You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Premium ammo on the way?

90 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,269 posts

Do you all remember if WoT started with premium ammo?

Or did the game reach a saturation point, a certain level of performance or lack thereof by players, which triggered premium/gold ammo?

(Myself i despise/detest such ammo... it was one of the reasons I stopped WoT, toxicity being the other - but from a company POV it might make economical sense). 

So has anyone heard or read anything related to this subject? tiafyc

Edited by Herr_Reitz
spelling correction
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 4

[-K-]
Supertester
3,087 posts
6,829 battles

No premium ammo in WOWS.  WOT started with premium ammo that was purchaseable only with gold.   

[WOLF1]
Members
1,986 posts

hell no, premium ammo means all you poor players are now punch bags for the rich lol

Edited by Happy668

Members
1,552 posts
9,841 battles

Prem ammo was a really bad idea for WOT. It was one of the factors that created an unbearable toxicity in that game and led so many to just abandon it. If they introduce it here the same will follow.

• Cool 5

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,486 battles

Premium ammo in wows would = Nuclear tipped warheads :cap_rambo:

PS: Ships are just a wee bit differently designed than tanks. 

WG have other ways to monetize this game. :cap_book:

Edited by Crusin_Custard
  • Cool 1

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts
1 minute ago, Crusin_Custard said:

Premium ammo in wows would = Nuclear tipped warheads :cap_rambo:

Cruise missiles on Iowa IMO. :cap_like:

• Funny 3

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,269 posts
10 minutes ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

No premium ammo in WOWS.  WOT started with premium ammo that was purchaseable only with gold.   

Good... well, let's hope it stays that way then. About the only type i could see becoming available would be rounds with greater charges, maybe would affect the speed of the round going downrange, faster, but with less pen or something.

Members
17,842 posts
5,096 battles
7 minutes ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

Yup. Wasn't a big deal then, hardly anyone wanted to constantly bleed gold by using it. Mainly the odd whale, or members of top gold-earning clans.

Once they made it available for credits, absolutely everybody who was a half-decent shot, had a premium account, and shot regular ammo when gold ammo was completely unnecessary, (like a Tiger shooting a Sherman from behind) could afford to shoot gold whenever it gave an advantage.

Went from maybe 1 or 2 players out of 30 using a round or two when faced with something they wouldn't normally pen, to half or more of the players slinging it willy-nilly.

Basically made armor obsolete.

Members
2,905 posts
1,365 battles

Gold ammo, like one of the worst things to ever hit WoT......

All the threads I remember seeing on WoT forums about people shooting T29 turrets then [edited], moaning and crying bloody murder that the T29 was OP AF.  Or you wanna face tank aheavy with a medium and complain when it roflstomps ur [edited] in the dirt. 

Guess players want to all be super heroes....its why PVP games arent fun.....everything pens everything, and nothing has any survivability....

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
23 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Do you all remember if WoT started with premium ammo?

Or did the game reach a saturation point, a certain level of performance or lack thereof by players, which triggered premium/gold ammo?

(Myself i despise/detest such ammo... it was one of the reasons I stopped WoT, toxicity being the other - but from a company POV it might make economical sense). 

So has anyone heard or read anything related to this subject? tiafyc

I'm not sure what historical precedent there would be.  WoT is very different in that the advent of HVAP, APDS and HEAT and HESH\HEP were big changes in the projectile vs. armor battle.  The evolution from full-caliber KE projectiles to sub-caliber hyper velocity and shaped charge projectiles occurs in the middle of the era being covered by WoT.  So it kind of makes sense in those terms.  Although arguably the implementation within WoT has left a bad taste in a lot of players mouths.  It's not as much of an issue in the way War Thunder Ground Forces deals with similar ammunition types (but whatever). 

Conversely there isn't really anything analogous in surface naval combat until evolution from gunfire to missiles.  But this period of evolution in naval surface combat weaponry and projectiles of choice isn't really encompassed in era that WoT encompasses.  The long and short being sub-caliber, HEAT and or HEP round in WoWs isn't a logical consideration.  In fact, given the major contrast in behind armor effects and effectiveness between tanks and ships -- use of sub-caliber or chemical energy projectiles like HEAT in naval combat -- would actually be pretty silly.   

Edited by Dr_Dirt

[WOLF2]
Members
124 posts
4,611 battles

I'd stop playing in a heartbeat if they brought gold ammo to this game. I was/am a purple unicorn in tanks and gold ammo ruined the fun factor. 

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
2,453 posts
4,093 battles

The talk is that World of Tanks will actually phase out premium ammo within the next year or so, possibly changing it to “different but equal” option. The chances of it coming to World of Warships are...hell, this is Wargaming, so who knows.

[SEOP]
Members
1,286 posts
1 minute ago, SkaerKrow said:

The talk is that World of Tanks will actually phase out premium ammo within the next year or so, possibly changing it to “different but equal” option. The chances of it coming to World of Warships are...hell, this is Wargaming, so who knows.

The logical path should be to reduce damage associated with sub-caliber and HEAT rounds in WoT.  There actually is precedent in terms of behind armor effectiveness of sub-caliber projectiles and HEAT of the era encompassed by WoT.  Leave premium ammo in game -- but considerably reduce the damage a sub-caliber project or HEAT round does to a target it penetrates.  Currently the game mechanics -- mistakenly -- give premium rounds (APDS, HVAP, HEAT, etc) the same damage that full-caliber (non-premium) ammunition does to tanks that are penetrated. 

A little bit of research by WG on behind armor effectiveness of various projectiles types could have resolved this issue years ago.  

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,269 posts
6 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

Funny thing that... in a twisted logical way it would seem "oh we learned our lessons... we know it can work if we tweak this, tweak that.. I'm running into more than a few folks running the space camo in regular PvP randoms... which tells me there are people who will drop that kind of money into the game. It also tells WoWS/WG the same thing.

I think seeing the folks with the camo may have triggered the thought about "gold"/premium ammo... but in the case of the camo, same bonuses, so it might not be an appropriate link.

[REVY]
Members
6,027 posts
5,102 battles

Premium Ammo would absolutely destroy the World of Battleships meta, and like it or not, few people come to this game awed by the sight of destroyers.  Battleships are this game's mascots and if any ship could just punch through their armor at nearly any angle, they would be totally obsolete as damage tanks.  It would also begin to fracture the community with toxicity, which is not wise since WoWs doesn't have that big of a community to begin with.

I know one of the things that kills my interest in WoT: all the famous historical German Heavy tanks are complete trash.  Slow vehicles that can't defend themselves with their armor are useless at winning most games.

Edited by Sventex

[INTEL]
Members
6,632 posts
25,386 battles

Never played WOT. Premium ammo? Pay to win?

That would make me leave fast as it would break the game. Say no!

[PVE]
Members
2,172 posts
5,101 battles

Let me ask the OP...has HE heard anything about Prem ammo or is this just trolling for a reaction? :Smile_popcorn:

[DRACS]
Members
3,374 posts

Pretty certain the introduction of premium ammo into this game would cause a mass exodus and a huge mess of refund requests for premium time and ships. The ensuing drama and loss of client base would greatly overshadow any potential profits from the premium ammo. Hence, I really don't think WG would take that chance when WoWS is already a massive cash cow as is.

Members
634 posts
4,157 battles

I started with WoT (then WoWP, now WoWS) and it used to be that I'd carry mostly AP and a few HE and Gold rounds just in case I needed them. Now, if you're not showing gold ammo you're severely handicapped.

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,199 posts
2,029 battles

And what would you use? It's not like anyone made any super rounds for warships, and it's not like it would be a huge advantage.

The game doesn't revolve around the '1 sniper shot' method of tank games. You fire a broadside with 8-12 shells and most of them are going to miss.

Premium ammo isn't going to happen here, there's no way for the devs to actually get it in

Members
2,081 posts

WOT always had prem ammo but you had to pay for it with real $. Then about 2 years in, they made it so you could get it for in game money... TOTALLY ruined the game.

So if they ever try that with ships... GOOOD BYE FOREVER!

• Cool 1

[PS1HQ]
Members
621 posts

I'd buy It.  I've got a big boy wallet, and I miss the crying of the poor people back in WoT.  it's about all I miss from that game though.  

• Boring 1
  • Bad 6
  • Angry 1

Members
2,905 posts
1,365 battles
26 minutes ago, mohawkdriver said:

If Wargaming goes to premium ammo for WoWS, I'm out.

Honestly, HE feels like gold ammo, you aim, hit, dmg, then fire, fire, fire, fire, fire, fire, fire, fire, and it doesnt care about armor...