Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Joe_918145

Ring Map Strategy

4 comments in this topic

[ICOP]
Members
128 posts
6,187 battles

The last battle I played tonight was in a Cleveland on the Ring Map (domination).  Most of the team went to the A cap, but myself, a Nurnberg, and a New York went to D in an effort to slow down the enemy if they pressed D.  We also had spawned closest to D.  There we were met with an overwhelming force, so we stuck together and began a retreat.  During the retreat, we sunk a Cleveland and an Iron Duke and damaged other ships.  We also ended up near the margin of the map as we were pushed hard by the enemy ships.  We were all three sunk and the team lost.

I was singled out in chat and chastised by one of the team members for letting the team down by not going to the other cap and for running to the margin.  My biggest weakness is putting myself in harms way to help out a teammate, so the comments really haunted me.  I also hate being in a Lemming train, and thought that the Nurnberg, Iron Duke, and I made a good strategic decision.  Obviously from the comments of the teammate he did not agree with the strategy.  I looked up his profile, he is a better than a 50% player and has a lot of battles under his belt.  He also sunk 3 ships over at A.

I can't say I'm a noob anymore, so I suppose you could call me an improving player. My goal is to get to a better than 50% win rate. With some good advice from people here, I've been improving the last few weeks.  So in an effort to play the Ring Map better in the future, I am asking what is the best strategy.  Is it a Lemming train to one of the caps or a somewhat divided force?  I do know that the enemy in the battle tonight divided their force and kicked our butts.  

Your thoughts?

[ASHIP]
Members
586 posts
5,221 battles

In a cleveland you shouldn't really ever get within 7km of the map border. Find a convenient island near the middle and camp behind it. Shoot over the top and remain unspotted as much as possible. If the enemy pushes you, back away around the island and keep shooting. If they push both sides of the island then you've picked the wrong island. Prioritize DDs within 10km, otherwise shoot at cruisers within 13km, otherwise shoot at the superstructure of any BBs coming at you. Also, if you're planning to stay with the cleveland, make sure you have IFHE.

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,492 battles
45 minutes ago, Joe_918145 said:

The last battle I played tonight was in a Cleveland on the Ring Map (domination).  Most of the team went to the A cap, but myself, a Nurnberg, and a New York went to D in an effort to slow down the enemy if they pressed D.  We also had spawned closest to D.  There we were met with an overwhelming force, so we stuck together and began a retreat.  During the retreat, we sunk a Cleveland and an Iron Duke and damaged other ships.  We also ended up near the margin of the map as we were pushed hard by the enemy ships.  We were all three sunk and the team lost.

I was singled out in chat and chastised by one of the team members for letting the team down by not going to the other cap and for running to the margin.  My biggest weakness is putting myself in harms way to help out a teammate, so the comments really haunted me.  I also hate being in a Lemming train, and thought that the Nurnberg, Iron Duke, and I made a good strategic decision.  Obviously from the comments of the teammate he did not agree with the strategy.  I looked up his profile, he is a better than a 50% player and has a lot of battles under his belt.  He also sunk 3 ships over at A.

I can't say I'm a noob anymore, so I suppose you could call me an improving player. My goal is to get to a better than 50% win rate. With some good advice from people here, I've been improving the last few weeks.  So in an effort to play the Ring Map better in the future, I am asking what is the best strategy.  Is it a Lemming train to one of the caps or a somewhat divided force?  I do know that the enemy in the battle tonight divided their force and kicked our butts.  

Your thoughts?

Hey Joe - if  you’re looking for feedback, it’s helpful to record your game and post the results where members of the forum can access it to evaluate your game.   There are many forumites like Lord_Zath who will actually review games & give you their feedback on suggesting tactical improvements or point out by mistakes that were made.

[SIDE]
Members
1,205 posts
8,657 battles

Something to think about:

Not only do you have to plan your moves based on how your team moves, you need to visualize where the opposing team spawns and where they are likely to go. This should come with playing the same maps multiple times, on both sides of the spawns.

Also, I feel 3 ships peeling off from the main force is generally not enough. Around 5, then yes, as you have a reasonable chance to blunt an attack or press your own.

Sign in to follow this