Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crazyferret23777

Question about IJN BB Kii

11 comments in this topic

Members
207 posts
4,266 battles

How good is the AA on the Kii I've seen some reviews were it is in the NC range of good? I have a 17pt Cpt and will be using the aa mod in the 3rd slot to go with bft and Aft. Is it worth the 4 points to go for manual AA? I like my Amagi very much but I needed a premium IJN to train Captains and print credits. Thanks

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,627 posts
14,017 battles

Kii's AA is very competitive at Tier VIII.

These are the AA values for Kii & Alabama, with BFT+AFT, AAGM2 upgrade installed.

Kii

25mm - 4.4km at 124 DPS

40mm - 5.1km at 211 DPS

100mm - 7.2km at 200 DPS

Alabama

20mm - 2.5km at 225 DPS

40mm - 5.1km at 229 DPS

127mm - 7.2km at 181 DPS

My NC isn't in AA spec ATM, but Alabama & NC have slight differences, one has *slightly* better short range DPS, the other has *slightly better medium range DPS instead.

Take note of the AA ranges, DPS, and where Kii dumps that DPS further out than the USN BBs.  While Tirpitz, Bismarck players are whining about CVs, you'll be just like the Americans.  Just happily strolling through the park like it's a nice sunny day with kittens running through a field of bright flowers.

I remember not long after Kii came out, I was talking about how 'Bama and NC AA was the best BB AA for Tier VIII, "Hands down."  Then someone corrected me and said, "Kii has better AA."

"F--k off, no way an IJN BB has better AA than a high tier USN one."

"Look it up in your port, you said you got Kii yourself."

[Checks Port values with same build]

:Smile_smile:

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[HAG]
Beta Testers
317 posts
4,072 battles

It is definitely not as good as NC but she is a very solid ship I absolutely love mine. As a a tier 8 premium she wakes good money as well. Her torpedoes are also a nice little bonuse but they are short range so don't try to line up torpedo attacks.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,567 posts
3,739 battles

The Kii can have 220dps on it's long range AA once you add in the flag.

With manual AA the long range shoots out 440dps on top of that the rest of the Kii AA is in its mid range AA.

Combined, it makes the Kii a very costly ship to attack or go nearby.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,567 posts
3,739 battles
3 minutes ago, justdags said:

It is definitely not as good as NC but she is a very solid ship I absolutely love mine. As a a tier 8 premium she wakes good money as well. Her torpedoes are also a nice little bonuse but they are short range so don't try to line up torpedo attacks.

Actually the Kii is in some ways better than the NC.

The long range AA on the Kii is superior and manual AA further sets it apart. Then you have the rest of its 300+ dps AA in its mid range AA unlike the NC that has a good chunk of its dps in it's short range AA.

The Kii is better at minimizing or eliminating bombing runs before the payload is dropped.

[RKLES]
Members
7,104 posts
8,758 battles
1 hour ago, Vader_Sama said:

Actually the Kii is in some ways better than the NC.

The long range AA on the Kii is superior and manual AA further sets it apart. Then you have the rest of its 300+ dps AA in its mid range AA unlike the NC that has a good chunk of its dps in it's short range AA.

The Kii is better at minimizing or eliminating bombing runs before the payload is dropped.

Can the Yamato be set up to do that kind of thing? I have it mostly set for AA/ Secondary Build. And it does pretty well, but to be able to totally troll enemy CVs would be fun if it’s possible lol.

[SIM]
Members
2,438 posts
4,080 battles

As Haze pointed out, her AA package is very effective. In my experience, equal or lower tier carriers will not bother running more than one strike sortie against a Kii. The amount of AA firepower that it has tends to encourage them to pick on easier targets.

[NSF]
Beta Testers
4,976 posts
5,702 battles

WG went off the deep end and gave her a completely nonsensical refit that doesn’t play to the normal strengths of the entire rest of the line.

People still harp on Mutsu, even though it’s playstyle is consistent with the rest of the line.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles
6 minutes ago, Big_Spud said:

WG went off the deep end and gave her a completely nonsensical refit that doesn’t play to the normal strengths of the entire rest of the line.

People still harp on Mutsu, even though it’s playstyle is consistent with the rest of the line.

I actually enjoy the Mutsu a lot when I play her.  I seem to do very high damage in her on a consistent basis.  Her 16" guns at tier 6 are very punchy.

[TBOW]
Members
1,184 posts
10,447 battles

As someone who does CVs, I have the Kii myself, therefore I know about the AA.  I hold off attacking it like I do USN BBs in general till later in the game, when their AA is beat up.  Kii takes planes out before they can drop their payload, the NC and Bama tend to take more planes out after the payload is dropped.  Either way it is risky to go after those till their AA has been taken down a notch or two.  

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,567 posts
3,739 battles
5 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Can the Yamato be set up to do that kind of thing? I have it mostly set for AA/ Secondary Build. And it does pretty well, but to be able to totally troll enemy CVs would be fun if it’s possible lol.

It's long range AA dps is lacking compared to the Kii, so it won't wither away an air attack squad in time, but can begin to chew them up with the mid range AA once they go in for a drop and make an attempt to leave.

Sign in to follow this