashkent have some kinda torp bulges I'm unaware of?

How do 3 torps not even equal 1 torp worth of damage?

Unfortunately he was in his smoke the whole time but here's the replay if someone could explain this for me:

20180405_205706_PRSC109-Dmitry-Donskoy_44_Path_warrior.wowsreplay

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
102
[HSD]
Members
280 posts
9,399 battles

Ships have their HP sub-divided into sections.

Bow has a certain amount, stern has a certain amount, etc, etc.

Taking a guess at what happened.

1st torp hit was on the extreme bow or stern, completely saturating that section outright and the HP pool of that section was less than the damage the torp could inflict (9000 odd instead of the full).

The following 2 torp hits that were spaced apart, without some info I can put forward 2 possible scenarios:

1: The DD was moving at a sufficient angle and speed relative to the torps that even though both impacted they still hit the same area, essentially meaning the second torp did zero to near zero damage.

2: The two torp hits being wide apart means they hit both extremities, bow and stern. With one being previously saturated that was essentially null damage, the other torp hit the other extremity saturating it. It is also entirely possible that in the intervening time between the very first torp hit and the follow up two hits the enemy ship took damage from other sources to the extremities that removed HP from the unsaturated section before the torp hit, further reducing the actual damage the torp could inflict.

 

This is just guesswork, without accurate visual I can only guess.

Edited by Meatshield_No13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,030 posts
95 battles
2 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

w/a torp (that is supposed to do 17,900 damage damage & only does 9808 damage).

Maybe the best explanation is that there is no Tashkent in your damage totals :cap_wander: Who did you actually hit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
134
[VIP-2]
Members
803 posts
2,827 battles

Kiev recieved almost the exact amount of damage you think the tashkent recieved...

As for your question about damage amounts, i think LWM has an article on that, ill see if i can find it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41
[WOLF5]
Members
256 posts

...

3 hours ago, Meatshield_No13 said:

Ships have their HP sub-divided into sections.

Bow has a certain amount, stern has a certain amount, etc, etc.

Taking a guess at what happened.

1st torp hit was on the extreme bow or stern, completely saturating that section outright and the HP pool of that section was less than the damage the torp could inflict (9000 odd instead of the full).

The following 2 torp hits that were spaced apart, without some info I can put forward 2 possible scenarios:

1: The DD was moving at a sufficient angle and speed relative to the torps that even though both impacted they still hit the same area, essentially meaning the second torp did zero to near zero damage.

2: The two torp hits being wide apart means they hit both extremities, bow and stern. With one being previously saturated that was essentially null damage, the other torp hit the other extremity saturating it. It is also entirely possible that in the intervening time between the very first torp hit and the follow up two hits the enemy ship took damage from other sources to the extremities that removed HP from the unsaturated section before the torp hit, further reducing the actual damage the torp could inflict.

 

This is just guesswork, without accurate visual I can only guess.

So does it means ,single torp hit could never sink a dd,unless it`s detonates the magazines ? I`m sure i was sunk more than once(from full HP) by a single torp while driving  dds.....

Edited by VonSmallHausenn
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
134
[VIP-2]
Members
803 posts
2,827 battles

My bad, it was Amade.

Very good article. Upvotes for him/her appreciated.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
134
[VIP-2]
Members
803 posts
2,827 battles
8 minutes ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

...

So does it means ,single torp hit could never sink a dd,unless it`s detonates the magazines ? I`m sure i was sunk more than once(from full HP) by a single torp while driving  dds.....

I believe that a dd takes 90% listed damage of torpedo on a body hit. That being said, after tier 4 or 5, i dont believe any dds are a one hit sink. But the math can be done. Between the article i just posted and the wiki on torpedoes, you have the info you need.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
134
[VIP-2]
Members
803 posts
2,827 battles
5 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

So I'm in a battle & torp into a Tashkent's smoke & hit him (untouched before this so no saturation explainable) w/a torp (that is supposed to do 17,900 damage damage & only does 9808 damage). About a minute later I hit him w/2 more torps (that hit wide apart but at the same time so no damage saturation explainable there either) that only do 6253 damage & 1 click of flooding for 108 damage for a rounded up by 1 point total of 16,170 damage

shot-18_04.05_21_22.02-0653.thumb.jpg.f68a2b7a757dfa2aee05ffb236054eb9.jpg

Does Tashkent have some kinda torp bulges I'm unaware of?

How do 3 torps not even equal 1 torp worth of damage?

Unfortunately he was in his smoke the whole time but here's the replay if someone could explain this for me:

20180405_205706_PRSC109-Dmitry-Donskoy_44_Path_warrior.wowsreplay

Also you can review the details of each ship damaged by mousing over the ships in the bar at the top of that battle report. It will show the hits received by only that ship.

If you have not logged out of the game, you can recall that battle report by clicking the "i" button near the lower left of the screen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
74
[VOP]
Members
268 posts
6,986 battles

Question:

A ship fires at a brand new target that has never been touched.  A penetrating hit is scored that causes no damage.  The end of game results are checked and no module damage/destruction was done to that ship by the volley.  What happened to the damage?  This scenario generally happens in the first few minutes of the game when the target ship just appears.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41
[WOLF5]
Members
256 posts
56 minutes ago, c3shooter said:

I believe that a dd takes 90% listed damage of torpedo on a body hit. That being said, after tier 4 or 5, i dont believe any dds are a one hit sink. But the math can be done. Between the article i just posted and the wiki on torpedoes, you have the info you need.

..i guess that is,if you being hit with a same tier torp. one of the problems with the constant up-tiering, against ships,whose torp can erase you, (1 hit) but your torp damage not even close  to do the same....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
102
[HSD]
Members
280 posts
9,399 battles
18 minutes ago, Airjellyfish said:

Question:

A ship fires at a brand new target that has never been touched.  A penetrating hit is scored that causes no damage.  The end of game results are checked and no module damage/destruction was done to that ship by the volley.  What happened to the damage?  This scenario generally happens in the first few minutes of the game when the target ship just appears.

Taking a guess here.

The module absorbed the hit without the damage being sufficient to disable or damage it as modules have their own HP pools independent of ship HP. Without knowing the specifics (was it a BB AP round into a DD? Or a DD round into a CA/CL? Etc, etc).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
159
[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,941 battles
1 hour ago, Airjellyfish said:

Question:

A ship fires at a brand new target that has never been touched.  A penetrating hit is scored that causes no damage.  The end of game results are checked and no module damage/destruction was done to that ship by the volley.  What happened to the damage?  This scenario generally happens in the first few minutes of the game when the target ship just appears.

I think you can still pen torpedo bulges but not the actual ship meaning you receive a 0 damage pen. Also as Meatshield said, you can pen modules and not do enough damage to disable or destroy them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
351
[NAVY]
Members
999 posts
3,720 battles

Here you go, this explains damage saturation better than anything I could write.

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
74
[VOP]
Members
268 posts
6,986 battles
3 hours ago, Meatshield_No13 said:

Taking a guess here.

The module absorbed the hit without the damage being sufficient to disable or damage it as modules have their own HP pools independent of ship HP. Without knowing the specifics (was it a BB AP round into a DD? Or a DD round into a CA/CL? Etc, etc).

It was a BB firing AP at max range at another BB.  The target was angled about 20 degrees off the bow, not totally bow on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
252
[REVY]
Members
935 posts
7,270 battles
4 hours ago, Airjellyfish said:

Question:

A ship fires at a brand new target that has never been touched.  A penetrating hit is scored that causes no damage.  The end of game results are checked and no module damage/destruction was done to that ship by the volley.  What happened to the damage?  This scenario generally happens in the first few minutes of the game when the target ship just appears.

 

Do you have the ALT display option turned on to break down the hits and show the damage done? If it's not on, shattered and bounces are registered as hits even though they cause no damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
74
[VOP]
Members
268 posts
6,986 battles
2 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

 

Do you have the ALT display option turned on to break down the hits and show the damage done? If it's not on, shattered and bounces are registered as hits even though they cause no damage.

Yes, I have the ALT display option turned on.

 

To all:  Thanks for all the suggestions and answers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
575
[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
13 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

So I'm in a battle & torp into a Tashkent's smoke & hit him (untouched before this so no saturation explainable) w/a torp (that is supposed to do 17,900 damage damage & only does 9808 damage). About a minute later I hit him w/2 more torps (that hit wide apart but at the same time so no damage saturation explainable there either) that only do 6253 damage & 1 click of flooding for 108 damage for a rounded up by 1 point total of 16,170 damage

shot-18_04.05_21_22.02-0653.thumb.jpg.f68a2b7a757dfa2aee05ffb236054eb9.jpg

Does Tashkent have some kinda torp bulges I'm unaware of?

How do 3 torps not even equal 1 torp worth of damage?

Unfortunately he was in his smoke the whole time but here's the replay if someone could explain this for me:

20180405_205706_PRSC109-Dmitry-Donskoy_44_Path_warrior.wowsreplay

Modules (AA guns, secondaries, torp launchers) have their own HP. When they get hit, they take damage or get destroyed - but the ship itself is NOT affected. The more modules a ship has on it, the more tanky the ship is because these modules protect the ship HP from damage. They serve as  buffer.

Saturation occurs when most of these modules have been knocked out, so when ship receives damage - this damage is subtracted from the ship's HP bar. There are no longer any modules to shield the hull from incoming shells.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,771 posts
17,309 battles
16 hours ago, Meatshield_No13 said:

It is also entirely possible that in the intervening time between the very first torp hit and the follow up two hits the enemy ship took damage from other sources

In the replay (understand...TLDW(atch)...he was in smoke (assuming 1st Kagero's then his) from start of battle throughout this whole period so it would have had to have been lucky blind shots into the smoke...which isn't unrealistic).

 

12 hours ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

...

So does it means ,single torp hit could never sink a dd,unless it`s detonates the magazines ? I`m sure i was sunk more than once(from full HP) by a single torp while driving  dds.....

My thoughts exactly...have had instant deletion in my T10 gearing from a single Kagero torp from whole life w/out detonating.

 

12 hours ago, c3shooter said:

Also you can review the details of each ship damaged by mousing over the ships in the bar at the top of that battle report. It will show the hits received by only that ship.

I fully intended to take the screen shot w/that showing & had to exit game to watch replay before I posted & didn't realise I wasn't hovering over that in original screenshot...but I did look at it 1st & oddly enough the torp damage total was in the 15,800 something range w/a high 200 something flood damage total (The 108 from my text was based on #s shown in the replay but that might have been the toatal damage of the 3rd torp & the flood tick might have happened after the 1st individual torp hit).

Thanx for the link to Amade's rundown...very informative & +1 for both him/her & you.

 

10 hours ago, daVinci761st said:

Here you go, this explains damage saturation better than anything I could write.

 

& +1 to you for the iChase vid...a nice little summary on the subject w/actual video so you can see the examples in action.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×