You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Blackadder2331

Help a newbie

31 comments in this topic

[GAMMA]
Members
16 posts
2,620 battles

Hi All,

I am new to the game been playing only a couple of weeks and really love it. I would first like to apologize for any newbie mistakes I have made and gotten any of you sunk I am a work in progress :) . So my question is I have just gotten my Cleveland and I  have all the mods however with the up tiering it is about to get will I have the option of picking the Tier 6 light cruiser Dallas or the Tier 6 Pensacola as my replacement or am I stuck with the Pensacola?  If I am stuck with the Pensacola should I then  go back and slug it out more with my Omaha to bank XP to buy the Dallas when it is ready? I really like light cruisers for their manuverability and good rate of fire so I want to go down the light cruiser tree but with the up tiering the Cleveland at tier 8 will put me up against tier 10 ships and captains and I am pretty sure I am not ready for that and will get blasted. Thanks.

• Cool 3

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,423 battles

An official announcement will be made before the split happens. We don't know 100% for sure which ship you'll get when Cleveland gets up-tiered to T8, just that you'll get a free T8 and the replacement T6 for it.

• Cool 2

[SPTR]
Members
3,457 posts
5,649 battles

You are in luck sir! I don't know for sure, but if WG kept their ways with the Soviet DD line aplits, you shall receieve the new T8 Cleveland with her original captain in it.

• Cool 1

[GAMMA]
Members
16 posts
2,620 battles

It just seems if they are taking our tier 6 ship and moving it we should get to choose which of the tier 6 replacements we get.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,118 posts
8,741 battles

I wouldn't worry about the split too much. If you are able to level up to  those ships while still doing well fine but focus on simply doing well first.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

I would bet we will get T8 Cleveland and T6 Pensacola if you have T6 Cleveland when the split happens.  Before you sell Omaha, I would play it enough to have 38k or so ship XP so when the split happens, you can immediately research Dallas.

If it works out this way.  Which it may not.

• Cool 1

Members
1,547 posts
9,796 battles

I stopped playing Cleveland after they nerfed it. I'm a bit puzzled at how she can become a tier 8 ship when we all know that tier 8s are almost always bottom tier these day ( 80%+ in my experience). A 14.6 km firing range almost guarantees that she will be out-ranged by every cruiser and BB in tier 10 and moving into range will be disastrous.

Does anyone know if they will increase her range? If not, I think I'll free XP to the tier 9 

• Cool 1

[GAMMA]
Members
16 posts
2,620 battles

I actually like the Cleveland at tier 6 yes the range and slow shells are a bit of a challenge but as long as you stay at decent range and find a friendly battleship to fall back on it works. My favorite so far was getting the Arsonist for burning down a Gneisenau that was fun. It is when I get stupid and close in the range I end up getting torpedoed or surrounded then I get pasted. At that point I usually just find the closest enemy and ram him and take one with me hehehehehehehe

[NDA]
Supertester
4,770 posts
13,557 battles

Welcome aboard sailor; May the wind be at your back, your enemies sail straight, the enemy torpedoes miss by a mile and RNG be always in your favor. Remember to watch the mini map, change course and speed and use AP on broadside ships at the water line. Don't get lost or sail alone, don't hug islands to close, don't show your broad side, push with your team, don't hang back in sniper mode and Have fun. Smoke on the water is dangerous, avoid friendly fire and don't feed the trolls. For any thing else use search or just ask.

The Sinksalot Fleet salutes you, 
See you top side.

P.s. the Youtube channels of iChase, Notser, Flamu, BIA World of Warships, Lord Zath Replay Theater and even the Mighty Jingles has really good content for WoWs. The more you learn the better a captain you will become and the less you will be surprised. Also reading Patch notes is useful.

• Cool 2

[GAMMA]
Members
16 posts
2,620 battles

Thank you for the advise I try and follow most of those and sink when I don't. I have watched many of their videos and they do help. Just got to stop being dumb every once in a while.

[NDA]
Supertester
4,770 posts
13,557 battles
16 minutes ago, Blackadder2331 said:

Thank you for the advise I try and follow most of those and sink when I don't. I have watched many of their videos and they do help. Just got to stop being dumb every once in a while.

Bad decisions come from a lack of experience and Experience comes from learning from bad decisions. It took almost 1000 games for me to figure out all the things I needed to know to survive and contribute to a battle. Yet I still screw up after 10k battles, mistakes happen. You have to be able to identify your mistakes, willing to criticizes your play and even ask for help from other players. One of the worst things in this game is the player who thinks they are better than they really are. But if you can see where you messed up, work to fix those mistakes the next time and can ask for help when the problem is beyond you than you have a high chance of improving. 

My final suggestion is to submit a replay of the ship you're having trouble with to someone who analyzes replays to improve the play and the player base. Hold on I have his contact info here somewhere....ah here it is.

I Summon you Smaug of the Seven Seas, Inventor of the Time Extension, Keeper of the Treasured Vault, Earl of Salt, Chancellor of Your Replays, Rumored Evil Genius, Master of Narai, Sage of the Commentary and Collector of Damage. @Lord_Zath Come forth and assist this player in their time of need. 

Now enable the replay feature, get a replay of a bad game and ask the above for review. It also helps if you have a gold coin when summoning. One of those gold foil covered chocolates coins seems to do the trick. 

• Cool 1

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,671 posts
15,160 battles

Yup I am happy to assist - just send me the replay!  I'll be live streaming this weekend, most likely Saturday, so if you get it to me today or tomorrow I can make sure to cover it :).

[GAMMA]
Members
16 posts
2,620 battles

I don't have any yet as I did not know about the replay feature when I have something of note I will gladly forward it to you for your amusement :)

1,542 posts
26 battles

Welcome to the game @Blackadder2331! We're here to offer help and advice anytime you need it! Don't worry about any newbie mistakes, we've all made those!

As others have said, don't worry too much about the split just yet. There will be plenty of assistance with it when the time comes :) 

• Cool 1

[STW-M]
Supertester
1,453 posts
5,488 battles

If you need any help with a specific ship, check out my How to Play Series on the USN Cruiser Line.  Some things are dated, but the tactics are still very valid:

The above should link you to the whole 11 video play list!

• Cool 1

[GAMMA]
Members
16 posts
2,620 battles

It is normal to have a team mate yell at you in chat for not providing him air cover when you have 15 planes shot down? We were both chasing down a carrier and he wanted me to turn towards him I was in my Cleveland he was in a French Cruiser to give him air cover when I was also under air attack.

[NAVY]
Members
999 posts
3,720 battles
23 hours ago, Blackadder2331 said:

Hi All,

I am new to the game been playing only a couple of weeks and really love it. I would first like to apologize for any newbie mistakes I have made and gotten any of you sunk I am a work in progress :) . So my question is I have just gotten my Cleveland and I  have all the mods however with the up tiering it is about to get will I have the option of picking the Tier 6 light cruiser Dallas or the Tier 6 Pensacola as my replacement or am I stuck with the Pensacola?  If I am stuck with the Pensacola should I then  go back and slug it out more with my Omaha to bank XP to buy the Dallas when it is ready? I really like light cruisers for their manuverability and good rate of fire so I want to go down the light cruiser tree but with the up tiering the Cleveland at tier 8 will put me up against tier 10 ships and captains and I am pretty sure I am not ready for that and will get blasted. Thanks.

Hello and welcome to WoWs. :Smile_honoring:

As of right now, we don't know the exact details of what will happen with the U.S. cruiser line split or when it will happen, but it is believed it will happen this year. As of right now, the speculation based on what little has been revealed by WG from the developer blog posts, and I'm going off what I've read on the forums here as well as YouTube videos I have watched (I'll post a couple of Noster's vids for you to watch... if you are pressed for time the second video titled "Maximize Line Splits" is much more informative), is that the split will happen at tier VI after the tier V Omaha.

The tier VI Cleveland will move up to tier VIII and the tier VII Pensacola will drop down to tier VI and the Dallas will also be added at tier VI. So.... if the information we have gotten is correct so far and doesn't change, if you have a tier VI Cleveland, you will get the tier VIII version of the Cleveland and the tier VI version of the Pensacola.

I've had the Cleveland for a long while and have the Pensacola unlocked but have not purchased it. I plan on waiting for the cruiser split. I am also going to buy back my Omaha and grind out some experience on her so I can unlock and purchase the tier VI Dallas when the split happens.

25 minutes ago, Blackadder2331 said:

It is normal to have a team mate yell at you in chat for not providing him air cover when you have 15 planes shot down? We were both chasing down a carrier and he wanted me to turn towards him I was in my Cleveland he was in a French Cruiser to give him air cover when I was also under air attack.

Unfortunately, in co-op, random, ranked, and even in operation battle modes, sometimes you will have teammates voice their opinion on what you should do in the game and they will berate you if they don't think you are doing something right.

He or she should have asked for your assistance before either of you came under air attack from the enemy CV because it is not the time to ask while you either of you are under attack. Just do your best. Everybody makes mistakes, even veteran players, and in this case, without a replay, it is hard to say if you did or not. However, I wouldn't worry about it. When I'm running my Cleveland and there are CVs, I tend to ask at the beginning of the match who needs AA and then provide AA cover for them. If nobody answers, I'll usually go with a BB or CA that I know does not have good AA defense or will do my best to support a DD.

Edited by daVinci761st

[GAMMA]
Members
16 posts
2,620 battles

Thank you for the info I guess my biggest question or thought is IF I am at tier 6 and the split is a tier 6 should I not have the OPTION of choosing either the Dallas or the Pensacola as my replacement? I have earned the XP to get to tier 6 so to me I should have the choice at that point to take EITHER the Dallas or the Pensalcola as my replacement depending on what line I want to go down. I have a good captain with good skills if I want the Dallas I am going to have to slog through more of the Omaha to get the XP to buy the Dallas and then I am going to have to have retrain my Captain where as if I had the choice between the two I should be able to just select Dallas and go down the light cruiser tree and not have to penalized especially since I was in a light cruiser (Cleveland) and want to stick with a light cruiser. Just my two cents.

• Cool 1

[NAVY]
Members
999 posts
3,720 battles
13 minutes ago, Blackadder2331 said:

Thank you for the info I guess my biggest question or thought is IF I am at tier 6 and the split is a tier 6 should I not have the OPTION of choosing either the Dallas or the Pensacola as my replacement? I have earned the XP to get to tier 6 so to me I should have the choice at that point to take EITHER the Dallas or the Pensalcola as my replacement depending on what line I want to go down. I have a good captain with good skills if I want the Dallas I am going to have to slog through more of the Omaha to get the XP to buy the Dallas and then I am going to have to have retrain my Captain where as if I had the choice between the two I should be able to just select Dallas and go down the light cruiser tree and not have to penalized especially since I was in a light cruiser (Cleveland) and want to stick with a light cruiser. Just my two cents.

That's a good question, and at this point, I don't think anyone is 100% sure. WG hasn't confirmed what will happen. That second video from Noster, "Maximize Line Splits," I posted talks about the previous two line splits, the Japanese DD line split and the Soviet DD line split, and how WG handled those. So that is how the speculation of the U.S. cruiser line split will happen.

I could be wrong, but I doubt us Cleveland owners will get both the tier VI Pensacola and the Dallas; however, it would be nice to be able to choose which when the Cleveland moves up to tier VIII.

So why the Pensacola instead of the Dallas?

Because the Pensacola is on the main line, which Noster explains in his video.

Edited by daVinci761st
  • Cool 1

[KM-KS]
Members
2 posts
1,789 battles
45 minutes ago, daVinci761st said:

Hello and welcome to WoWs. :Smile_honoring:

As of right now, we don't know the exact details of what will happen with the U.S. cruiser line split or when it will happen, but it is believed it will happen this year. As of right now, the speculation based on what little has been revealed by WG from the developer blog posts, and I'm going off what I've read on the forums here as well as YouTube videos I have watched (I'll post a couple of Noster's vids for you to watch... if you are pressed for time the second video titled "Maximize Line Splits" is much more informative), is that the split will happen at tier VI after the tier V Omaha.

The tier VI Cleveland will move up to tier VIII and the tier VII Pensacola will drop down to tier VI and the Dallas will also be added at tier VI. So.... if the information we have gotten is correct so far and doesn't change, if you have a tier VI Cleveland, you will get the tier VIII version of the Cleveland and the tier VI version of the Pensacola.

Hey buddy, so if I can summarize for those of us who are at work and shouldn't be on here, never mind watching YouTube Videos...

• So when the Cleveland goes to T8 on the alternate line, will captains who already have T6 Cleveland get the alternate-line ships that must be unlocked before?
  • Cool 1

[NAVY]
Members
999 posts
3,720 battles
Just now, TheYamato said:

Hey buddy, so if I can summarize for those of us who are at work and shouldn't be on here, never mind watching YouTube Videos...

• So when the Cleveland goes to T8 on the alternate line, will captains who already have T6 Cleveland get the alternate-line ships that must be unlocked before?

To my knowledge, no.

Using the below image as a reference, as of right now, what we understand, the Dallas and the Helena will not be unlocked. You will have to either use free XP or standard XP working down the line from the tier V Omaha to do so.

WoWs _ US Cruiser Line Split.jpg

[GAMMA]
Members
16 posts
2,620 battles

Yes that is my question.... Hehehehehe and I am at work luckily my buddy is head of our IT department so my usage and extra curricular activities like watching You Tube doesn't get reported :)