You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_1204_

Nelson or Musashi... Decision of the day (month)

29 comments in this topic

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
917 posts
2,119 battles

Now that I have premium time I am quickly approaching the 375k free xp needed for Nelson.

• I was able to cap a Missouri in its final days, so I already have a tier 9 credit earner.
  • I also have the Kobayashi camo on Roma, so thats 2 good sources of credits.
  • I have the Hood and Mutsu, so crew trainer isn't really a factor
  • I love the forward facing turrets. Dunkerque is so much fun!
  • Musashi has more History, and is probably gonna get removed first
  • Got 200 days premium, an [edited]load of camo, and lots of flags. Eventually Ill probably will have both

Im really leaning hard towards Nelson, because of zombie heal and turrets... But wondering what the general stance is. :Smile_honoring:

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,144 posts
8,762 battles

Get the Nelson, the Musashi will be around for a long time.

• Cool 2

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

Nelson. 

I have all 3 of the Free XP ships.  All 3 are worth it.  But, in your situation, I would definitely choose to purchase Nelson first.  Here's why:

1. Nelson is more fun.  She offers a play style that is a bit more unique than her Free XP competitors.  Missouri is similar to Iowa, and Musashi is similar to Yamato.  Nelson, however, is a bit of a different animal...especially in the British line.  She is still a fire-breathing dragon, however.
  2. Nelson has been in the tech tree longer than Musashi, which arrived fairly recently.  If one were to be removed from availability, I would bet Nelson would go first.
  3. Hood can be a bit painful to play as a captain trainer.  Mutsu is easier (I have both, thanks to Santa crates).
  4. Nelson is more fun.  I may have said that already.
  5. Nelson is 375K Free XP, so you can get her very soon.  Instant gratification.  Musashi will require another 375K.  Ain't no one got time for that.
Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 3

[TBW]
Members
6,319 posts
11,869 battles
25 minutes ago, IWantedOption1 said:

I love the forward facing turrets. Dunkerque is so much fun!

The turrets are not super firing or stacked so they play a little different, but Nelson in the hands of some one who enjoys it is better than Little Sister. You can get Yamato in the tech tree. You can't fire all gun until angled. I love ships with 360 degree turrets though. It surprises people that you can swing and still get all guns to bear, bare, or is that beer?

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
471 posts
5,426 battles

Nelson. Not only can you get the Yamato for free, you *might* get more use out of Nelson because you can run it in operations. I have Nelson/Missouri/Yamato so I can say I will never get Musashi as long as the FreeXP can be used to upgrade ships quickly.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
583 posts
9,214 battles

It's as others have pointed out, if a ship were to be removed, Nelson would be the most likely to go first since she's been around for a small while now.  You can use her in UF and Nar (when they make it available again) as well, and she will do quite well in them.

I'd go with Nelson.  Then use her a lot in UF to rack up FXP for Musashi. :Smile_playing:

[TF16B]
Members
8,052 posts
16,991 battles
33 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

It surprises people that you can swing and still get all guns to bear, bare, or is that beer?

Bear; this is correct; as in bearing’ to a target.

Bare; as in; ‘Eeek! I forgot my camo! I’m naked!’

Beer; ‘...hiccup...’

27 minutes ago, HeathenForay said:

I will never get Musashi as long as the FreeXP can be used to upgrade ships quickly.

I will never get a Yamato because I loathe popular ships; for whatever reason can’t seem to use them worth a large rodent’s bottom anyway; and because I already have Musashi; which like Prinz Eugen; I always said I would get if it became available. That it is in the 1942 config is simply icing on the cake.

(Unless there’s a KM cruiser split, I’ll never get a Hipper either.)

• Funny 2

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,708 posts
11,324 battles

Nelson. It's more fun and it's unique. Plus, it was added before Mushy, so it's likely to be removed before Mushy.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,319 posts
11,869 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Bear; this is correct; as in bearing’ to a target.

Bare; as in; ‘Eeek! I forgot my camo! I’m naked!’

Beer; ‘...hiccup...’

Thanks, I asked Cortana but Cortana knew not. I then didn't want to spend anymore time on it. Damn, I am only 55 and I can't remember basic 7th grade English any more. I'll try this off the top of my head: is, are, was, were, be, am, being, been, have, has, had, do, did, does, shall, should, will, would, may, might, must, can, could. I had to think about it. The hardest part was i was forgetting the comma's. Did I get an A?

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
1 hour ago, HeathenForay said:

Nelson. Not only can you get the Yamato for free, you *might* get more use out of Nelson because you can run it in operations. I have Nelson/Missouri/Yamato so I can say I will never get Musashi as long as the FreeXP can be used to upgrade ships quickly.

I will say to be devils advocate to this point, that being a T9, Musashi is a Yamato with easier MM and does better on average as a result. Yamato will never face ships weaker than T8, Musashi gets to go take on T7's. Now Musashi should be a T10 premium but this advantage makes it the BB with the best MM in the game as numbers wise there's really only one BB IMO it can draw that's clearly better(Conqueror) and it will draw it with not all too common frequency. Most BB's it will draw even some of the T10's on average are simply inferior. So Musashi is better by default than almost every BB it will ever fight(as in it does more damage, destroys more ships and wins more on average). Nelson while having the best T7 numbers wise will end up drawing T9's that are superior to it and T8's that are largely peers with it give or take a bit. I mean these are both among the most OP premiums in the game but Musashi gives you a unique advantage no other BB will.  

The whole "Nelson will be gone sooner" argument is compelling if you really want the ship. I will say in regards to the forward turret configuration while I don't have the ship as an opponent that long bow makes for a pretty easy target when you're facing broadside. I have every other RN BB premium except her and I think they are all really good. 

Edited by Aristotle83
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,907 posts
12,441 battles

I have both. I enjoy both. A lot.

• Cool 1

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,129 posts
10,022 battles
8 minutes ago, Lert said:

I have both. I enjoy both. A lot.

This. QFT

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,582 posts
14,010 battles

The amusing thing is playing Musashi and seeing a Nelson.  There is absolutely nothing about Nelson that she can do to save herself from Musashi's gunnery.  That Mega Repair Party will not save her from the Mega Citadels she'll eat from 460mm AP.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
842 posts
2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The amusing thing is playing Musashi and seeing a Nelson.  There is absolutely nothing about Nelson that she can do to save herself from Musashi's gunnery.  That Mega Repair Party will not save her from the Mega Citadels she'll eat from 460mm AP.

Yeah, this is one of the big idiocies of the Musashi - the fact that T7 ships can be up against 18.1" guns with 14.8k alpha damage and the ability to overmatch 32mm of armor.

That's overmatching the vast majority of T7 cruiser AND BB armor. Not just bow/stern, but virtually all deck and upper hull armor.  Only the Gneisenau and Sharnhorst have sufficient deck armor to prevent an overmatch.

In short, the Musashi is given a free go directly at every T7 CA's citadel armor, regardless of angle that it hits at. And only the upper belt of T7 BBs won't overmatch (plus the aforementioned decks), so the Musashi gets a free chance at T7 BBs citadels in anything except straight broadside angles.

That's severely OverPowered, and yet another reason the Musashi should NEVER be a T9.  Or, at least, should have MM modified so it it can NEVER see T7s.

Frankly, the overmatch mechanic itself is a bad idea - getting to ignore positioning merely because you have bigger guns is nothing short of a recipe for stupid play.  At best, the "overmatch" should do nothing except eliminate autobounce.  

Edited by EAnybody

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,361 posts
10,151 battles

OP:

While I respectfully disagree with those who keep saying Nelson is so much more fun than Musashi (that only applies if you like all guns forward ships which many of us don't) I do agree with those who also say get it because most likely it will go away before Musashi will. You already said you like the all guns forward ships so Nelson seems like the best choice. It's cheaper, it will probably go sooner, and you like that kind of play. Win win for you.

Just be aware if you come up against a Musashi it will trash you though LOL. Nelson is pretty weak from a played against perspective. Sort of a one trick pony. Bow on forward and back because if you get any kind of shot at it's side the thing is a citadelpalooza slot machine for you. With Musashi you don't even need a side shot.You just punch right through it's bow and it goes poof. LOL

Nelson has no appeal to me and that goes beyond it's being all guns forward. Musashi on the other hand is a freaking T9 Yamato. Just a little less accurate and with horribad AA. But it still has those lolpen guns and it is just unfair vs T7 ships LOL. It is a fun ship to play for me (and I have Yamato too) but I like traditional BB's and big salvo AP damage. But everyone is different.

Best of luck with whichever you go with. :Smile_honoring:

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,582 posts
14,010 battles
48 minutes ago, EAnybody said:

Yeah, this is one of the big idiocies of the Musashi - the fact that T7 ships can be up against 18.1" guns with 14.8k alpha damage and the ability to overmatch 32mm of armor.

That's overmatching the vast majority of T7 cruiser AND BB armor. Not just bow/stern, but virtually all deck and upper hull armor.  Only the Gneisenau and Sharnhorst have sufficient deck armor to prevent an overmatch.

In short, the Musashi is given a free go directly at every T7 CA's citadel armor, regardless of angle that it hits at. And only the upper belt of T7 BBs won't overmatch (plus the aforementioned decks), so the Musashi gets a free chance at T7 BBs citadels in anything except straight broadside angles.

That's severely OverPowered, and yet another reason the Musashi should NEVER be a T9.  Or, at least, should have MM modified so it it can NEVER see T7s.

Frankly, the overmatch mechanic itself is a bad idea - getting to ignore positioning merely because you have bigger guns is nothing short of a recipe for stupid play.  At best, the "overmatch" should do nothing except eliminate autobounce.  

One of the funniest things in this game is a decently played Musashi that is Top Tier in a match, with piddly Tier VII's.  When Musashi stealthily gets into a good fighting position, then finally opens up with her 460s, watching the reds scatter like roaches when the lights get turned on never gets old.  When I've played Atlanta, I've gone out of my way to protect Musashi in a CV match, just to ensure those 460s fire nonstop with no disruption by the CV :Smile_teethhappy:

Musashi hurts the big bad ships that want to destroy my Atlanta, and I keep the killer bees off of Musashi.

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,144 posts
8,762 battles
11 hours ago, Sovereigndawg said:

The turrets are not super firing or stacked so they play a little different, but Nelson in the hands of some one who enjoys it is better than Little Sister. You can get Yamato in the tech tree. You can't fire all gun until angled. I love ships with 360 degree turrets though. It surprises people that you can swing and still get all guns to bear, bare, or is that beer?

The Nelson has a huge advantage over the other ship in the game with this gun layout, the Izumo. It can bring that third non-superfiring turret into play a lot easier because it doesn't have to turn all the way around to bear on the other side because the parked position is forward.

[DRACS]
Members
3,348 posts

Nelson. Better bang for the buck. And I personally love the hell out of that ship. Curiously, while I'm not a fan of the tech tree BBs, I'm quite fond of the three RN BB premiums I own. Didn't grab the DoY, mind you.

Members
1,506 posts
7,931 battles

Hey

I don't have the Nelson but just because the guns are all up front shouldn't be a huge issue.  There is no reason other than maybe her slower speed that you can't be on the move and not fall into the only bow on mentality.  The Dunkerque and now the Richelieu do very well as all guns up front marauders; you still have to watch the broadsides, but then all ships are prone to damage by penetrations.  The biggest issue I see is getting in to deep in the center of the map where you get shot from both sides; but if played from a flank position keeping your guns pointed to the enemy and given yourself some room to maneuver after each salvo, it should do well.  The guns are known to be fire starters which should deter DD's and cruisers from trying to take advantage of your slower speed.  I would hesitate playing the bow on, reversing playstyle since it's easy to get your position over run, and there is no turning and running away.  Could be a very good division BB, with cruiser support.  It looks fun, challenging and different, and 16in. guns with massive HE damage only helps (although I loathe the whole HE spamming thing).

Pete

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,554 posts
3,734 battles

Musashi trolls the mm and is like a heavyweight boxer that gets placed in featherweight matches.

Can't say much about Nelson since I don't have her.

Beta Testers
178 posts
3,614 battles

The Nelson is a fire Breathing monster that will roast anything it its path and can citadel cruisers with HE ( yup that stupid).

However the citadel on that thing is above the water and only has 25mm bow and stern armor which means it will get overmatched by T7+ BB caliber.

There is a steep learning curve on that ship but once you figure out how to angle with it gosh it will burn the world. It as a fire fetish: Giving away and loving to receive burn damage because the superheal will print a new ship every other minute.

The Nelson should be your first pick but expect some frustration at first, play the hell out of Co-op to learn how to properly angle the ship and how to position yourself because that exposed citadel can be easily exploited.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,582 posts
14,010 battles
15 hours ago, Vader_Sama said:

Musashi trolls the mm and is like a heavyweight boxer that gets placed in featherweight matches.

Can't say much about Nelson since I don't have her.

Nelson is fine until 406mm+ AP shells start crashing on her.  CVs are also a significant danger because the AA is Tirpitz levels of bad.  Torpedo hits also nullify her Mega Repair Party perk.  She's very sturdy, especially when top tier and it gets silly.  But when dealing with larger BB shells, she has to be concerned.  The inclusion of Musashi into Tier IX, which Nelson can see, makes this a bit more uncomfortable.

Beta Testers
180 posts

Also, the thing to remember is Nelson is tier 7. Which means she gets that great tier 7 matchmaking that will find her, more often than not, top tier.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,142 posts
1,648 battles
On 4/5/2018 at 4:26 AM, NoCoGaming3645 said:

Hood has a large stretch of 51mm deck armor that will bounce 460mm shells.  Having faced Musashi with Hood, Musashi isn't much scarier to be shot at by than any other Tier IX or Tier VIII BB, or even most Tier VII BBs, those overmatch 25mm too and overmatched is overmatched.  The thing about Musashi is her 97k health and ridiculously thick armor, from a Tier VII's perspective.