Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
RazgrizRaptor

Midway-Class Aircraft Carrier's stats are incorrect.

6 comments in this topic

[TEARZ]
Beta Testers
229 posts
5,978 battles

So, I'm not sure what compelled me to, but today I decided to look up the real USS Midway to see if it was even possible for them to somehow make a "free premium" version of her like they did for Missouri/Musashi. so first I went to Wikipedia to see when she got her angled flight deck (original idea was "launch and recover at the same time, fewer AA guns are her flaw), but then I discovered something the real midway had WAY more AA guns than what we get in the game. in fact, no Midway-class carrier has that loadout. Midway has too many guns, Coral Sea (CV-43) has too few (only 14 x 5" guns), and the closest is CV-42, USS Franklin D. Roosevelt which has 21 × 4 – 40 mm Bofors /60 caliber guns. our Midway has a jumble of guns that equal the same 21 Bofors, but not all of them are the quads. to make sure Wikipedia didn't have the wrong numbers, I searched the internet for about 30 minutes, finding several sits with war stories and finally two with actual info, one being from the United States Navy. here's what her owners say her stats were...
displacement: 45,000 tons
length: 968 feet
beam: 113 feet
draft: 35 feet
speed: 33 knots 
complement: 4,104 crew
armament: 18 5-inch guns, 84 40mm guns, 68 20mm guns
class: Midway

another site I found even listed the years for USS Midway's armaments over her life.

• 1945: 18 5-inch (12,7 cm) 54 caliber guns, 84 40mm guns and 28 20mm guns
  • 1950: 14 5-inch (12,7 cm) 54 caliber guns and 40 3-inch (7,6 cm) 50 caliber guns
  • 1957: 10 5-inch (12,7 cm) 54 caliber guns and 22 3-inch (7,6 cm) 50 caliber guns
  • 1961: 10 5-inch (12,7 cm) 54 caliber guns
  • 1963: 4 5-inch (12,7 cm) 54 caliber guns
  • 1970: 3 5-inch (12,7 cm) 54 caliber guns
  • 1985: 2 Mk-25 launchers for Sea Sparrow, 2 Phalanx CIWS Mk-15

so... I if WG sees this, I think they needa tweak the Midway herself (not the planes, I didn't look into those today. lol)... even if they rename her to be CV-42, then it'd still require some tweaking since the AA isn't in line with what either carrier had when they were commissioned. the only unfortunate thing is I can not figure out what configuration those 84 x 40mm guns are in. is that each gun mounted separately? the number of barrels in separate mounts? or 84 batteries with "X" number of 40mms? even if I'm assuming it's the number of total barrels, regardless of configuration, our in-game Midway is missing about 20 of them, cause her total is  62. so where's the other 12 40mms and where's our 28~68 20mms? (I've no idea what happened to 40 of the 20s Wikipedia and the USN say 68, the 3rd site only said she had 28x20mm guns.) 

included below are links to the three pages I found that had useful information. well, to anyone that reads this, thanks for taking the time to read this. I hope you have a good day. ^^

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Midway_(CV-41)

http://www.navy.mil/navydata/ships/carriers/histories/cv41-midway/cv41-midway.html

https://www.navysite.de/cvn/cv41.htm

[HINON]
Members
8,876 posts

Tweaking aa loadouts is one of the ways they balance ships.  Balance comes before history.

[TEARZ]
Beta Testers
229 posts
5,978 battles

yeah, fair enough, tho I figured I should point out that their numbers are incorrect for any of the Midway-class carriers. I'm sure you found out Yamato had more AA guns than what WG gave her, you'd want them too. lol

that and I recall WG saying that if someone pointed out they had incorrect stats, they'd fix it. I think their example was a battleship and her deck armor being thinner in game than irl.

Sign in to follow this