Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
legozer

I played a game in a cv, and you should too!

57 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

592
[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,689 battles

I played a game in a CV, the T4 Langley.

I've played several in the past, but I've always hated it! BUT, I've been a bit annoyed with the CV play I've sen in the past few months, especially at low tier, so I decided to give it another go. I wanted to re-learn how hard it was, and teach myself some humility before I criticize anyone else (and I don't often say anything critical in chat).

I did surprisingly well. It was a lot of fun, and, more importantly, a great change of pace.  I'm gonna keep learning to play CV, and will get a few dozen Langley games under my belt before I try the Bogue again. The multi tasking nature of the CV is kind of appealing, and I think is a good mental exercise as well.

Anyway, get out there and try something new and outside of your comfort zone. You just might surprise yourself!

 

image.thumb.png.05b73cece65680b38b62b8d5c85a10a8.png

 

  • Cool 7
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
469
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles

CVs just take time to learn. If you want some advise, it is in my Topic in my Signature below.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,432
[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,207 posts
5,669 battles

A question, can you really learn how to play CV's at low tiers without the ability to manual drop weapons?

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
592
[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,689 battles
6 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

A question, can you really learn how to play CV's at low tiers without the ability to manual drop weapons?

Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
618
[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
2,765 posts
1,320 battles
3 minutes ago, legozer said:

Yes.

Yes.  There's a lot more to CV play than just the drops.  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,327
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,488 posts
6,657 battles
26 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

Yes.  There's a lot more to CV play than just the drops.  

very well said/ And this is an issue, or an advantage for some of us cv players, who understand this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
469
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
20 minutes ago, Belthorian said:

A question, can you really learn how to play CV's at low tiers without the ability to manual drop weapons?

This is how I learned to manual drop

  1. I learned to set way points so my planes come at a better angle
  2. I learned to adjust my aim (not manual aim) by changing where my bombers attack
    1. Angle of attack
    2. It's hard for me to describe this. Hold on to the green where the bombers will attack and turn it around the ring allows you to do this
  3. As my bombers get closer from their way points and my adjusted aim, I use the manual aim to have my bombers drop their payloads closer within arming distance
    1. With IJN CVs, you can get a nice wall of torpedoes

If you check out my the early WoWS Update Videos I believe I do them more than I do now.

Edited by Vangm94

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,432
[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,207 posts
5,669 battles
11 minutes ago, Vangm94 said:

This is how I learned to manual drop

  1. I learned to set way points so my planes come at a better angle
  2. I learned to adjust my aim (not manual aim) by changing where my bombers attack
    1. Angle of attack
    2. It's hard for me to describe this. Hold on to the green where the bombers will attack and turn it around the ring allows you to do this
  3. As my bombers get closer from their way points and my adjusted aim, I use the manual aim to have my bombers drop their payloads closer within arming distance
    1. With IJN CVs, you can get a nice wall of torpedoes

If you check out my the early WoWS Update Videos I believe I do them more than I do now.

Should I start off playing CV's in Co-op? If there is one thing I hate to do in randoms is let my team down with poor play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
469
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
Just now, Belthorian said:

Should I start off playing CV's in Co-op? If there is one thing I hate to do in randoms is let my team down with poor play.

Trial by fire. Bots and human players are very different. If anything, if some players can give you good advise, take it. If players complain, just move on because there will always be criticism. I almost always will criticize (give advise) CV players because I can't help it. 

  • Example of myself
    • Learn to move CV
    • Take the bait why don't you
    • Faster you move, faster you are more useful
    • You'd be surprised at how more useful you become when you move
    • etc.

As said, my topic in my signature might help you. I find it hard to teach how to play CVs so the best I can do is describe my own tactics and post only battle videos so that other players can observe what I do and perhaps learn something.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
592
[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,689 battles

Thanks Vangm94. Quite helpful.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
469
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
5 minutes ago, legozer said:

Thanks Vangm94. Quite helpful.

Just gloating about myself is all :cap_win: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
592
[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,689 battles

Well, since we're gloating....

Game no. 2 in Langley, using your tips.

image.thumb.png.cab837b314d46ca0378069bb4d104b8b.png

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
469
[QNA]
[QNA]
Members
1,838 posts
5,879 battles
2 minutes ago, legozer said:

Well, since we're gloating....

Game no. 2 in Langley, using your tips.

image.thumb.png.cab837b314d46ca0378069bb4d104b8b.png

Good job

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,584
[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,294 battles
1 hour ago, Belthorian said:

A question, can you really learn how to play CV's at low tiers without the ability to manual drop weapons?

Yes.  Think of it as training wheels.  You're learning the basics.  Getting planes in the air.  Managing multiple squadrons.  Learning how to do auto-attacks.  I suggest learning how to play CVs in coop.  IMO, even in low tier CVs, it's grossly unfair to your team to go into a random battle with barely a clue how to play CVs on the most basic level.  Play coop until you have a firm grasp of the basic CV mechanics before playing randoms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles

I am not a CV player, but I found that playing CV was very educational for the insight in how this type of ship works.  I notice some of the most vocal players that complain about CVs on forums don't have any hands on experience playing CVs, and that is just sad.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,584
[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,294 battles
1 hour ago, legozer said:

I played a game in a CV, the T4 Langley.

I've played several in the past, but I've always hated it! BUT, I've been a bit annoyed with the CV play I've sen in the past few months, especially at low tier, so I decided to give it another go. I wanted to re-learn how hard it was, and teach myself some humility before I criticize anyone else (and I don't often say anything critical in chat).

I did surprisingly well. It was a lot of fun, and, more importantly, a great change of pace.  I'm gonna keep learning to play CV, and will get a few dozen Langley games under my belt before I try the Bogue again. The multi tasking nature of the CV is kind of appealing, and I think is a good mental exercise as well.

Anyway, get out there and try something new and outside of your comfort zone. You just might surprise yourself!

 

 

I disagree.  I hate playing CVs.  But I do it nonetheless.  But I don't do it for a change of pace or fun.  I do it to not get stale so that I can use my CVs to do missions when one comes along that requires CVs.

Frankly, the best reason I can come up with to play CVs when one prefers not to, is to walk a mile in the carrier player's shoes to see what carrier players have to deal with.  And much as I loathe carriers in this game, so long as they're in the game, it doesn't hurt to at least appreciate what the carrier player's challenges are so that you can think twice before insulting him for not doing this or that.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
592
[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,689 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I disagree.  I hate playing CVs.  But I do it nonetheless.  But I don't do it for a change of pace or fun.  I do it to not get stale so that I can use my CVs to do missions when one comes along that requires CVs.

Frankly, the best reason I can come up with to play CVs when one prefers not to, is to walk a mile in the carrier player's shoes to see what carrier players have to deal with.  And much as I loathe carriers in this game, so long as they're in the game, it doesn't hurt to at least appreciate what the carrier player's challenges are so that you can think twice before insulting him for not doing this or that.

So, you disagree, but then you go on to completely agree with what I said?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
592
[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,689 battles

As soon as I read the words, "I disagree" I thought, yeah, @crucis, that's pretty much what you do.

Edited by legozer
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,064
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,674 posts
9,998 battles

Why start playing CV now, when with the 'carrier rework' it might get even better, or change hugely leaving what you've learned largely useless?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,470
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,038 posts
12,523 battles
3 minutes ago, mofton said:

Why start playing CV now, when with the 'carrier rework' it might get even better, or change hugely leaving what you've learned largely useless?

Because waiting for the CV rework is already kinda an "old dry skeleton on a rocking chair" meme. Besides, the OP already said it can be fun, which seems a good enough reason on its own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,584
[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,294 battles
12 minutes ago, legozer said:

So, you disagree, but then you go on to completely agree with what I said?

No, I didn't agree with what you said.  You said to do it for fun and to get out of your comfort zone, which I disagree with.  OTOH, I think that the reason for doing it is to learn what challenges a CV player faces.  Those are two completely different things.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,584
[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,294 battles
11 minutes ago, mofton said:

Why start playing CV now, when with the 'carrier rework' it might get even better, or change hugely leaving what you've learned largely useless?

Because even though the mechanics may change, the knowledge of what challenges a carrier player faces aren't likely to change all that much on a high level.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
592
[ARGSY]
Members
1,267 posts
8,689 battles
1 hour ago, legozer said:

I wanted to re-learn how hard it was, and teach myself some humility before I criticize anyone else (and I don't often say anything critical in chat).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,327
[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,488 posts
6,657 battles
23 minutes ago, mofton said:

Why start playing CV now, when with the 'carrier rework' it might get even better, or change hugely leaving what you've learned largely useless?

I don't think CV gameplay will change hugely. Premium CVs from 2017 would suggest the opposite. What can we expect from the CV rework then? Not so much changes to CVs, as changes to other ships (the way AA works, scouting, spotting and radio, as examples of where we can expect changes).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,432
[OPGS]
Beta Testers
3,207 posts
5,669 battles
1 hour ago, Vangm94 said:

Trial by fire. Bots and human players are very different. If anything, if some players can give you good advise, take it. If players complain, just move on because there will always be criticism. I almost always will criticize (give advise) CV players because I can't help it. 

  • Example of myself
    • Learn to move CV
    • Take the bait why don't you
    • Faster you move, faster you are more useful
    • You'd be surprised at how more useful you become when you move
    • etc.

As said, my topic in my signature might help you. I find it hard to teach how to play CVs so the best I can do is describe my own tactics and post only battle videos so that other players can observe what I do and perhaps learn something.

I think I will use some elite XP to grind up a 19 point captain for my Langley before dipping my toe in the pool lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×