You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Helmet-cam footage of a pirate clearing operation in 2010 by Dutch Special Forces

8 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,435 battles

This video shows footage released by the Dutch Ministry of Defense back in 2010 of a raid by Dutch special forces on the German merchantman Taipan, back on April 5th, 2010.

The Taipan had been taken over by armed pirates and the Dutch guided missile frigate HNLMS Tromp was mobilized to free the ship. A small squad of then called Unit Interventie Mariniers (Currently named M-squad), a Dutch elite counter-terrorism unit, was flown in via NH-90 helicopter from the Tromp and liberated the Taipan. M-squad is part of MARSOF, the Dutch Marine counterpart of the Korps Commandotroepen, the Dutch land-based special forces.

The helmet cam footage shows part of the operation, narrated in Dutch by the team leader. English captions are available via Youtube's Closed Caption function.

dXaBCmw.jpg

HNLMS Tromp herself, a 6050 ton air-defense and command guided missile frigate of the De Zeven Provincien class, commissioned in 2003.

Gz3cETK.jpg

Another angle.

• Cool 4

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,128 posts
8,749 battles

I am not much on modern ships but that is a good looking warship. It seems odd that they called her a frigate when at 6000 tons she is closer to modern DD tonnage than to modern frigate tonnage. It is probably politics, it is easier to sell a frigate in the budget than a DD.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,435 battles
10 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

It is probably politics, it is easier to sell a frigate in the budget than a DD.

And role, I think. But your budget / politics is a large part of it. I do know that these De Zeven Provincien class multi purpose / multi role frigates have been called destroyers by other navies.

That said, I consider these the best looking modern warship:

GvsqwDZ.jpg

Holland class vessel HNLMS Holland, a 3750 ton off-shore patrol vessel. We operate four of these. Armed with a 120rpm 76mm, several MGs, a hilariously powerful communication and sensor suite for a ship this size and capable of carrying a helicopter.

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,671 posts
15,162 battles

Every time I see his left hand I think "I spotted an enemy!"  Thanks, Battlefield games!

Beta Testers
1,157 posts
7,835 battles

Good stuff.  I remember in the 80's when fast roping was just coming out and was still "secret".  Up until then we had been rappelling out of helicopters.  It was quite a transition into the fast roping because there is no connection to the rope or the aircraft, just the friction between your hands and gloves slowing the fall.  Lots of sprained and broken ankles and landing on top of one another before we really got the hang of it.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,435 battles
2 minutes ago, WolfofWarship said:

Made it look so easy 

Well, to be fair, we only saw part of the op and a few of the arrests, I'm sure the Dutch MoD cut out the more 'interesting' bits.