You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ArgosRising

My Stats Discussion (Will it always be this way?)

20 comments in this topic

Members
242 posts
608 battles

So below is a snip of my stats. It is hard to compare the stats as they are all different ships with different play styles that I played at different experience levels.

BUT this caught my eye as it seems to really illustrate a point that seems to really be true for me. The better I do personally, the less my team seems to win whereas if I play selflessly and for the team I seem to get more wins out of it. It seems like I am annoyingly caught in this spot right now where I can either go for good personal contributions to the team but end up losing more or I can help support the team more and win more... Is this a common trend? And eventually as my knowledge, skill, and awareness increases will I be able to attain great damage and personal stats while also getting a good win rate out of it? Just curious to know the experience of some of the older crowd and if they went through a similar thing in their early warships career. 

image.thumb.png.b1375fca35c640195d62e10a37b543f7.png

[HYDRO]
Members
1,349 posts
3,669 battles

As you play more you learn more. The learning curve of the game is relatively steep, but if you devote a bit of time and think while playing you will slowly start seeing results. While stats are an indicator of your improvement, they are not the only things you should consider however.

Do you feel like you are influencing more the game? Do you see more crucial plays on your part? Are you able to effectively kill red DDs or restrict an area? These are few of the things that while not often statistically present indicate you are improving. 

Now about the ships you are showing, the battles are just too few to reach any proper conclusion.  Bottom line, just keep enjoying the game, and if you spend a little time to familiarizing yourself better with the mechanics you will be seeing improvements; 374 battles is a relatively small sample besides.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,498 battles
21 minutes ago, ArgosRising said:

So below is a snip of my stats. It is hard to compare the stats as they are all different ships with different play styles that I played at different experience levels.

BUT this caught my eye as it seems to really illustrate a point that seems to really be true for me. The better I do personally, the less my team seems to win whereas if I play selflessly and for the team I seem to get more wins out of it. It seems like I am annoyingly caught in this spot right now where I can either go for good personal contributions to the team but end up losing more or I can help support the team more and win more... Is this a common trend? And eventually as my knowledge, skill, and awareness increases will I be able to attain great damage and personal stats while also getting a good win rate out of it? Just curious to know the experience of some of the older crowd and if they went through a similar thing in their early warships career. 

Always play to win. The rest will surely follow

• Cool 3

[SALVO]
Members
16,745 posts
17,328 battles
38 minutes ago, ArgosRising said:

Argos, it's all about doing damage at the right time and, often, doing in the right place.  But it's also often a case of how a battle progresses.

What you will notice over time is if you're a player who makes himself difficult to kill, who survives to the very end and continues to do good damage throughout the battle, you can often end up with really good damage games that occur in losses.  This happens because as there are fewer and fewer team mates competing for damage to the enemy team, the team mates will end up with higher damage production.

OTOH, there are often battles where your team will do quite well across the board with a lot of good contributors in a win.  And you'll see something like 7-10 players surviving and all of them having good base XPs.  In these battles, what's happening is that everyone's contributing and doing damage.  And you're unlikely to have a great damage game because everyone's taking a share from the enemy's HP pool.  Only rarely will you see someone have an outstanding damage game in this sort of battle.  Outstanding damage games tend to require long, drawn out battles that are usually fairly close for a long time, where the player doing the outstanding damage is one of the few who has survived right through to the end, and continues to be productive throughout the battle.  This sort of battle doesn't seem to be all that common, though not exactly rare either.

So, in the end, what do you do?  Do as custard suggests, which is what I suggest as well.  Just play to win.  Play your best as long as you're alive.  And let the damage numbers take care of themselves.

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

IMO, influencing the battle is the most important factor. I hover just under 50% win rate and I have poor stats; however, I have battles where I can see my contribution influencing the win greatly. 

Some battles, I can feel/sense the enemy denying me space to contribute...I.e. I'm spotted and targeted with no targets to spot or shoot at. I spend the entire battle pushing and kiting back trying to spot/aquire targets to no avail. Other battles, I see that I'm doing the exact same thing to the enemy. 

I would rather influence, to any degree, a win over having a huge damage game. I'm finding big damage/kill battles that I lose quite unsatisfying in the end. 

Members
242 posts
608 battles
32 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Argos, it's all about doing damage at the right time and, often, doing in the right place.  But it's also often a case of how a battle progresses.

What you will notice over time is if you're a player who makes himself difficult to kill, who survives to the very end and continues to do good damage throughout the battle, you can often end up with really good damage games that occur in losses.  This happens because as there are fewer and fewer team mates competing for damage to the enemy team, the team mates will end up with higher damage production.

OTOH, there are often battles where your team will do quite well across the board with a lot of good contributors in a win.  And you'll see something like 7-10 players surviving and all of them having good base XPs.  In these battles, what's happening is that everyone's contributing and doing damage.  And you're unlikely to have a great damage game because everyone's taking a share from the enemy's HP pool.  Only rarely will you see someone have an outstanding damage game in this sort of battle.  Outstanding damage games tend to require long, drawn out battles that are usually fairly close for a long time, where the player doing the outstanding damage is one of the few who has survived right through to the end, and continues to be productive throughout the battle.  This sort of battle doesn't seem to be all that common, though not exactly rare either.

So, in the end, what do you do?  Do as custard suggests, which is what I suggest as well.  Just play to win.  Play your best as long as you're alive.  And let the damage numbers take care of themselves.

I suppose it does make sense the way you have explained it. And I know that at the end of the day helping the team is the most important, but it's hard when you see these super-high damage games and are still chasing the kraken (which I am sure I will continue to do for a very, very long time). I think part of my struggle is that I've probably experimented with... maybe 50 ships now, and I still hadn't found a ship I really clicked with. Many times the ships I did the best in I actually had the least amount of fun sailing (like the Ishizuchi, I honestly get so BORED playing BBs lol)

After grinding the US CA/CL line to the Cleveland (despite being an awful Cruiser player and avoiding them like the plague) I think I found the first ship I really click with. So hopefully this will encourage me to settle in to just playing mostly one ship until I can see a steady improvement. I've improved a ton the last 2 months, but I still get into a Tier 8 battle and immediately realize I'm not fit to be there. T6 seems just right for me right now. The only crappy part of that is that the Cleveland will soon move to tier 8. Doubt I'll be ready for high-level play by the time it moves. 

(I also imagine I'll really like the Z-52 but the swapping between gun types and how the ships play has made me stall the KM DD line at the Maass, but... maybe one day :fish_sleep:)

[SALVO]
Members
16,745 posts
17,328 battles
29 minutes ago, ArgosRising said:

I suppose it does make sense the way you have explained it. And I know that at the end of the day helping the team is the most important, but it's hard when you see these super-high damage games and are still chasing the kraken (which I am sure I will continue to do for a very, very long time). I think part of my struggle is that I've probably experimented with... maybe 50 ships now, and I still hadn't found a ship I really clicked with. Many times the ships I did the best in I actually had the least amount of fun sailing (like the Ishizuchi, I honestly get so BORED playing BBs lol)

After grinding the US CA/CL line to the Cleveland (despite being an awful Cruiser player and avoiding them like the plague) I think I found the first ship I really click with. So hopefully this will encourage me to settle in to just playing mostly one ship until I can see a steady improvement. I've improved a ton the last 2 months, but I still get into a Tier 8 battle and immediately realize I'm not fit to be there. T6 seems just right for me right now. The only crappy part of that is that the Cleveland will soon move to tier 8. Doubt I'll be ready for high-level play by the time it moves. 

(I also imagine I'll really like the Z-52 but the swapping between gun types and how the ships play has made me stall the KM DD line at the Maass, but... maybe one day :fish_sleep:)

Don't worry about getting the Kraken.  It'll happen when it happens.  One thing that does help with Krakens is to always be ready to fire on wounded ships.  It's not kill stealing.  it's kill securing.  Just don't be that person who holds his fire in the hopes of getting the kill shot.  Just keep shooting the wounded ship until someone gets him.  Sometimes it'll be you, sometimes it'll be someone else.  It just depends on whose shots get there first, or who delivers a massive volley first.

As for getting bored playing BBs, that's a matter of patience.  I guess you don't have any.  So I'm also doubting that you find playing IJN DDs all that fun either, since they also require boatloads of patience.

As for the German DD line, trust me, it definitely gets better.  And you don't have to wait for the Z-52.  The tier 9 Z-46 is a dream to play.  I didn't particularly like the tier 8 German DD much because I hate the 150mm guns.  They're too slow firing for my taste in DD guns.  I prefer smaller, faster firing guns on my DDs for counter DD work.

• Cool 1

[PIZZA]
Members
716 posts
7,946 battles

More you win the more there will be total potatoes-tomatoes in your team. There are some cutters which limits potatoe numbers in your team but I think it is about 57-58% winrate.

Members
17,854 posts
5,099 battles
2 hours ago, ArgosRising said:

The better I do personally, the less my team seems to win whereas if I play selflessly and for the team I seem to get more wins out of it. 

Part of that is taking what you said and switching it around.

When your team is winning, you've got more competition for damage. Important enemy to kill? You'll never be the only one shooting at it, and some targets will be sunk or near death before you get to start landing solid salvoes.

When your team is losing, teammates are ignoring important ships. You'll often have enemies all to yourself, because your (losing) team is all huddled behind some rocks or otherwise out of play.

IOW, you play at more or less the same level, but the actions of your teammates affects the personal quality of your opportunities. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,748 posts
11,365 battles

WTR is heavily damage weighted and doesn't really act as a good representation of how well you support your team, only how well you damage farm.  

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,356 posts
11,507 battles

I think your rushing in too fast with the wicks and dying early?

If so, cange back a little. Destroyers at any tier are game changers the linger they stay alive.

[-K-]
Supertester
3,088 posts
6,829 battles

Dear OP,

You don't have nearly enough games in the ships you listed to be able to establish any kind of a correlation between doing damage and winning.  I will say that my experience over 6,000+ games is that the single most important part of winning is the ability to accurately and effectively shoot the red team.  I.e. inflict damage to the bad guys.

• Cool 1

[BIAS]
Members
3,073 posts
9,051 battles

300 games was when I was first aware of stats. I didn't  start getting a good handle on game mechanics until 1000 games. I didn't start to get a good handle on strategy until around 2k games. 

Always play for the win. Don't be a camper, but play for self preservation. You can't affect anything when you are dead. If you see that the side of the map you are on will get overrun, don't throw yourself away, delay, kite, stay alive and give e your team on the other side a chance to do something and not get flanked. 

Members
17,854 posts
5,099 battles
12 minutes ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

Dear OP,

You don't have nearly enough games in the ships you listed to be able to establish any kind of a correlation between doing damage and winning.  I will say that my experience over 6,000+ games is that the single most important part of winning is the ability to accurately and effectively shoot the red team.  I.e. inflict damage to the bad guys.

Agreed. If you can't do that, being in the right place at the right time just makes you the right target.

Members
242 posts
608 battles
23 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I think your rushing in too fast with the wicks and dying early?

If so, cange back a little. Destroyers at any tier are game changers the linger they stay alive.

This was I think the very first line I played. This gameplay isn't representative of how I play now. At the time you are 100% correct that is what I did. I just used this as an example because it was painted so clearly for what I was thinking was a trend for me.

12 minutes ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

You don't have nearly enough games in the ships you listed to be able to establish any kind of a correlation between doing damage and winning

Right, obviously I know the sample size is super low. I wasn't saying anything regarding these ships specifically, just using this image of the comparison to illustrate a point that seems to exist in general for me. These ships were played at totally different times, tiers and styles so I'm not trying to make a 1:1 comparison, just using this as it in a way illustrates my point there. 

42 minutes ago, Crucis said:

As for getting bored playing BBs, that's a matter of patience.  I guess you don't have any.

This could absolutely be true. Although now that I give it some thought I didn't find the Ishizuchi boring when I played it, more that it was easy and I didn't feel challenged. I don't think I found BBs boring until I sat down in the New Mexico. It feels like the battle is half over before I reach the action zone, I'm not personally a fan of that, I suppose. 

Members
242 posts
608 battles
3 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

but play for self preservation

I have definitely been trying to do this (well recently, anyway), but I sometimes stress over when I should be playing to survive and when I should be taking extra damage to help send a push forward. I haven't found where the line is on that yet, I think. 

[-K-]
Supertester
5,153 posts
8,946 battles
1 minute ago, ArgosRising said:

This could absolutely be true. Although now that I give it some thought I didn't find the Ishizuchi boring when I played it, more that it was easy and I didn't feel challenged. I don't think I found BBs boring until I sat down in the New Mexico. It feels like the battle is half over before I reach the action zone, I'm not personally a fan of that, I suppose. 

Battleships get significantly faster at T7/T8. It's a double-edged sword though. You're able to reposition more easily, but it also means you can get OUT of position if you're not paying attention. To maximize a BB's potential, you have to have a lot of forethought and planning. For what it's worth, I also lack the requisite patience to play BBs often. The immobility and inconsistency of the guns can be absolutely infuriating. 

[KP]
Members
2,020 posts
18,497 battles
3 hours ago, ArgosRising said:

OP I would listen to what @Pope_Shizzleand @Kombat_W0MBAT have to say they are 2 of the best players on the North American Server. They have both scienced the crap out of the game and dispense there knowledge to those willing to listen.

[DRACS]
Members
3,389 posts

Winning is the single most important thing in this game. Always always do what you can to achieve that goal. The rest is secondary.

Members
242 posts
608 battles
3 minutes ago, IronMike11B4O said:

OP I would listen to what @Pope_Shizzleand @Kombat_W0MBAT have to say they are 2 of the best players on the North American Server. They have both scienced the crap out of the game and dispense there knowledge to those willing to listen.

Thanks, I guess..? lol