Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

17 comments in this topic

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,043 battles

Game needs some incentive for focus fire.

Easy way to do it under the current mechanics and in game functions is to give a % boost to rewards to anyone damages a target within X seconds before the target dies. To make the function of the new reward incentive absolutely clear, the bonus is activated if  2 or more people pings (F3, focus fire quick com key) the target. 

The point of the ping is to alert teammates. People on the team might be slow reaction diabetic sloths, but even that sort of player will be alerted if multiple people pings the same target all at once.

Edited by NeutralState
  • Cool 4

Members
1,030 posts
95 battles

Good idea, I think. It should encourage better team play if you will get focus fire bonuses. 

[SYN]
Members
4,525 posts
11,433 battles
46 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

Game needs some incentive for focus fire.

Easy way to do it under the current mechanics and in game functions is to give a % boost to rewards to anyone damages a target within X seconds before the target dies. To make the function of the new reward incentive absolutely clear, the bonus is activated if  2 or more people pings (F3, focus fire quick com key) the target. 

The point of the ping is to alert teammates. People on the team might be slow reaction diabetic sloths, but even that sort of player will be alerted if multiple people pings the same target all at once.

Nice idea, but there's that issue about leading horses to water.

There are apparently a lot of horses on this ranch who aren't thirsty.

[WORX]
Members
1,642 posts
12,695 battles

IMO doing away with the DMG focus reward system,  and in its place adding a more team focusing reward system is a better way to go. You can add focus fire to it but I think what would end up happening is more angry BB drivers. Along with more fire cruisers hoarding DMG and focus fire rewards. Not a good idea I think. Leave comments below Cheers !

• Bad 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,294 battles

I don't think that there's any need for this.  In most of the battles I'm in, people seem more than willing to focus on the targets I call out.  Of course, it might partly be because I don't just ping any old target just because I can.  I always prioritize badly wounded targets that most players are more than willing to engage if they're within reasonable range and have a good shot.  

Now if you're talking about pinging some DD that's 17 km away from most of the people you want to fire at him, then I think that you're being unreasonable.  That kind of shot is generally just not worth taking because the chances of scoring a hit are too low to make it worth taking.  But if you're talking about a shot on a DD that's only 8-10 km away, that's a different story.  That's the kind of shot that any player with decent aim ought to be able to get at least 1-2 hits out of a full volley.

In the end, it's all about making good choices about what targets to call out.  Call out the most damaged ones that are within a reasonable range first, and work your way back from there.  And DDs that get spotted inside of 10 km usually become priority targets no matter what, if only to drive them off with a couple of solid hits.

[TBW]
Members
6,338 posts
11,884 battles

Now we're talking. Bombastic!

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,294 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

IMO doing away with the DMG focus reward system,  and in its place adding a more team focusing reward system is a better way to go. You can add focus fire to it but I think what would end up happening is more angry BB drivers. Along with more fire cruisers hoarding DMG and focus fire rewards. Not a good idea I think. Leave comments below Cheers !

I disagree.  You win the battle by sinking all of the enemy ships.  That requires you to do damage and get kills.

Furthermore, I don't like the idea of team based rewards one god damned bit, because all it'll do is reward bad players for playing terribly, while punishing good players who play their heart out.  And that's exactly the wrong way to do things if you want to reward good play.

[WORX]
Members
1,642 posts
12,695 battles
54 minutes ago, Crucis said:

disagree.  You win the battle by sinking all of the enemy ships.  That requires you to do damage and get kills.

In Epicenter, Domination mode its more about control of the caps to win. I've seen players getting krakens AND top the dmg board in a losing effort so your statement is not truthful. i been in games in where we won on pts not in DMG or kills earned.

59 minutes ago, Crucis said:

urthermore, I don't like the idea of team based rewards one god damned bit, because all it'll do is reward bad players for playing terribly, while punishing good players who play their heart out.  And that's exactly the wrong way to do things if you want to reward good play.

WOWP has a good team based system i dont see any good players  being "punished" for what they done in game.  However if you like the selfish DMG oriented  reward system that is your opinion i respect it. Imo the current system doesn;t reward good play to secure the win as a team. It just rewards bad habits.  Can you provide an example of players being punished for rewarding good teamplay? Cheers!

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,294 battles
5 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

In Epicenter, Domination mode its more about control of the caps to win. I've seen players getting krakens AND top the dmg board in a losing effort so your statement is not truthful. i been in games in where we won on pts not in DMG or kills earned.

WOWP has a good team based system i dont see any good players  being "punished" for what they done in game.  However if you like the selfish DMG oriented  reward system that is your opinion i respect it. Imo the current system doesn;t reward good play to secure the win as a team. It just rewards bad habits.  Can you provide an example of players being punished for rewarding good teamplay? Cheers!

A.  Unless a cap is unopposed, you don't take caps without driving the enemy off or outright destroying them.  And that's all about damage.

B. I don't play WoWP, so your example is irrelevant to me.

C. The current system most certainly does reward good play because people who have played well as a team will have earned XP in the various existing ways; including spotting, capping, kills, AND damage.  You do not have to do huge amounts of damage to earn very good XP rewards, because it's not all about raw damage.  It's about how much damage as a percentage of the target ship's total HP did you do.  If you're in a DD and you take out a couple of enemy DDs all on your own, you will earn excellent XP.

D. I don't trust any system that's going to reward bad players for doing jack squat in the name of team work.  All those systems do is reward bad play at the expense of good play.  Damage based rewards OTOH are a tangible, measurable system that I can trust, along with rewarding other tangible, measurable, like kills, spotting, capping, and so on.

[WORX]
Members
1,642 posts
12,695 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

B. I don't play WoWP, so your example is irrelevant to me.

Yup this is when I told myself, Conversation is over... Now I wish you could see the difference, this could be a better system to reward good play not just bad habits of DMG farming.  Reward fleet as a whole for behaviors of securing the win by class, excelling in what there class ships do to secure a win. Since you haven;t played  WOWP then there is no way I can advocate what the whole community is asking for.

1 hour ago, Crucis said:

The current system most certainly does reward good play because people who have played well as a team will have earned XP in the various existing ways; including spotting, capping, kills, AND damage. 

I have heard about that, but again DDs are at a disadvantage in the DMG system. The higher tier you go, DD play is more spotting, capping then DMG. Using your words about the current system

1 hour ago, Crucis said:

You do not have to do huge amounts of damage to earn very good XP rewards, because it's not all about raw damage.  It's about how much damage as a percentage of the target ship's total HP did you do.  If you're in a DD and you take out a couple of enemy DDs all on your own, you will earn excellent XP.

My argument to this is no wounder people complain of Yoloing/dying DDs in the first 5 min. That doesn;t ensure a win but you made a lot of XP.

2 hours ago, Crucis said:

D. I don't trust any system that's going to reward bad players for doing jack squat in the name of team work.  All those systems do is reward bad play at the expense of good play.  Damage based rewards OTOH are a tangible, measurable system that I can trust, along with rewarding other tangible, measurable, like kills, spotting, capping, and so on.

Since you haven;t experience WOWP and what they have done to make your plane type/ability that rewards your type of plane abilities to the over all successful win of a battle as a team.  This is not a trust issue, Its a lack of experience. Now, I wish we can have a more detailed discussion but like I noted in the beginning of the post. Its not possible.. Other then trust issues, if you like this system its cool. Others are getting bored of it because of bad habits it rewards. Cheers !

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,294 battles
2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Yup this is when I told myself, Conversation is over... Now I wish you could see the difference, this could be a better system to reward good play not just bad habits of DMG farming.  Reward fleet as a whole for behaviors of securing the win by class, excelling in what there class ships do to secure a win. Since you haven;t played  WOWP then there is no way I can advocate what the whole community is asking for.

I have heard about that, but again DDs are at a disadvantage in the DMG system. The higher tier you go, DD play is more spotting, capping then DMG. Using your words about the current system

My argument to this is no wounder people complain of Yoloing/dying DDs in the first 5 min. That doesn;t ensure a win but you made a lot of XP.

Since you haven;t experience WOWP and what they have done to make your plane type/ability that rewards your type of plane abilities to the over all successful win of a battle as a team.  This is not a trust issue, Its a lack of experience. Now, I wish we can have a more detailed discussion but like I noted in the beginning of the post. Its not possible.. Other then trust issues, if you like this system its cool. Others are getting bored of it because of bad habits it rewards. Cheers !

1. Ship Type, not ship class.  BB, CA, DD, CV are ship types.  Iowa, Kongo, Cleveland, Farragut are ship classes.  

2. I disagree that the higher in tier you go, the more DD play is about spotting and capping.  I'd argue that those things definitely matter.  But so does counter DD work, particularly when you're in a DD that can perform that task, which is pretty much any DDs that aren't IJN torp boats.  Counter DD work is particularly valuable, IMO.  It's pretty good for the XP, but it's also good for the team as a whole because you're presumably doing it while screening for your team's heavier ships and/or capping.

3. I don't see the 3rd paragraph as being at all about yoloing and so on.   I never yolo.  I pride myself on having a good survival rate even in DDs where I'm doing a lot of counter DD work.  It's possible on occasion that I may die early, sometimes after taking an enemy DD with me, but that's NEVER my intent.  My intent is to win and survive the battle, and maybe take out some DDs in the process, as well as doing damage to other enemy ships and capping and spotting and so on.

4.  For me, it *IS* a trust issue.  I don't trust WG to not bleep up the XP system, because I do not have much faith in what they see as the roles of each ship type, and what each ship type "should" do.  Heck, saying that I don't have much faith in that is being overly generous.  I should probably have said that I have no faith in this.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,793 posts
3,942 battles

@Crucis - your Para #2 is interesting, as it implies an IJN DD which can torpedo destroyers is globally inferior as a destroyer-killer to a main-line PA DD, which cannot. While torpedoes are by no means a destroyer's main anti-destroyer weapon across an entire battle, they are definitely a useful interdictor when the target is (by the nature of the task they are performing) confined within a limited space.

Or is it your experience that the Pan-Asian boats are, tier for tier, such superior gunboats relative to their IJN counterparts that it makes up for this deficiency?

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
567 posts

No this will only make everyone fire at as many ships as possible one shot makes you eligible to share the wealth. The Farmers will exploit this to no end. Make the game even more Farmable.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,294 battles
2 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

@Crucis - your Para #2 is interesting, as it implies an IJN DD which can torpedo destroyers is globally inferior as a destroyer-killer to a main-line PA DD, which cannot. While torpedoes are by no means a destroyer's main anti-destroyer weapon across an entire battle, they are definitely a useful interdictor when the target is (by the nature of the task they are performing) confined within a limited space.

Or is it your experience that the Pan-Asian boats are, tier for tier, such superior gunboats relative to their IJN counterparts that it makes up for this deficiency?

Cthulhu, I just don't see torpedoes as consistently effective DDvDD brawling weapons.  This doesn't mean that a hit by a torp (and particularly IJN torps) won't massively damage or kill any DD.  It means that torps are by and large difficult to get hits with on enemy  DDs.  Oh, they're great to have to spam into smoke when you know that there's an enemy DD within.    But I think that it's more important to have good guns with which to engage DDs than it is to have torps to use against them.  Mind you, it's nice to have both, but sometimes that's not an option as with PA DDs.  And if you're in a PA DD and brawling with a DD that can  torp you, you need to be aware of that threat.  But then again, if you were any DD facing a DD that could torp you in a brawl, you'd have to be aware of that threat, so it's not like that's anything unique.

As for PA DDs and how they compare with IJN counterparts, first off, always put the Akizuki in a different category.  It's not really an IJN torp boat.  It's just different, an IJN gunboat that can hold its own against pretty much any other gun boat in the game.  Also, it's been a long time since I've played the tier 8 and 9 IJN DD's, since before the line splits, and as I recall, they weren't all that great with their guns.  But I was watching a video earlier today where a Yugomo had a lot better RofF than I recall out of a tier 9 IJN DD, but still IJN DDs aren't noted for their fast turning turrets, so I'd be wary of being too scared of IJN DDs not named Akizuki.

One thing that I've found to be a good tactic for dealing with torp boats is to try to get on their stern and stay there as much as possible.  They can't fire torps at you if you're on their butts.  Of course, that's not always easy, but the payoff is worth the  attempt.

[RIPQP]
Members
435 posts
12,269 battles
16 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

In Epicenter, Domination mode its more about control of the caps to win.

Those capture points aren't nearly as important as you think they are. They can be lost and retaken, but your ships will not respawn.

[WORX]
Members
1,642 posts
12,695 battles
2 hours ago, grumpymunky said:

Those capture points aren't nearly as important as you think they are. They can be lost and retaken, but your ships will not respawn.

I would have to disagree with this statement. True caps are contested, won ,or lost. The other equation is the ships advantage over time, who has less ship loss along with the caps over the majority of the match time, has the high chance of winning. I have seen a matches lost in less then 10 min because no one capped.  I have also seen matches where there where green caps but not the ships advantage ends up in a loss. Either way in matches during Epicenter or domination, either

1.  A total neglect of caps happen, when it does in the long run is a loss. 

I also understand that not everyone is going to see things the games way. Caps to me are very important for win in the long runs, but I cant ignore the ships adv over time along with the caps to seal the win. I liked the feed back, Cheers!

Sign in to follow this