Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AVR_Project

RNG based distance compression ????

19 comments in this topic

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,335 posts
9,433 battles

When someone recommended to me to start saving replays....   Well, that turned out to be a bad thing.

I troubleshoot electronics for a living....   and I notice things -- I'll point them out to you.

You are stopped in smoke and a spotted enemy Des Moines is plowing towards you.  It's 11KM away so no worry..  But wait..  the distance is ticking down..  ticking at 0.1KM per second...

Ummm..  That's faster than a football field a second..   How fast is that?  That's 360 KPH or 223.7 MPH...   Hokey smokes!!  The real Des Moines couldn't go that fast if it was falling out of the sky!

That's Mach 0.27, or 194.4 knots.  The gun turrets would be sucked out of the wells at that speed.  The signal flags would be little clouds of confetti.

Ooooooo   Kaaaaayyyy...    Settle down.  We do some time/distance compression to keep the games from running several hours/days.  It's a game...   It's a game..  Go with it.

Continuing on with the replay, I pointed my Gearing away from the Des Moines, went full throttle (have speed flags), and hit the boost.  Soon, I'm doing about 40 knots.  Des Moines is still closing the distance and pops radar at 9KM...  Soon, it's 8.5KM...  then 8KM...  I have to dodge the shells at this point - so distance drops even faster.

There is some form of ratio-metric bias here..  But even with flags, the Des Moines shouldn't be overtaking a Gearing.

OK.  There is no speed calibration on these maps.  Seem to me, if there was, my top speed would be changing throughout the game.

So basically, if two equally equipped cruisers raced from one side of the map to the other, there would be some times one would speed out ahead, and then it would flip, and the other would catch up and maybe pass.  It's like a biorhythm type variation throughout the game.

Most players are too busy camping to notice anyway...   Hmmmm..  How did the enemy team get to our standard cap before WE did ???   Hello..

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,335 posts
9,433 battles
42 minutes ago, _Lord_Scott_ said:

You answered your own question a few times IT IS A Game

Reality is for realists 

And I thought reality was for those people who couldn't handle drugs.

• Funny 2

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
8 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

And I thought reality was for those people who couldn't handle drugs.

:Smile_great: :Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_honoring:

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,955 battles

I mean it isn’t that unrealistic. If a Des Moines is pushing you head on and you start from a dead stop, he will be closing rapidly. The base speed is 33kts. Yes there is distance compression and I think that has been covered before but there is no “speed calibration.” The game works based on a grid. Imagine a graph. The distance can be scaled but every ship will have to go the same distance to move points.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles

Distances in-game are (logically) seriously compressed, or this would go from a 20 minute game to a 20 day game. Do you really relish the thought of chasing down your opponents across the Pacific? At scale?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,335 posts
9,433 battles
2 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Distances in-game are (logically) seriously compressed, or this would go from a 20 minute game to a 20 day game. Do you really relish the thought of chasing down your opponents across the Pacific? At scale?

A destroyer op would notice these very well.  Detection range is everything, and at 40 knots, I should be able to keep out of the Des Moines radar range....   But it continued to overtake me at about 0.1km every 4 seconds.

Max speed of a Des Moines with flags is 34.6 knots.  Radar is 9.9KM

Max speed of Gearing is 37.8 knots with flags, and that increases 8% with boost to 40.8 knots.

So there is a differential in speed scaling there.  The map distances must be the same or detection/gun ranges would be screwed up between opponents.

Speed being distance/time -- that equation is already blown out of the water when the measured registered speed registers on a Mach Meter. 

Your knot gauge is a fantasy.  However, it is used as a reference to multiply with a scalar value to get 'map speed'.  The aforementioned 'scalar value' is controlled by RNG throughout the mission as something that can lean one way or the other - one different one for each team.

We have to keep the distances as a standard - since all the mechanincs revolve around it.  Obviously time can't be altered...

So THATS how that battleship miraculously outran your wall of torpedoes with some miraculous speed boost (not French).

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
6 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

A destroyer op would notice these very well.

I have no clue as to exactly what you are ranting about, because your post is ... confusing and follows no line of thought that is apparent, so just post the replay, or drop it.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,335 posts
9,433 battles
3 hours ago, Umikami said:

I have no clue as to exactly what you are ranting about, because your post is ... confusing and follows no line of thought that is apparent, so just post the replay, or drop it.

I'd have to find it again.  Plenty of opportunity tonight to get a third look - if I ever get out of a Des Moines.

[PNG]
Supertester
5,657 posts
6,455 battles

The distance compression is approximately 3x. Ships you are engaging at 12km, if everything were scaled properly, would actually be only about 4km away. Imagine trying to shoot a DD at 30km. That's how big a DD would look if you were engaging it 10km away IRL.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,335 posts
9,433 battles

Found the replay and watched it.

The ENTIRE mission, I fired about 200 shells -- none landed.  Also fired quite a few torpedoes - none landed. 

Odd thing:  If I only fire one set of Gearing torps, both sets of tubes reload ????  That strikes me as a bit unfair.  I'll have to watch that replay again.

I'm sure there is a game mechanic going on there somewhere.  I only recently encountered it.  Also did it to me in the Benson a couple times in CO-OP, and space battles.

We out maneuvered the other team completely in the beginning.  We had good defensive positions set up.

Then -- they could shoot us..  we couldn't hit them back at point blank range.  We went from numerical ship advantage and 2 caps to 1 -- to all melted in about 45 seconds.

My shots were straddling, but not hitting.  They were breaking my steering and setting me on fire every salvo.  My clan-mates were fighting the good fight, but were getting pummeled by 'too-accurate' RNG favored gunfire. 

Face it.  If they are scoring consistent hits when you are twisting like an eel, that's NOT an aiming hack...   That's RNG.

Not providing the replay out of respect for my Sanity clan-mates.

Edited by AVR_Project

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,335 posts
9,433 battles

OK.  They scored a hit on my torpedo tubes.  I repaired it, but it causes a full reload cycle.  I believe that is something BRAND NEW in the game.

[WHS]
[WHS]
Members
245 posts
8,197 battles
1 hour ago, AVR_Project said:

OK.  They scored a hit on my torpedo tubes.  I repaired it, but it causes a full reload cycle.  I believe that is something BRAND NEW in the game.

It's not. Your gun/torp gets incapacitated while reloading, you need to wait a full reload cycle once it gets repaired

Edited by ElvenRed

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,955 battles
2 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

Just so you know... claiming things that no one has every noticed (speed differences between ships) and then finding the replay but not providing it for any reason is not going to help your case. Also from what you’ve said it seems like your aim was off. Lastly, this mechanic has been in as long as I can remember. If a gun or tube is loaded and knocked out I will be loaded when it is repaired. If it is being loaded when knocked out, it starts over once repaired.

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles
9 minutes ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

Just so you know... claiming things that no one has every noticed (speed differences between ships) and then finding the replay but not providing it for any reason is not going to help your case. Also from what you’ve said it seems like your aim was off. Lastly, this mechanic has been in as long as I can remember. If a gun or tube is loaded and knocked out I will be loaded when it is repaired. If it is being loaded when knocked out, it starts over once repaired.

If my torp tubes are loaded (Gearing) and get knocked out, they will have to undergo an entire reload cycle once repaired. They never repair ready to fire. I've noticed the same thing on the guns of my Iowa as well. Gun is loaded, ready to fire, gets knocked out, repair it and then have to wait for it to load.

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,955 battles
15 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

If my torp tubes are loaded (Gearing) and get knocked out, they will have to undergo an entire reload cycle once repaired. They never repair ready to fire. I've noticed the same thing on the guns of my Iowa as well. Gun is loaded, ready to fire, gets knocked out, repair it and then have to wait for it to load.

I don’t know any way to test this but until you said that I was 99% sure if it is loaded, it will still be loaded while if it is reloading it will have to start the reload over. I’ll see if I can find a post about it.

Alpha Tester
3,334 posts
3,779 battles
9 hours ago, Compassghost said:

The distance compression is approximately 3x. Ships you are engaging at 12km, if everything were scaled properly, would actually be only about 4km away. Imagine trying to shoot a DD at 30km. That's how big a DD would look if you were engaging it 10km away IRL.

It's more complicated than this. For purposes of shellfire, shells travel ~3.1x faster. For purposes of accuracy ships are something like 2 times larger than they really were, making them 3-4 times more accurate. For purposes of speed, ships are about 5.5x faster than they are IRL, and torpedoes have extra speed on top of that.

[AWP]
Members
780 posts
2,955 battles
27 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

It is old but look at Lert’s reply. That is my experience.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,335 posts
9,433 battles
1 hour ago, Belyy_Klyk said:

If I can edit out the first 45 seconds of the replay...  I'd post it...   

You think the trolls are bad now...   this would rekindle the fires to Firestorm levels.

Sign in to follow this