Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
panzerdeal61

Torpedoes at 32 knots..

25 comments in this topic

Members
29 posts
3,595 battles

Ok first run fiasco..with a positive twist..

Took out a new cruiser for the first time...they REALLY need a disk version for at home practice with you setting up your own encounters A la Command and Conquer Generals...and torpedoed a destroyer successfully .. thing is, it was OUR destroyer and I was aiming at a battleship when he got between us..at 32 . 5 knots I didn't think that'd happen, BUT..

Torpedo 1.jpg

Members
29 posts
3,595 battles

Passing between 2 ships at 2,000 yards apart is kinda like trying to thread a needle .. takes care to do it.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,841 battles

But learning NOT to shoot torps when friendly ships are in front of you only requires you to tell your clicking finger to take a break.

• Cool 1

Members
29 posts
3,595 battles

And for that..why'd he pass between me and the target rather than flanking the Target OUTBOARD..we'd have hit it on BOTH sides instead of 1.. a "Sandwich play".

Members
2,156 posts
4,848 battles

farragut moves faster than a cruiser. it's always your responsibility to watch out for allies that could come between you and your intended target.

without a replay, this is just you blowing hot air. but i'll bite and throw a couple tips for you.

1) if you're that close to a BB at the start of the match in a cruiser, you're doing it wrong. leave torpedo runs to the destroyers and stay with the team.

2) ALWAYS be sure of your surroundings before even thinking about firing a torpedo. this is your job. it's not your ally's job to look out for your torps. it's your job to make sure they won't hit your ally in the first place.

3) if you really want practice, there's always the training room. easily accessible to anyone.

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
5,817 posts
5,348 battles
3 minutes ago, panzerdeal61 said:

And for that..why'd he pass between me and the target rather than flanking the Target OUTBOARD..we'd have hit it on BOTH sides instead of 1.. a "Sandwich play".

Then the target dodges his torps and he hits you instead, because reasons.  Then we have a different thread :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
29 posts
3,595 battles

By closing on either beam, you limit his dodge options.  He'll take fire no matter which way he turns.

Sandwich play.jpg

Members
29 posts
3,595 battles
12 minutes ago, MidnightShamalan said:

farragut moves faster than a cruiser. it's always your responsibility to watch out for allies that could come between you and your intended target.

without a replay, this is just you blowing hot air. but i'll bite and throw a couple tips for you.

1) if you're that close to a BB at the start of the match in a cruiser, you're doing it wrong. leave torpedo runs to the destroyers and stay with the team.

2) ALWAYS be sure of your surroundings before even thinking about firing a torpedo. this is your job. it's not your ally's job to look out for your torps. it's your job to make sure they won't hit your ally in the first place.

3) if you really want practice, there's always the training room. easily accessible to anyone.

A] In going for a CAP in an area previously unoccupied, the traffic issue became suddenly rather confused.

B] a destroyer that close top a cruiser, which is a bit bigger than he is, is  in a bad spot Vis a VIS ramming..he may want to give a fella a couple of inches. Had I turned a hair Starboard..

C] Still wondering how the Torps armed at that range..unless it just counted as 6 K of ramming damage..

Members
631 posts
4,139 battles

The general consensus around here is that if you torpedo a friendly, it's your fault. I've done it, damned near everyone has probably done it. Work your pink status off and remember for next time.

• Cool 1

Members
1,780 posts
17,363 battles
1 hour ago, panzerdeal61 said:

Still wondering how the Torps armed at that range..unless it just counted as 6 K of ramming damage..

Hover mouse pointer over the pink box there (works for the grey enemy ones too) & it breaks down exactly what type of damage was done by what type of armament/fires/flooding/ram/etc to that specific ship.

• Cool 1

Members
29 posts
3,595 battles
5 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Hover mouse pointer over the pink box there (works for the grey enemy ones too) & it breaks down exactly what type of damage was done by what type of armament/fires/flooding/ram/etc to that specific ship.

Good tip..actually got a decent answer...Thankee kindly.

Members
29 posts
3,595 battles
5 minutes ago, panzerdeal61 said:

What can I say...first out with a new ship, first Torpedo use, first "friendly" kill...a "111" score..

torpedo fact.jpg

Members
1,780 posts
17,363 battles
5 minutes ago, panzerdeal61 said:

NP...unfortunately people will cut in front of you a lot in this game (some out of unconsciousness & others to intentionally stop you from being able to fire so they can farm all the damage for themselves)...& the worst part is when they are that close sometimes it is impossible to even distinguish them on the mini map...but unfortunately it is your responsibility to zoom out occasionally & search for yourself to avoid the TKs...it gets easier w/practice. If that's your only TK so far you're doing pretty well.

• Cool 1

Members
29 posts
3,595 battles

Skipper on the bridge spotting through scope, hears XO scream "No,No,No,your OTHER left !!!" looks over just in time to see a  "friendly", tho maybe not so much after this, DD get creamed by 3 fish spread at maybe 600 yards...and the BB at 2,000 steams blissfully by raking his cruiser with 5.9 inch fire from the secondary's..

Frankly, I wouldn't blame the DD skipper for having a grudge for a while, but you gotta admit..it lends itself to a bit of humor.

Members
29 posts
3,595 battles
1 minute ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

NP...unfortunately people will cut in front of you a lot in this game (some out of unconsciousness & others to intentionally stop you from being able to fire so they can farm all the damage for themselves)...& the worst part is when they are that close sometimes it is impossible to even distinguish them on the mini map...but unfortunately it is your responsibility to zoom out occasionally & search for yourself to avoid the TKs...it gets easier w/practice. If that's your only TK so far you're doing pretty well.

Out of some 1,800 Co ops and 400 Random battles..

Still say they oughtta shoulder a bit themselves tho..IF I can turn away at times , I see no reason they can't..AND I'd announced it was my first time out in that cruiser, so they were warned. I got a clear conscience.

Members
29 posts
3,595 battles

NOTE: standard practice of mine: I announce speed trials if it's a new to me ship. that way they should kinda steer clear of me as I get used to it. I like the pennants for that too, but the signals containers been kinda bare lately..

Members
1,780 posts
17,363 battles
58 minutes ago, panzerdeal61 said:

Ideas jokes and random thoughts on this thread..don't hold back.

You should start a new thread under "off topic" for that...this 1 is already labeled torps 32 knots.

I was just gonna start 1 trying to figure out how a Tashkent only took 16k damage from 3 torps from a Gearing (that do 17,900 each)...& they weren't even all from same volley so damage saturation couldn't apply.

Members
29 posts
3,595 battles

New thread seems a waste of space..Somebody's making a relatable comment to the thread with a bit of sarcastic humor..  well it's just flavoring.

Members
29 posts
3,595 battles

Couple of things I noticed..

Torps do damage to HP but little else. Designers got some work to do still.

Flooding causes a ship to list . this:

A] changes firing angles on guns, throwing your aim off,

B] puts more hull under water, slowing reaction time to rudder,

c} adds weight, slows the ship overall,

D] hit on rudder [steering gear]  locks you on course until repaired.. Circular path, ramming without avoiding, running aground.. all possibilities under this scenario.  They still got a lot of work to do..

[KSC]
Beta Testers
18 posts
6,534 battles

you are wanting more complexity in a simplistic arcade game. Also last two are already in the game, flooding reduces your speed and hits to the rudder have a chance of incapacitating it and locking it into position. 

Members
29 posts
3,595 battles
On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:29 PM, kevin2804 said:

you are wanting more complexity in a simplistic arcade game. Also last two are already in the game, flooding reduces your speed and hits to the rudder have a chance of incapacitating it and locking it into position. 

Never seen any effect off it though. 

Then again..never a big fan of these short run time limit games.  I did start out on the 8 hour 1/2000 scale  [ and bring your own dice and pencils]  pewter miniature sets..Want a really GOOD round..clear a weekend.

My speed's never dropped appreciably, nor has my opponents AS it drops, [if it did] it would effect the amount of lead needed. Cruisers still cruise at a rate on the sight scale of 7...

Sign in to follow this